PDA

View Full Version : hexagon 2 displacement painting video

cresshead
08-12-2006, 06:44 PM
hexagon 2 displacement painting video

http://www.cresshead.com/podcast/hexagon2.mov

37mb quicktime movie

this is a quick tutorial on using displacement painting in hexagon 2
for those who are wondering about how it may compare to others such as z brush etc...seeing as there's no demo out i thought this 'quick look' may help.

just a run around...nowt major!:)

stee+cats

:cat:

duke
08-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Looks neat but quite slow - probably because of camtasia.

Nemoid
08-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Its slower than ZB, actually , BTW. ZB is a horsepower app for sculpting.

Hexagon becomes faster in sculpting if you hide part of the mesh. you have to return to level zero - no smoothing - to hide part, then return to your subdivide level of choice and sculpt.
(this at least on my system)

a test i did time ago.Hex 2.1

http://www.lwita.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3117&d=1147100369

texture and disp is painting in Hex. this is the Open GL screenshot.

cresshead
08-13-2006, 05:37 AM
ouch!...that head shot looks painful!

here's my morning session..over breakfast!

cresshead
08-14-2006, 07:37 AM
horse model :D

and yeah the movie screen recorder does slowdown interaction abit..
[recorded on a acer laptop 1.6ghz turion64bit with 1 gig ram 128mb pci express graphics chip]

T-Light
08-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Cress that's great stuff :thumbsup:
How do you find the interaction? I'm with nemoid on the speed, it's not exactly smooth, even when dealing with relatively low poly counts at say a level 3 subd.

cresshead
08-14-2006, 11:16 AM
the horse is around 2500 polys and set to subdive of 4 in hexagon...

interaction is 'okay' but yeah it 'drags' or 'lags'...also not found a 'revert' brush to go back to where it started so i'm smoothing my way back to sections i want to start again....i've not sped up the process by hiding parts of the mesh...might give that a go too on another model...

i think in the end it's a great way [cheap] to find out if this style of modeling is for 'you' and your projects you may have in the future including apply the displacements back in lw...then once your convinced you'd go off n spend on z brush or mudbox [maybe..no price as yet]

at the moment i'm 50/50 on getting zbrush or mudbox...all depends on what mudbox can really do....and how much..

hexagon is cool and i'd suspect that silo 2 would be similar in capabilities when it's available...

z brush though has :
z sphere's
masking
stenciling
MUCH faster/capable huge poly counts
..but that rather unintuitve interface....i'd buy a couple of training dvd's along with z brush otherwise it may just gather dust....

this is fun thogh and a great change to the more technical way of modeling with traditional 3d apps.