PDA

View Full Version : Mac / PC on Screamernet

Hoopy
08-15-2006, 07:59 AM
A newbie question...

I have LW9 running on a Mac. Another Mac joins in when I use Screamernet. So far so good. Is it possible to add a PC, or do all the nodes have to use the same OS as the host?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

jeremyhardin
08-15-2006, 09:58 AM
They can all join, so long as they meet the basic screamernet requirements (access to content files and plugins, configs, etc.).

However, different processors yield different results in dynamic calculation, radiosity calculation, procedural textures, and Hypervoxel volumetrics. The dynamic calculation can be saved to remedy this, but radiosity, procedurals, and HVs are just different and could yield flickering frames across mixed-processor networks.

if you look through this forum, you'll see quite a few posts on the details of this topic and phenomenon.

Hoopy
08-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Obviously I have come to the right place!

Thanks for the help.

Scazzino
08-15-2006, 10:31 AM
A newbie question...

I have LW9 running on a Mac. Another Mac joins in when I use Screamernet. So far so good. Is it possible to add a PC, or do all the nodes have to use the same OS as the host?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

To use some nodes on a different OS with screamernet you'd need to use a third party controller that can handle remapping the paths. I don't think the built-in controller will do that automatically for you when run on Mac OS X...

Here's my tutorial on using two very good third-party controllers on the Mac.
Advanced Network Rendering with LWSN Mac (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/advanced_network_rendering.html)

It's part of my DreamLight Insight, Mastering LightWave Screamernet on Mac OS X (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html) which NewTek used for the Mac Screamernet chapter in the LW9 reference manual. The advanced section referenced above, about third-party controllers, wasn't included in the manual... but you can still read it on DreamLight.com

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

geck
08-15-2006, 10:48 AM
The problems Jeremy mentioned basically come down to the fact that different processors use different algorithms to produce random numbers, which in turn are used to generate procedural patterns, radiosity solutions etc.

Hoopy
08-15-2006, 10:49 AM
You guys are the greatest! I know 100 times more about Screamernet than I did a few hours ago. Maybe it's possible after all...

I've also been using Vue's network rendering wotsit, Hypervue. It hooks up with the wireless PC laptops without too much intervention. Still, I prefer LW!

Thanks for restoring my hope in the future.

jdsax
08-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Well, CRAP! I was going to ask if different processor brands on the network did indeed give bad results. The isn't what I wanted to hear. Drat!