PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on the Web?

Wonderpup
08-14-2006, 08:58 AM
How close are we to being able to replace 'traditional' flash animation with true 3d rendered animations? Does the new FLV compression make this a reality or do we still have some way to go yet?

The banner on this site http://www.lexus.com/ was done in Lightwave.

I'm wondering if it's worth approaching web design companies with my services yet- or are they just going to roll their eyes and tell me to come back in few years time?

Does anyone see the death of shape tweened boxes anytime soon?

Bog
08-14-2006, 11:03 AM
How close are we to being able to replace 'traditional' flash animation with true 3d rendered animations?

Well, the "Pro" version of Shaxam should be out Real Soon Now(tm) which at least in Windows Presentation Foundation or Windows Vista will let you lob textured, animated geometry around the Internet with impugnity.

Dunno what we'll do about Mac owners yet, though.

Wonderpup
08-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi Bog,

It's not such much realtime stuff I was thinking about, but the possibility that soon, instead of the limited vector type stuff we see in current banner ads, for example, we may be seeing 25fps pre rendered images.

I don't think we're quite there yet- but it would open up a possible market for us if it does go that way- I don't believe many web design companies currently have 3d animation capabilites.

Bog
08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
That's a bandwidth thing more than anything else, but the current gen of GPU cards are more than capable of creating the vast majority of currently rendered effects (even including refractions and nice anti-aliasing) in realtime. That's really a question of content creation on a suitable software platform.

MiniFireDragon
08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Flash is different the Shockwave, which Lightwave can output. But the cost of Shockwave is $$$

Bog
08-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Here's a nice bit of 2.5D stuff...

http://protopop.com/games/nimian_hunter.htm

munky
08-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi there,

what about www.erain.com

makers of the swift3d lightwave to flash plugin?

regards

paul

Wonderpup
08-15-2006, 09:31 AM
What's interesting is that the whole 'look' of the web at present is a product of bandwith limitation, but the Flash aesthetic seems to have almost become an end in itself to some degree- as if that's how websites 'should' look.

I suppose my question is what happens when that bandwith issue goes away? Do the international corporations who currently settle for jerky vector graphics for their web advertising remain content with that look?

Or will they want to apply the same sort of production values to their web banners that they apply to their TV ads?

lilrayray77
08-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Isnt PIM tools also going to be capable of creating web animations/sites? I think that is the best alternative to swift 3d.

scabooba
08-16-2006, 08:59 PM
In some respects Flash 8 has introduced the option of fully rendered animations. I know I'm building a site right now. Will post link soon. But it still requires a mix of still frames and video. Still a 2 or 3 second video transition from one still frame to the next can be as small as 30kb and I'm making the site 1000x550. It's possible but it's not that full interactive 3d you might be thinking of. The notion that you can't build a site with fully rendered 3d though is wrong. You should def. hit up web developers now. Make something to show them. The guys I work with in flash don't even think about using 3d, until I brought it up. Let them know it's an option. I'll try to post up a little something soon. And I also use Swift but its almost just file wise as big as video. It looks great but you have to want THAT look. It's not an option for TV quality stuff. Plus the fact that every frame is it's own seperate vetor piece really starts to eat bandwith. Like this that I made (http://www.videoideas.com/bobtail/deer.html) here's a link to the website I've been working on. Sorry no load bar it's about 1MB so just wait a minute. Click Here (http://www.videoideas.com/bc/)

P.S. 25fps though nice KILLS bandwith on big video.