PDA

View Full Version : Intergrate the free uv unwrapper?

KillMe
08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Anyone think that newtek should buy up that cool free uv unwrapper and put it in lw - its a great unwrapper just afew tiny fixes to it and would be flawless ( the flaw it has being taht it cant create a uv map itself and crashes when there isn't one - at least for me anyway )

its become a common feature in 3d apps and not having one as part of the out of the box package ( dispite it being availble for free ) makes people think that lightwave cant be as good as the other apps

and well that one is going for free so presumably providing they let him distrubute it for free for 7.5 etc ( perhaps it could be put up on the newtek site for them infact - free gift to all post 7.5 pre 9.x ) then he should have no complaints at being offered money for it

T-Light
08-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Aren't Newtek working on new UV tools for 9.x already?

KillMe
08-15-2006, 04:20 PM
dont recall hearing anythign about taht but i could have missed - but if they do it gotta be better than this guys tool for it to have any meaning and so far i foudn this tool pretty **** sweet

Bog
08-15-2006, 04:45 PM
I can see yer point, but a link to it in the documentation that covers UV texturing strikes me as more ... well... cool. Everyone gets the plugin, and the author gets his exposure.

UnCommonGrafx
08-15-2006, 05:13 PM
What a brilliant idea, Bog: a user-based repository of plugs here at NewTek so they aren't so easily lost. Also, to show the support, breadth and power of the community support present.
There are SO MANY gems out there...

Bog
08-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Flay.com does a superb job, but it strikes me as the most sensible middle-ground for NT to bring the Plugin Repository to a central location, and hire a couple of clerks to just keep it up to date, and maybe send out a weekly digest of shiny new toys.

KillMe
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
problems arises though if he runs out of bandwidth or just drops out of sight and takes his website with him - if newtek could get agreement to host the files too would be better but then author doesn't get people visiting his site so much so..........

and i still think it would sound better on the old feature list to be able to say yup we got a pelt mapper in there

WilliamVaughan
08-15-2006, 06:07 PM
If NewTek hosted free plugins then they would get all sorts of crap flung at them when a tool doesnt work. I think we can all agree that that is exactly what would happen.

Flay is a great resource and continues to be my first visit when looking for a plugin.

Defiance
08-15-2006, 07:16 PM
If NewTek hosted free plugins then they would get all sorts of crap flung at them when a tool doesnt work. I think we can all agree that that is exactly what would happen.

Side Effects doesn't get any crap for hosting the Houdini exchange. I don't see how this is any different.

tonybliss
08-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Side Effects have more logical users :b

duke
08-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Flay doesn't get crap thrown at them, I don't get it.

starbase1
08-16-2006, 03:23 AM
Flay stuff is clearly not 'official' newtek. The moment it can be seen as remotely official Newtek things change - I think Proton is right. Any time something stopped working with a new version, there would be calls for Newtek to restore functionality.

And given that they have no control over the quality of the source, it would be potentially a nightmare to maintain. I'm not knocking those who produce free plugins and scripts, but ask ANYONE who has worked maintaining other peoples code about how maintainable some of it is...

Also, though I don't make scripts or plugins, I do give away Lightwave bits on my web pages, and I certainly don't want anyone else hosting them. It's a way to get people to take a look at my web site.

Flay works.

Why try and fix what isn't broken?

Nick

Bog
08-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. My bad! Seemed like a good idea at the time. Didn't think it through. Was suffering from gastric pain. The voices made me do it. Et cetera.

And yes, Flay does indeed rock, that's why I pointed it out as an example :)

colkai
08-16-2006, 04:30 AM
Naughty Bog, go and sit in the corner with the 'bad boy' hat on. :p ;)
What would be cool though, it a list of plugins that don't work in LW9 but did in earlier LW versions.
Also, those which have been superceeded, for example, I have to ensure I don't load the plugin for David Ikedas tools now as they are in LW 'proper', likewise rounder.

Mind you, I'd hate to have to be the one to test 'em all to figure it out, seeing as my free plugins area has several hundered plugin idents EEK!

sculptactive
08-16-2006, 04:36 AM
If Newtek come out with there own Mapper it needs to be better or at least as good as this free plugin.
A good Mapper should have been in 8 let alone 9.

Dodgy
08-16-2006, 05:33 AM
I would integrate this plugin, it's almost perfect in the results it gives, especially in comparison to other packages, and NT shouldn't keep reinventing the wheel when there it so much other stuff they could be working on. Since it's free, credit the author and upgrade his LW for free :)

colkai
08-16-2006, 05:34 AM
I for one wouldn't complain if they took a long hard look at this. Hexagon got it close, but it should still be easier than that to unwrap models for texturing.
Hex2s painting was close but not right too, to me, these two areas sort of go hand in hand.

Anti-Distinctly
08-16-2006, 06:02 AM
NT should integrate this, but use their own edge system.
Consolidation of things is needed methinks.

UnCommonGrafx
08-16-2006, 06:53 AM
If they do it, I want it focused. That is to say, there are tricks out there now that would be great to incorporate into a UV-unwrapper.
Examples:
- Lay out the UV for 'the human senses' to easily deal with for painting upon. (ZBrush makes efficient but insanely binary uvs)
- Assist us in doing it as Steve Werner lays out for using multiple UVs in a map. That is to say, instead of putting all uvs in 0-1 space break them up to a tiled-to-the-right type UV for better space useage of uv space.
- Make it a button that can be pressed a thousand times, re-massaging the uv, without crashing. ;)

There have been some really cool advances in this area; it would be great to have more gems of this nature 'just pop up'. ;)

moc
08-16-2006, 08:56 AM
"- Assist us in doing it as Steve Werner lays out for using multiple UVs in a map. That is to say, instead of putting all uvs in 0-1 space break them up to a tiled-to-the-right type UV for better space useage of uv space."...
Hey...
We can do that by a free plugin......
go to the Japanesse...FI's tools
Find the "UV tools pack"........There a tools called "FI's PatchyUV"inculded....
PS:It can't handle over 4 point ploygon....(some seams will occur....)

Wickster
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I hope it helps to know that i submitted this as a feature request through email...maybe we could start a petition/poll and if enough users want it then maybe we can get an answer.

gather up browncoats we're off to pass a Lightwave Law. heheh :D

mkiii
09-09-2006, 03:08 AM
NT should integrate this, but use their own edge system.
Consolidation of things is needed methinks.
Couldn't agree more. Modeler has far too many tools bolted on already. It's getting just a little confusing for us old folks.

BTW OT: - Basingstoke eh!. I'm just up the road from you in Oakley.

T-Light
09-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Slightly OT but is anyone else having problems with this plug? I haven't had it work once without crashing modeler.

There was talk a little while ago of modeler crashing with new plugins (I think after installing LW Cad 2).

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this or if it's just something wrong with my setup. :help:

Maxx
09-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Don't mean to be thick here, but which cool free UV Unwrapper are we discussing here? Link, anybody?

UnCommonGrafx
09-09-2006, 07:03 AM
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

Maxx
09-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Ah - ok. Thought that might be it - just found it the other week and yeah, it should be part of the out-of-the-box UV solution, IMO. Thanks for the link!

moc
09-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Yes...
NT should integrate the unwarpper tools....
into the newer modeler(the 5 time openGL preview one.)
and use our native edge....and also edge looping....

We can't introduce LW to others that:
Hm.......LW defaultly without any updated UV umwarpper.......
But!!!.....you can get this from the web for free....!!....
Then someone may say :...Why?...is NT lack of ablility to do their own?
So do it sliently....

Anti-Distinctly
09-09-2006, 11:26 AM
No splitting, no nonsense... all interactive and with as few steps as possible. In 2006 there's no excuse for non-interactive tools and needless fiddling.

Totally agree. Where appropriate, all tools should be made interactive. There are many tools, that I have to run several times to get the desired effect because they're not intereactive, UV mapping being the main one. Use tool, undo, tweak, use tool, undo....

BTW OT: - Basingstoke eh!. I'm just up the road from you in Oakley.

Wow, we're about 2 miles apart. I live in the new Beggarwood estate by the junction to the M3.
Basingstoke Blows. Yet sucks. Amazing place.
What do people do for fun there?

oDDity
09-10-2006, 06:10 AM
Certainly an auto UV mapper that worked on subpatched meshes without any distortion would be a fantastic thing.
Does this plugin do that?

Dodgy
09-10-2006, 06:36 AM
I can do distortion free, but only if you 'slice' it along edges the correct way. For example, you would have to ensure the seam cuts would allow it to flatten completely like a paper model would.

lardbros
09-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Well, i hope Newtek come up with their own option for UV unwrapping. If the UV system is going to have an overhaul during the 9 cycle then there's no point throwing in someone elses plugin when the entire system will change. If Newtek don't completely redo UV-ing within Modeller, i'll get a bit annoyed.

Would be nice if we got more interactive tools in Lightwave, i think this should be the way every new tool is implemented from now on.

Slightly off topic, 3dworld reviewed LW9 this month, and despite beating Maya8 with its scores, the review was fair and quite honest and not hugely positive. The guy who reviewed it (Ben Smith) did say this about the camera tools though "blah blah..... and some rather convoluted settings"

Convoluted being the key word. Many of Newteks enhancements are convoluted when they should be either viewable in realtime or have a decent way of knowing what you're setting up will work, rather than trial and error all the time.

oDDity
09-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I can do distortion free, but only if you 'slice' it along edges the correct way. For example, you would have to ensure the seam cuts would allow it to flatten completely like a paper model would.
For an organic subpatch model, that would require a LOT of cuts.

UnCommonGrafx
09-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Actually, what I've found that works a treat is to just select that part that you want separated and hit the "make uv" button. One can do this for the whole object without bothering with those canterkerous blue lines. Mind you, I really like the blue lines but when working with the blue lines, it doesn't always lay it out nicely. With the method stated above, you can avoid the blue lines and rock on. There are a few issues with the method, though, that are easily overcome.

As to the cuts, oDDity, if you go into point mode, you can do the cuts REAL FAST: click point at bottom, click point a bit above previous point and the whole line is selected. Narrow the auto select from 70 to 85 degrees or so and it will go in a straighter line. At that juncture, you can go farther up the chain, from point to point.

It really is a great plugin.

oDDity
09-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah, but the point of Uv mapping is to minmise the seams as much as possible.
LW 8 or 8.5 introduced the different uv modes, like linear and subpatch, it would be nice if you could use the subpatch mode with a plugin like this to get distortion free maps.
The polygon base mesh on heads for example, can get quite distorted compared tot he subpatched version, especially if you use few polygons, like I tend to do, so the plugin would need to treat the subpatch as if it's been frozen.
I suppose I should try this plugin out before blabbering about it.

UnCommonGrafx
09-10-2006, 08:53 AM
You can.

If it starts of as a polygonal uv, you know - straight lines and all, you can quickly fix that by making a uv that is subpatch interpolated and undo that. Your formerly polygonal uv will now follow the subpatch interpolated version you chose.
From their, it will stay as such, even if you remake the uv.

Yeah, give it a shot. Then tell us what you think.

Titus
09-10-2006, 09:10 AM
I love this plug-in. In some models sometimes is hard to select some edges making the unwrapping a long process.

oDDity
09-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Wow, this does work even on subpatch heads with quite distorted poly base meshes. No visible seams at all. I just did a cut up the back of the head, and one up the windpipe and under the chin.
I did this in seconds. Far better than I got when I tried the unwrapper in modo, and certinaly far better then unfold 3d, since it doesn't handle subpatches at all.
It's not perfect, but only a bt of tweaking would leave it perfect.
I have to agree with you all, this is amazing.

UnCommonGrafx
09-10-2006, 09:23 AM
hehe haha lol

Told ya.

The writer did a bang up job on this. And... it's OLD. Imagine that: it was made for 7.5 and up.

tyrot
09-10-2006, 09:26 AM
I have to agree with you all, this is amazing.

dear wavers..

he CAN be OK..see :)

BEST

UnCommonGrafx
09-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Titus,
Have you learned to use the point system, yet? It's a middle mouse button function such that if you use a tablet, you may have missed it. I did.
Using that system, pelting a full body is quite quick.

I love this plug-in. In some models sometimes is hard to select some edges making the unwrapping a long process.

UnCommonGrafx
09-10-2006, 09:32 AM
My thoughts are that I've found him to be most respectable and honest with folks.
I have thin skin and know this. I think many of us suffer from this. One day I'll post something with the sole purpose of hearing the opinions of those who are tougher.

I think that this plugin is also amazing.

oDDity
09-10-2006, 09:53 AM
If something's good, I say 'it's good', if it's bad, I say 'it's bad'. Simple as that.
As a comparison, here is the same mesh with the same seams, auto uved in unfold 3d, not only did it take longer, but it looks like **** when subpatched.
Modo doesn't do it any better than this either.

Titus
09-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Titus,
Have you learned to use the point system, yet? It's a middle mouse button function such that if you use a tablet, you may have missed it. I did.
Using that system, pelting a full body is quite quick.

I'll try it, thanks. This was my first model textured with this plug-i:

JML
09-16-2006, 02:29 PM
this is amazing...
and free ! :D

rommany
07-03-2009, 11:31 AM
delete me