PDA

View Full Version : Character animation tools top three picks....

hrgiger
08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
There have been some threads already on what we would like to see for when they improve the character animation tools in Lightwave. These threads tend to get unwieldy when people start listing 10 or 12 different things a piece and it becomes very hard to read. So what do you want to see as priorties for new character tools?

Please list no more than 3 a piece! I know that most of us want more then this, as do I, but for the sake of readability as well as prioritization, choose your top 3.

My top three would be....

1. SPEED.

I want quick interactivity when animating characters without resorting to bounding box or turing off all display features. I want good interaction in multi-character scenes.

2. JOINT SHAPING.

I want to be able to bend a bone and shape my joint(at the vertex level and without involving modeler) and have the software remember that shape everytime the joint is in that position. It should interpolate the points positions smoothly between poses, either from the rest position or an adjacent joint shape. The joint shapes could either be saved with the scene or object file or perhaps even a new type of file.

3. NON-DESTRUCTIVE RIGGING.

I want to be able to adjust my rig as needed at any time easily and without headaches, even after the animation is completed.

metahumanity
08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
2. JOINT SHAPING.

I want to be able to bend a bone and shape my joint(at the vertex level and without involving modeler) and have the software remember that shape everytime the joint is in that position. It should interpolate the points positions smoothly between poses, either from the rest position or an adjacent joint shape. The joint shapes could either be saved with the scene or object file or perhaps even a new type of file.

Yep, Smartskinning that actually works the way YouŽd expect it too. Directly in the bone properties Jointcompensation panel without cramming Smartiesmorphs without end into the deformations tab.

Oh well, we can dream..

T-Light
08-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Can I add good documentation for each element of the new tools along with thorough tutorials? I know it's not what your after here, but it would go a long way to making LW's new CA widely known and used straight off the bat.

liquidik
08-11-2006, 03:03 AM
My three picks:

SPEED: we really need to have better interactivity when using joints

DEFORMERS AND CONSTRAINTS: a good list of artist friendly deformers and constraints that can be mixed non linearly is at the basic toolset of every rigger

REFERENCING: yes, and not only for rigging and animation. I want to be able to swap a character, not only a model, just by changing the source file.

A little tip: have a look at some of the features here. They know what they're doing:

http://www.digitalfish.com/

Gian

Bog
08-11-2006, 03:10 AM
I would dearly love more documentation on LW's character tools. I haven't an earthly how to use IKBoost properly - I've seen demo videos of it used for lovely things (I rememeber there was one with some ninja type, starting and stopping IK chains at shoulder and elbow dynamically), but I still can't seem to figure out how to set the thing up.

It seems good'n and powerful, I just can't puzzle using it out.

colkai
08-11-2006, 04:14 AM
Not mentioned yet, the animation side of things..Basically, check out Motionbuilder and take the best ideas for motion clip blending / saving / editing.

Likewise poses, both should be able to re-used on any similar skeletal structure and be able to affect either the whole rig or a chosen 'part' of the rig.

If we took Motion Mixer and the dopesheet and then expanded on their ideas, (but wrote from the ground up), I have to beleive LW would seriously give other apps a run for their money.

Kuzey
08-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Those sound good...I'll just like to add ease of use for bones, eg less reliance on weightmaps or at the very least a good tutorial that doesn't use weightmaps in the manuals.

:D

Kuzey

T-Light
08-11-2006, 05:09 AM
A year or two ago, Pooby made a spine rig to react in a similar way to the human spine. He had this full rig running and scaling walls etc, perfect fixing of hands and feet exactly where they should be fixed, no movement at all. Brilliant rig but extremely technical. I'd like to be able to create that kind of rig, without the hastles of placing vast arrays of motion plugins into the mix.

Should say that if Pooby's knowledge of CA could be measured in volumes of encylopedia's, mine comes into the range of tatty booklet with missing pages.

The really good news is this.
Pooby - (On the up and coming CA toolset (about a week ago))

When this process starts I'd like to help as much as I can. I'd love it to be a lively discussion between programmers and Riggers/animators with lots of feedback both ways

Jay Roth -

Thanks, Pooby!
Looking forward to your help!

:thumbsup: Think I'll leave it to them. :thumbsup: