PDA

View Full Version : Key/Mouse Configuration

dwnylen
08-16-2006, 02:03 AM
There's a couple interface settings that I'd like to tweak but can't seem to figure out how (if they're even possible).

I'd like to bind Shift-Command-Z to 'Redo' to match other Mac programs, but I don't see any key bindings that use the Command key. Command-Z is bound to 'Undo', but via the App Menu rather than the key configuration panel (where it's bound to Ctrl-Z).

I'd also like to bind the scroll wheel of the mouse to the Magnify tool (I don't see any settings for the mouse buttons). Barring that, is there any way to make the magnify tool operate on a vertical axis instead of horizontal?

Finally, I'd like to disable the roll in the perspective view, as it tends to get rather disorienting. I'd basically like to always keep up constant even though it would place limits on the rotation.

Thanks

dwnylen
08-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Sorry for the double post. The first time the forum tossed up an 'access denied' dialog, but apparently it still accepted it.

Chilton
08-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi,

After watching a number of people use LW around here (at the office), I had a thought about what I could do with the mouse wheel to help usability in the product. As far as I know, it has not been done in a 3D app before. Stay tuned. As for the key binding, I'm looking into it.

-Chilton

Dodgy
08-16-2006, 03:08 PM
My ideal bindings:

alt-rmb = rotate
alt-mmb = pan (in persp, pan in x-z plane)
alt-lmb = pan y
alt mouse wheel = zoom in/out

I know we all have ideal set ups, so please Chilton, allow us to configure our own view navigation controls. Put the LMB/RMB/MMB/Wheel up/Wheel down in the key board short cut editor, and the viewport navigation controls in there too!

Chilton
08-16-2006, 03:45 PM
My ideal bindings:

alt-rmb = rotate
alt-lmb = pan y

I know we all have ideal set ups, so please Chilton, allow us to configure our own view navigation controls. Put the LMB/RMB/MMB/Wheel up/Wheel down in the key board short cut editor, and the viewport navigation controls in there too!

Hi Dodgy,

You are aware there is no alt key on a Mac, right? ;-)

-Chilton

Scazzino
08-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi,

As for the key binding, I'm looking into it.

-Chilton

Cool. I'd love to be able to assign normal Mac command-key combinations finally... :D

dwnylen
08-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep my fingers crossed about the key mappings.

Any word on the perspective view rotation behaviour? I've done some digging through the settings and config files, but I haven't seen a setting for it. Ideally, I'd like it to work like a turntable as the view constantly flips around uncontrollably with the default settings.

Since the mouse buttons can't be mapped to different commands, I assume that a plugin wouldn't be able to add/modify this sort of thing.

Darth Mole
08-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi Dodgy,

You are aware there is no alt key on a Mac, right? ;-)

-Chilton

So, er, what's that thing between ctrl and Apple key? The one that says 'alt' on it? Or is that developer humour?

Chilton
08-18-2006, 05:49 AM
So, er, what's that thing between ctrl and Apple key? The one that says 'alt' on it? Or is that developer humour?

Hi,

Ah, on some keyboards (and on any non-Apple keyboard) that's referred to as the alt key. However, it's technically the option key on a Mac. I suppose they stuck 'alt' on there to appease new Mac users who are used to seeing it on PC keyboards.

-Chilton

Dodgy
08-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Presumably key/mouse bindings would be editable on both PC and mac?

Kuzey
08-18-2006, 07:15 AM
My ideal bindings:

alt-rmb = rotate
alt-lmb = pan y

Very cool idea!!

My G3 iBook has both alt and option written on the same key...go figure :D

Kuzey

BeeVee
08-18-2006, 07:22 AM
My IntelMac iMac has Alt and the Option symbol on its Apple keyboard...

B

Chilton
08-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi,

To be clear here, I have no say over how key bindings work in LW. I can pass along suggestions, but that's it. My interests here are purely from a usability standpoint.

To paraphrase the great and powerful Tog, if your app requires more than one mouse button for basics tasks, your app sucks.

So if were just up to me, the UI would be rewritten to accommodate single button mouse users better. However, the Mighty Mouse, recent PowerBooks and iBooks, and all MacBook and MacBook Pros, offer a unique opportunity in the field of human-machine interaction, with the advent of multidimensional input as a standard feature on all mice and trackpads.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE on the PC side. So anything I add here would have to be platform specific to the Mac, and likely in the form of an option that can be turned on and off. Windows, as a platform, does not support multidimensional input on all input devices yet. The MacOS does.

But this is meaningless without an example. I'll provide one in a forthcoming release.

-Chilton

dsol
08-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Multi-dimensional input?

Use your Nintendo Wii remote with LW?

(ducks)

dsol
08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
though - joking aside - something like the Wii remote would be awesome for 3D apps.

How about a interface that uses the motion sensor on powerbooks/macbooks to move scenes/objects around. Not very practical, but would be kind of cool in a party trick way (at least until someone creates a cheap accelerometer/IR based tracker device for macs)

Dodgy
08-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi,

To paraphrase the great and powerful Tog, if your app requires more than one mouse button for basics tasks, your app sucks.

-Chilton

To be honest, I find the alt-shift and alt-ctrl key combinations awkward to use. ctrl-shift is fine, but I prefer the alt-mouse button combinations of other apps a bit more intuitive. I even have Autohotkey set up to try to get the combinations I want, but there are problems which wouldn't come up if this was native to LW.

Chilton
08-18-2006, 11:45 AM
I suspect that as the number of fingers required to operate a keystroke increases, the likelihood a user will use that shortcut decreases.