PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop vs . . .

paulk
08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Are there any good, inexpensive:D alternatives to Photoshop for post-processing, such as Paint Shop Pro, or is that "penny wise and pound foolish"?

Bog
08-10-2006, 07:16 PM
See, what you need are tiered Photoshop manuals....

No, sorry, forgive me... g'night!

Mylenium
08-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Are there any good, inexpensive:D alternatives to Photoshop for post-processing, such as Paint Shop Pro, or is that "penny wise and pound foolish"?

No, not really. PSP is probably the best of all the alternatives, but still has some shortcomings. Personally it is simply to slow and sluggish for me as are also Gimp and other alternatives. I also do not like to jump between too many programs and Photoshop has a lot of stuff built-in so I don't need to. Lastly, these days it's rather difficult to get third-party plugins to run without flaws in other apps than Photoshop because they so much rely on its mechanisms.

With all that said, you still have some options. There is nothing wrong with PSP if you are only just beginning and since Gimp is free, you can always have it installed without feeling guilty. Also look into ArtRage for painting - at 20 bucks it's a steal. Also look in some of those "cheap holiday photo editors" like Ulead PhotoImpact. You may not use them as a primary tool, but they have some interesting semi-automatic adjustment tools. Photoshop Elements falls into that same category.

Mylenium

BazC
08-11-2006, 12:44 AM
I'll second Mylenium, PSP is probably the best alternative and very cheap but Photoshop is still the best of the bunch by quite a large margin in my opinion. I really wish there was an equally good alternative because I don't like Adobe's licensing system. It's hard to believe that no-one has even tried to compete with PS, PSP is aimed more at hobbiest/amateur market.

Anyway Paint Shop Pro is very capable and will likely do everything you need but give the Gimp a try too, after all, it's free what have you got to lose!? :D

archiea
08-11-2006, 12:49 AM
How about Mirage?
http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/2D_Animation.php

BazC
08-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Hmm, I've never heard of Mirage before, thanks for pointing it out it looks interesting. Photoshop filters only work on Windows for some reason though :(
I'm going to give it a go though!

Captain Obvious
08-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Cinepaint

It's usually superior to Photoshop, if you're doing color correction and the like in a high dynamic range workflow. All the filters work on HDR images. Awesome! And it's FREE! :eek:

RedBull
08-11-2006, 03:12 AM
Free ones like Paint.Net http://www.getpaint.net/index.html
and or Gimp/Cinepaint.

Also might want to check out something like PDPro
http://www.squirreldome.com/cyberop.htm which is a cheap painter.

Verlon
08-11-2006, 01:06 PM
I like Mirage (formerly Aura: the paint program that came with the Video Toaster) because it reminds me of deluxe paint.
I do not like Gimp, but it is free. I haven't seen cinepaint, but will have to give it a look.

Photoshop is still tough to beat.

Wickster
08-13-2006, 05:34 PM
You can try Pixel Image Editor...
Almost a Photoshop clone

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12

a bit buggy though but then again its in beta.

BazC
08-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Yeah ixel has a lot of potential but is very unstable for me at the moment.

Captain Obvious
08-14-2006, 07:28 AM
You can try Pixel Image Editor...
Almost a Photoshop clone

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12

a bit buggy though but then again its in beta.
Saying Pixel is a bit buggy is like saying there are a couple of grains of sand in Sahara.

ScottSullivan
08-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Since switching over to MacBook Pro, I've been playing with Gimp, trying to see if I can manage. I've got a version of it that is supposed to be close to PS (I think it's called GimpShop).

It's just "okay." On a scale from 1-10, it's a 5. It does what I need, for now, but takes a tad bit longer. What was once a 1 minute "open/paint/add alpha/resave as Tiff+A" has now turned into a 10 minute ordeal.

As far as batch processing, I think I'm now the batch processor. Carpel Tunnel, here I come!

Captain Obvious
08-28-2006, 06:34 AM
If it's batch processing you want, you might want to investigate the possibility of using Automator or AppleScript.

Or you could just use Photoshop. After all, it WORKS on the Macbook Pro. It's just a tad slow. But then again, Photoshop on a Macbook Pro is about as fast as Photoshop on a 1 GHz G4. I've used Photoshop on my iBook G4, and it was plenty fast. I don't think you'll have real performance issues running Pshop in Rosetta on an Intel Mac.

Snosrap
08-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Photoshop is still the best of the bunch by quite a large margin in my opinion. I really wish there was an equally good alternative because I don't like Adobe's licensing system. It's hard to believe that no-one has even tried to compete with PS

I can't believe that Corel Photo Paint has not come up in this thread. It has everything to offer as PhotoShop but with far superior painting and masking tools. It uses an object metaphor vs. a layer metaphor but they function very similar to layers. Photo Paint is also way more "painterly", but also handles photo retouching with ease. I have both PS and Photo Paint loaded on my PC and I'll open and use Photo Paint whenever I need to create art and PS whenever I need to make color corrections. (I really like PS's create new adjustment layer feature) Photo Paint is not sold separately, but comes bundled with Corel Draw Suite which may be why it has no recognition. The whole suite sells for $399 on Corel's site, considerably less than PhotoShop alone. I also use Mirage on a regular basis and it’s real nice too, but I must admit that its use is relegated to compositing my LW frames into animations with some FX. I wouldn’t think about using it for creating a web page or the like. Give Corel a try I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers
Snos

Captain Obvious
08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Does the Corel app work with Radiance (HDR) or OpenEXR images?

Penforhire
08-28-2006, 10:20 AM
I learned to bite the bullet and jump on the "standard" packages years ago. They usually offer cheap competitive upgrades at some point. Depending on what software you already own you might pick up Photoshop for $150.

Too many of my "value" pieces of software died on the vine while the market leaders kept on chugging. Anyone remember Micrografx Designer (became Corel's) or Aldus' bitmap editor (where did that go?) or Freehand (became Macromedia's)?

Nobody likes Macromedia Canvas? Oh. Since the Adobe merger it might fade away too...

Red_Oddity
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Microsoft Expression anyone?
I found the beta versions to have some really nice features, not a complete PS contender though, but when doing inking for example it is a brilliant piece of software.

*edit*
forgot a link : http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/default.mspx

Safe Harbor
08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
There is Aperture from Apple, and Apple also gave a sneak peek of a new "Photoshop killer" at NAB, although I can't remember what it was called...

Andyjaggy
08-28-2006, 07:40 PM
From what I have heard Aperture is a really buggy program. It seems like Aperture is aimed more towards content management and batch processing of large amounts of images, but I have never used is so what do I know. I love all the other apple software so if Apple released an equivilant of Photoshop I would be very excited.

BazC
08-29-2006, 12:50 AM
[QUOTE=Andyjaggyif Apple released an equivilant of Photoshop I would be very excited.[/QUOTE]

Me too! I use Photoshop mainly for illustration so Aperture is useless to me but I'd love to see a PS competitor from apple, I'm not sure what Adobe's reaction would be though!

Red_Oddity
08-29-2006, 03:26 AM
I'm a photographer and I depend on quality RAW processing. Aperture isn't it, in fact it's a buggy, low quality piece of garbage. The Camera RAW plug-in for PS CS2 is so much better, though it lacks the catalogueing and batch/management features of Aperture. But of course Adobe don't stop here. I'm currently using the Adobe Lightroom beta (windows) and it totally blows Craperture away. I don't think Apple can play in the same league as the real image experts, they can stick to making pretty, girly interfaces and gizmos.

edit: just so that there's no misunderstanding. Lightroom beta is also available on the Mac, in fact it was available before the Windows version.

I just use the Digital Photo Professional that came with my Canon (it's rather decent for post exposure/whitebalancing) at home, and i've been fiddling around with phaseOne's software (which is pretty good aswell).

lilrayray77
08-29-2006, 03:35 AM
I was playing with lightroom and I wasnt impressed. It was slow and didnt have as many options as photoshop, just a different interface.

Penforhire
08-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Nikon has a new version of their Capture program with supposedly expanded editing capability. Haven't upgraded my v4 yet.

Andyjaggy
08-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Lightroom has many more options than Photoshop - for what it does. It is NOT supposed to be an image editing program like Photoshop, or a replacement, or a cut down version. It is purely a RAW converter and photography workflow application.

Unless you shoot RAW frames with a SLR camera, there's nothing for you in Lightroom.

I find Canon's software limited at best, but for less demanding people it might be ok. I just need much more control that what it gives me.

Yes don't confuse lightroom with photoshop, they are different animals. I also find Canon's software limiting, it is kind of disspointing when I fork out 3,000 dollars for a Canon camera and they reward me by giving me crap raw software with it. The best raw software I have used would probably be bibble pro.

Dexter Welton
08-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Mirage is quite versatile and I've found Adobe Photoshop Elements be an excellent stand-in for its big brother; quite a surprising little program.

Paul24
08-31-2006, 03:56 PM
:lwicon: :thumbsup: Hi guys,
What about Dogwaffle..?
Any feed back?

Nicolas Jordan
08-31-2006, 05:50 PM
I used Photoshop when I went to school for years and never wanted to put out the money for the app so I got Corel Paint Shop Pro and have been using it for over a year now. It hasnt dissapointed me once. I actually think it has some features that make it better in Photoshop in some ways but I am sure it has a few shortcomings in some areas to. The only downside is you cant use Corel products on the Mac unless you have BootCamp of course.