PDA

View Full Version : Single Point Polys

avkills
08-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Single point polys do not render using Perspective or Advanced Camera. Any ideas? Render fine with Classic camera.

-mark

Lightwolf
08-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes, this is a know limitation. two point polygons and edges don't render either.
Basically, since these represent entities with no real "size", they can't be hit by rays, and the new cameras use raytracing exclusively.
I think it was mentioned that a solution for rendering those entities using the new cameras is planned.

Cheers,
Mike

avkills
08-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Hmm, that is a major bummer. Although if the new cameras use Raytracing only, then why are the checkboxes for Raytracing still under the Globals?

I wonder if there is a Node that can do it. Off to Nodal to play.

-mark

avkills
08-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Well I guess this is a wash. Anyone know when point and line rendering will work in the new camera modes. My object is rendering completely different in Classic camera, which means I would need to tweak my nodes just for the different camera types. :(

** Edit; Ok I guess if I turn on the raytracing functions using classic camera it renders correctly, although it seems much much slower the the new cameras. Oh well.

-mark

toby
08-13-2006, 05:35 PM
You could always use very small objects/4-point polygons. Might turn out better too, since it's not being faked.

Karmacop
08-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Well I guess this is a wash. Anyone know when point and line rendering will work in the new camera modes. My object is rendering completely different in Classic camera, which means I would need to tweak my nodes just for the different camera types. :(
If you want single point polys to render then use can use pixie dust, but I think you'll need to set up a particle emitter.

avkills
08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Well doing a starfield of actual polys would be pain, especially since I want them in the right place.

I am just going to stick with the classic cam for now until they get it into the workings of the new cams.

I may try pixie dust, although I am not sure if it will do what I want. I need them all colored by a Vertex color map.

-mark

toby
08-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Well doing a starfield of actual polys would be pain, especially since I want them in the right place.

Point Clone Plus?

avkills
08-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Point Clone Plus?

Hmmm.... does it run under OS X?

-mark

toby
08-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Ya it's been in modeler for years - just put your point cloud in the background, the object to be cloned in the foreground and apply PCP :) it's in the Duplicate section of the Multiply tab.