PDA

View Full Version : Help newbie with UV Map

flashinet
08-11-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm trying to figure out workflow with UV map. I want for start to create a box and cover every side with different color. I created first a map with spherical projection, it gave me for rectangulars to work with, I've painted them in Photoshop and assigned image in surface editor. It worked but 2 sided where smudged.
Then I've tried 'atlas' option to create uv map, painted it but I've got image with no clear seperation of colors as you can see on attached image.
What am I missing?

Thanks for help.

Sekhar
08-11-2006, 10:10 PM
If you're talking about the grey strips in between, I wonder if your Photoshop textures are tapering off in alpha at the edges and the background grey in LW is showing through - a quick way to check is to chage the background to a different color.

If that's not the case, may be you can post the atlas map and your texture file?

flashinet
08-12-2006, 07:46 AM
There actually 2 problems as I see:
I want every side of the box to have a different color but as you can see there 2 colors on every side. And the second problem are grey bands.
I've attached images of atlas uv map (boxtext1_map.jpg) and painted uv map (boxtext1.jpg).
Thanks for your help.

kruemel_1
08-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Your image fills the whole UV Map from 0.0-1.0. Because your image hasn't the borders of the UV-Map it doesn't align with it.

Karmacop
08-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Could you upload the object and image map? It looks like you have 2 uv maps (the spherical and the atlas) and even though you're looking at the atlas uv map, in the surface editor the image is applied using the spherical uv map.

Sekhar
08-12-2006, 10:53 AM
It looks like you have 2 uv maps (the spherical and the atlas) and even though you're looking at the atlas uv map, in the surface editor the image is applied using the spherical uv map.
Exactly, your map/texture look good - check your surface editor setting.

toby
08-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Are you putting your image in the background of the UV texture window? You can line up the uv's to the image that way.

gerry_g
08-13-2006, 05:17 PM
you appear to have trimmed the 'uv' space, and this is why things do not line up, the background grid in the 'uv' space is not arbitrary but of a fixed proportion, and should be the edge you trim to in Photosho[ and nothing else see pictures

Sekhar
08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey flashinet, see below for quick replica I made with proper mapping, in case you want to compare your setup. Do tell us what your problem was, in case we run into it ourselves in the future...