PDA

View Full Version : .max import?

thomasdrucker
08-14-2006, 06:58 AM
Hi,
I just purchased a .max file from turbosquid, hoping I could import it (using LW,Modo or Silo). But unfortunately it didn't work. Does anybody know of a way to get it into LW?

thanks,

Thomas

SP00
08-14-2006, 08:15 AM
I like to know too.

JML
08-14-2006, 11:04 AM
only 3dsmax can import max file.
(polytrans can convert it but you need to have max to make it work.)

the best option is to have someone that has 3dmax and ask him to export
the file to a 3ds or obj file that you can open in lw.

if you bought it on turbosquid, check if the author saved the object as other file types.

lion111
08-14-2006, 11:29 AM
if you think you can trust me send me the file
and i will translate it into 3ds or obj
but i think the textures will be lost
this is the way it always happens to me at
least

greetings

jl

SP00
08-14-2006, 11:36 AM
yeah, I always lose the textures too, is there anyway to do it without remapping all the textures? Like maybe a program can convert the procedurals textures into mulitple UV maps and save it out.

MicroMouse
08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
3DS files have the old 8.3 limit for file names. 8 characters maximum for the name and 3 characters maximum for the file extension.

Some programs will write texture file names that exceed the limits to the 3DS files. Max will NOT write long file names to the file.

Wayne

SP00
08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
The problem I get with 3DS file is that it triangulates everything, making things difficult to edit. I guess there is no perfect solution. Has anyone tried Polytrans? It just seems a bit expensive.

thomasdrucker
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Lion111,
thanks for the offer! how can I send it to you?

(I've never used the "private message" option here. Does it use email?)

Thomas

MicroMouse
08-14-2006, 05:55 PM
The problem I get with 3DS file is that it triangulates everything, making things difficult to edit. I guess there is no perfect solution. Has anyone tried Polytrans? It just seems a bit expensive.

Only triangles can be stored in a 3DS file.

Wayne

JML
08-14-2006, 06:32 PM

once you have the 3ds mesh inside LW, use "Reduce Polys" under the "Construct" menu.
this will remove most of the triangulation and preserve uv coordinates.

SP00
08-14-2006, 07:52 PM
once you have the 3ds mesh inside LW, use "Reduce Polys" under the "Construct" menu.
this will remove most of the triangulation and preserve uv coordinates.

I'll definitely try that, thanks. I hope it gives me what I want.