PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading in the middle of project

wulfie
08-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Some have advised against it,.....but this project will not be complete for another 6 years and I wont be near a stopping place for at least another 6 months.

I am currently using 8.5....which is workiing pretty well although the bone tools are guaranteed to crash Layout.

I know LW9 has some great big changes and it's sitting in the other room calling my name. I just want to rip it open and install it and play with the new toys. What could go wrong? Any words of wisdom? Plugins that wont work etc? I mostly use Fprime, Sasquatch, C4 detonate, HD instance Mimic and can wait on the the rest if they aren't working with LW9. Especially Mimic. Any issues with Mimic?

Thanks for any advice!

Bev

Bog
08-10-2006, 02:44 AM
I think we heard some things about Detonate being a bit flaky, but don't quote me on that. Everything else you've described works just as well as it did in 8.5. My advice? Upgrade. If you've got that long a project, you'll really feel the benefit.

Phil
08-10-2006, 03:10 AM
Upgrade, but keep both on the machine. Some plugins simply won't work in 9.0. There are also some changes to things like bump maps and hypervoxels so that the output may be slightly different from that in 8.5.

You'll probably want to drop [email protected] a mail and see if they will either render a couple of frames from a representative scene so that you can establish if the output is similar, or give you access to the current 9.0 download so you can find out for yourself. The last thing you want to have, I imagine, is a change in look which requires you to re-render or otherwise adjust a good portion of your newer or older work to match. Until NT push a demo version out, I think it's reasonable to ask [email protected] to demonstrate that the upgrade is usable for your project.

HD Instance had issues reported during the Open Beta, but has worked for me on the occasions I have used it. I think there is a new problem report that surfaced recently, though I forget the details. I'm likely to be using it more heavily over the next couple of months, so will probably notice glitches fairly quickly.