PDA

View Full Version : Occulusion Node question

Lottmedia
08-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Not sure if anyone has addressed this before but couldn't find anything. Really trying to get my hear around the whole nodal thing, but it's tough. I've been working on a tree that uses the occlusion node to put texture (or color) into the nooks and crannies of a model without using weight maps (the old way I did it) My question is: Does the Occlusion node cheat the shading once (like I hope) or does it update in some way? The documentation wasn't clear. I suspect it dosen't react like real occlusion (if it did my textures would move across the surface depending ol lights and such, right?) Anyway, thanks if you can help!

Casey :cat:

Simon
08-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi there - lights don't affect it only geometry does. It fires rays out from the point being rendered to see if they hit anything. If you moved an object near the surface the occlusion would be affected but moving lights shouldn't matter.

Lottmedia
08-10-2006, 02:28 PM
So using it for animation probably wouldn't work, hu? Poo. Hey, Simon, didn't you do the metal Grider surface? I found the thread but the pst isn't on it anymore for download anymore, is there another place I can get it?

Casey :Cat:

Simon
08-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Yes if you used it in an animation and the geometry changed so would the surface probably. I would use the surface baking camera perhaps to bake onto a UV and keep it constant?
I did do that girder, it was only a quick test though, didn't think it was that good, but here it is again if you want to play with it :)

Pomfried
08-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Well you can always bake the texture to a UV map using the surface baking cam. Not only will it keep the shading/occlusion fixed to one state of your geometry, but also your animations will render faster than calculating occlusion each frame :D

EDIT: hmpf... too late :S