PDA

View Full Version : LW9 License Key Issues

HowardBerry
08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I received my copy of LW9 today (well, actually it was 8.5 with a download update for version 9); and I installed it all and got my serial number from Newtek Europe.

My dongle is recognised, and the serial number works too - when I go to register it in Layout it accepts it ("licence.key successfully written..." etc.) and tells me to restart LightWave. But when I restart I get a message telling me that my license key is not found and it starts up in Discovery Mode.

I've installed the dongle drivers (Eve3 and SMD), and restarted my computer, but nothing works. I've tried different USB ports, and checked to see that the dongle is recognised in Apple System Profiler; but still nothing works. Also the Register Lightwave app tells me I have a "Bad License Key format" and does not let me register.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.7. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd certainly like to hear them. So far I'm pretty disappointed.

HowardBerry
08-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm on a PowerPC Mac, not one of the Intel Macs. If that has anything to do with it...?

T-Light
08-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Do you have a red dongle or a purple dongle? If it's red then that could be your problem, Newtek are working on the issues with red dongles. If it's purple try this instead...

Try looking in your lightwave programs folder for your license.key file.

Make a backup of the file then open it up in an ascii text editor, and make sure it only contains one entry.

If it contains more, that could be your problem. Try to locate your original license key (should have been sent by email - it also could be on of the entries in your license.key file). Erase all other entries leaving only your original license. Save the file with the name license.key.

HowardBerry
08-15-2006, 01:31 AM
I have a purple dongle; and I forgot to mention that I had already looked in my license.key file and checked that only my correct license number was in there. No luck with getting it to work though :( Thanks for offering a suggestion though.

I think I may just wipe it and reinstall it from the beginning.

BeeVee
08-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Have you registered your LightWave v9? It's a different license.key from the LightWave [8] one. You need to go to NewTek registration (http://register.newtek.com). Oh and make sure you read the instructions (http://newtek-europe.com/pdf/Registering_LWv9_for_NTE_customers.pdf).

B