PDA

View Full Version : Catmull clark subdiv

LMountain
08-10-2006, 03:49 PM
make a box , in bklayer a circle und drill it, now hit tab for subd and this donīt work for me!!! this is not the way it had to work!! this is nothing!

Lewis
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi !

What do you expect to get from this king of shape with subDs ?? You will need to make more CUTS/slices to BOX in order to get something normal but i'd prefer to see what are you trying to get in final model. SubDs (CC or SubPatches) aren't too predictable in such simple shapes and you need lot more sharp edges/corners/bandsaws to get it looking usable/right.

I agree that result looks weird but you won't get sharp BOX in any software without EDGE weights or more polygons at edges of box wiht subDs.

cheers

BazC
08-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Yes I think the end polys are just too complicated to subdivide, if you connect the other side of the circle to a corner of the box CC's work beautifully. Maybe Drill should make a better job of splitting up the polys but I don't think Catmull-Clark is at fault here.

gerry_g
08-11-2006, 05:37 AM
The way you are trying to work is how you might do it if you were modeling hardbody style, sub d's are something else entirely and requires a different mindset, here's two possible solutions below, but to be honest you could post a doze more, The chief thing to remember is to keep a good poly flow ( all edges are connected evenly in the transition between the outer box and the inner circle) and like anything it's down to practice and experience.

Chilton
08-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Finally! A fix that doesn't require me to go poke at LW's source!

;-)

-Chilton