PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave v9 licensing problems

Mjoker
08-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Hello all, I just got LW 9 yesterday. I'm new to all this.
I'm having some issues with it. I tried to install it on a pc. I read (in a previous post) about a similar situation. However, I'm not having the exact same issues.

I finally got the program installed. However, the program doesn't appear to recognize the dongle. I can open the program, but get a prompt saying the licensing key is not found... contact Newtek (Which I have done and am awaiting a response). The program then goes into "Discovery" mode.

Any advice as to how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

androidmaker
08-11-2006, 12:15 PM
open the directory that you have lightwave in probably "c:\programfiles\newtek\lightwave 3d 9\programs" look for a file called license.key and open it with notepad. then just enter the key you get from the regastration page and you should be good to go. if that wont work try to restart your system so the dongle drivers work. i hope this helps

ChrisPitts
08-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi Mjoker

Go to the programs folder, and run the registration wizard, if you haven't done so yet. That will help you get your license key automatically.

If you prefer to talk to a person (and with our lovely and talented Customer Service staff, who would blame you?), then call 1-800-862-7837. Those folks will be happy to help get you up and running.

Happy Lightwaving!

Mjoker
08-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your reply. However, I can't register my copy of Lightwave 9 because of an apparent issue with the dongle and Modeler.

I'm supposed to open Modeler to get the lock id. However when the Dongle is connected, I get an "internal error" from Modeler. Yet if, I detach the dongle and open Modeler, it will open, but in "discovery mode". Of course in discovery mode I can't get the lock id.

I called tech support. The person I spoke with said there is nothing that can be done for me currently. He went on to say Newtek is working on the problem and to check for updates.

I guess I'll just learn and do what I can in dicovery mode. I hope this issue is resolved asap.

Karmacop
08-14-2006, 09:11 AM
You can also get your code in layout by following the same instructions ie click on help > about lightwave 3d.

The are ways to try and fix the problem you are having, btu I can't findthe thread at the moment.

MiniFireDragon
08-14-2006, 01:21 PM
There is an Icon in the Lightwave [9] Start Menu folder called "Registration Utility" It give you everything you need. This is how I registered my version of Lightwave 9.0.

Mjoker
09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
So I went through all the forums and followed as many suggestions as I got and I'm still at the same point I was a month ago. Again I'm a newbie to all this... maybe this is to be expected when you purchase 3D software, but I'm dumbfounded.

I have been learning the program in discovery mode (since there is nothing else I can do). From what I've learned its an impressive program.

However, Newtek's customer service has been awful. I have not received one response to my e-mail inquiries. Its easier for me to e-mail than call because of my work hours. The one time I was able to call and it did not solve my issue. All I got was Newtek was working out the dongle issues.

I'm sorry but its just a bit frustrating to pay for a relatively expensive program (item, etc.) and it not work out the way you expect.

I'm hoping the problem gets resolved sooner rather than later.

jbcaro
09-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, I have to say that my CSR experience was most excellent. Just called them up with my registration issue and it was resolved in about 10 seconds. They even registered it so I don't have to.

jbcaro

Cougar12dk
09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Same ****, different day.......... I'm hoping that when the disc version arrives, if EVER!!!, that'll work.........until then I'm stuck with reinstalling every 30 days because the freakin' dongle won't accept the lic.key(s) I've received.

This is SUCH bad service, I paid for the software last year 'round this time, received LW8 (which works fine), only to discover that, even after participating in the Open Beta, the final DL isn't working if I register it WITH THE LIC.KEY I've received direct from NT.

I don't know what number-time this is I've pissed and moaned about this freaky problem, but I can tell you I'M NOT STOPPING 'til I have a FULLY working version of LW9. Even if NT personell is getting fed up with it!

It also took a while for NT to become aware that I was, in fact, entitled to a free disc version. This has been one big showcase for poor management, people not getting what they've ordered and paid for, dongles that aren't working, Licenses that LW9 won't recognise. Horrible.

Elowan
09-10-2006, 06:27 PM

Go to the programs folder, and run the registration wizard, if you haven't done so yet. That will help you get your license key automatically.

Not! I keep getting bad 'format' errors regardless if using C&P or typing it in.:help:

Update: Seems that I got stupid. Fixed now.:thumbsup:

dvdguy
09-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi..l'm running in XP mode on a Mac Pro.
same problem. the registration utility refuses to accept my key. If I enter my code maually xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (numbers with dashes, no spaces)- or pasta the key and remove any leading spaces, I get the "bad format" message.
ALSO, entering the license file manually does not help either- I get a "license key not found" message. my dongle drivers are working. I noticed however that when I remove the dongle, I can write the file using the registration program, but I still have a "not found" error.
I've been a lightwave user since 1990. this is prety F-ing annoying- I hope you can help.

BeeVee
09-18-2006, 02:13 AM
If Like Cougar12k you are having problems that seem unsurmountable, try calling tech support. I'm sure that we can help, as we did with Cougar12k...

B

Cougar12dk
09-19-2006, 12:12 AM
@Ben: Except I'm still not running 9.. The discs arrived, but there was NOTHING but the discs and a shattered cover and a shipping slip and a receipt. Plus the content CD was scratched beyond belief. I tried the last given license.key but am still getting a license not found error.

BeeVee
09-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Sent you a private message...

B

Cougar12dk
09-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Good news :) It seems I wrote the wrong Dongle ID# and that's why LW9 was acting that way.

Thanks to Ben for discovering that that was the problem.......... a freakin' typo was the culprit :(....... *sigh*

Thank you again Ben :) ..... You da man! :thumbsup:

Elowan
09-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Good news :) It seems I wrote the wrong Dongle ID# and that's why LW9 was acting that way.

Thanks to Ben for discovering that that was the problem.......... a freakin' typo was the culprit :(....... *sigh*

Thank you again Ben :) ..... You da man! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club! I made the same mistake.:hat:

Cougar12dk
09-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Well, at least I'm not the only one ;):TU: