PDA

View Full Version : Help with Modeler

DHudson
08-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Hello-

It's a silly and simple question - but is there a way to space items evenly? Like if I lined up 10 boxes and wanted them to be evenly spaced, the first and last box to stay where they are ... is there a command for that?

And ... what is it wasn't boxes, what if it was a more intricate like ceiling mouldings to be evenly spaced? Same rule?

Thank you in advance for an answer to a silly question. :)

Skinner3D
08-10-2006, 04:31 PM
:D One of the easy ways to do that is with the point clone plus tool

Make a box object in modeler and give it some sections put that into the background layer and put the object you want copied in the foreground PCP is under the multiply tab, and you have to click the more arrow to find it.

This tool works with anything as long is you put the object to be cloned in the foreground.

You will have to fiddle is the sizes a little so your object doesn't overlap.
:goodluck:

DHudson
08-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Thank you for your reply - it's just knowing all the tools that keeps me from being brilliant. :)

THREEL
08-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Hello-

It's a silly and simple question - but is there a way to space items evenly? Like if I lined up 10 boxes and wanted them to be evenly spaced, the first and last box to stay where they are ... is there a command for that?

And ... what is it wasn't boxes, what if it was a more intricate like ceiling mouldings to be evenly spaced? Same rule?

Thank you in advance for an answer to a silly question. :)

Just use the regular clone tool (Ctrl+c). You don't have to put anything in a background layer this way. So, for example if you want 10 total objects you would tell the clone tool to make 9 clones. The cool thing is you can clone your object (s) in a straight line by giving an off-set amount on just one axis, or you can stagger your object by giving off-set amounts in more than one axis. Also, you can clone your object in a circular or spiral fashion or even partial arcs by off-setting in the heading, pitch, and/or bank settings. Finally, I think you can, also, scale the clones bigger or smaller from the original.

Hope this helps!:D

THREEL (AL):)

DHudson
08-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Wow - neat. Thanks for the tip, ThreeL. Much appreciated. I have a lot of playing to do ahead of me. :)

Dodgy
08-13-2006, 02:38 PM
There's also the array command. Look under the Multiply section.

DHudson
08-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Array. Thanks, Dodgy. I will try it.

Silkrooster
08-18-2006, 09:41 PM
One thing you will learn about lightwave is that there is more than 1 way to do just about everything.
Silk

DHudson
08-19-2006, 06:36 AM
And it looks like I could spend the rest of my life learning all the tools. Especially since I only use a certain few for what I am doing. :)