PDA

View Full Version : Arghh, need a simple and effective IK Setup for a human character

Dirk
08-11-2006, 08:41 AM
I need some help setting up the leg IK of a human character (in 8.5, because the engine doesn't handle 9.0 right now). Normaly, I would use an inactiv horizontal bone to connect the upper leg bone with the pelvis bone, but I tried to set things up without this inactiv bone. Now, the upper leg bone is parented to the pelvis bone through "parent in place". The Ik is pretty straightforward, pelvis is unaffected, upper bone has pitch and heading set to IK, lower leg bone only pitch to IK (the knee), and the foot bone is the goal of the IK chain.

Animations like walking, jumping, kneeling and running work pretty well with this setup, but as soon as the character has to fall to the floor, the banking of the upper leg bone begins to spin like ****, and its near to impossible to get things right.

What am I missing?

thanks in advance...

GregMalick
08-11-2006, 10:59 AM
didi you see this?
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12458&page=2&pp=15&highlight=Animation+Master

See POST# 30.

ps. And ask nemac4 about characters falling down. You'll get a straight answer with no whining about LW animation.

Dirk
08-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I looked into it, but it seems already too complicated for what I want to do.

I really need a simple (some may call it primitive) IK setup for the legs that works in a lot of different animations in one scene. The key point here is that the animations need to be in one scene so the game engine can blend the animations. The character has to run, jump, crawl, fall down, roll on the floor, etc., in this one scene and the IK should work in all that animations.

Anyway, I found a way to put the two horizontal bones back into the character. Things work much better now, but I will have to adjust the banking of the upper leg bones....

Castius
08-12-2006, 10:55 AM
IF your after a game rig you can use mine.
http://www.steelronin.com/index.php?page=downloads&content=rigging&tmenu=TMmain

ItsPete
08-13-2006, 10:57 AM
dude! nice of you to share :thumbsup: