PDA

View Full Version : animating but not using layers

Atlantis_C
08-13-2006, 02:20 PM
The game engine I use will not permit the object to be done in layers. LW animation is great for organic objects, but for pieces of furniture like a cabinet with doors that open does not work well as the entire mesh deforms.

Is there any other way to animate objects like cabinets and lockers?

If not, is there an animation programme that will import .lwo files with the Lightwave settings and materials intact that will allow you to assign mesh to bone for animation?

Dodgy
08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
You can assign bones using weight maps set to 100% (for robotic type motion) or less (for more organic stuff) and it's a better way to do that type of thing as it keep your scene a bit tidier.

martinrandle
08-13-2006, 04:22 PM
or use seperate objects for the doors!

Atlantis_C
08-13-2006, 05:00 PM
It's not just this type of object, but other complex models that are not human or creature.

The game is an rpg, so the player is supposed to be able to move the furniture so it needs to be one model. The game engine can take lwo or lws files. Since the engine was made with Lightwave in mind, I'm surprised it does not support more than one layer.

Some modelers have where you assign mesh to bone and had this been the case here, it would have worked. I love Lightwave's animating system for human and creature modeling, but does not work well for furniture and non-organic models with animations.

Maybe there is a plugin that will allow you to assign mesh to bone within Lightwave or something.

Dodgy
08-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Check the attached file.

Atlantis_C
08-14-2006, 07:04 PM
What method are you using, Dodgy? That's exactly what I was trying to do.

I made the model in Modeler and sent it to Layout to add bones and animation.

Is that the difference between using skelegons and bones? I've never used skelegons as I thought why when you can just go to using bones.

What did I miss here? How did you get this result, Dodgy?

Dodgy
08-15-2006, 03:08 AM
I used weightmaps. If you position your bones as skelegons in modeler, then use vertex paint to calculate the weightmaps for those bones on your object (to get base values and assign the weightmaps to the bones) you can then set the points of a particular part to 100% in one weightmap, 0% in the others, the object will be rigidly assigned to one bone.

randysolo
12-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I don't understand how to open the file. But I want to animate stuff like folding chairs, tables with extensions etc. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

solo