PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet FPrime

kiwi dave
08-09-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm rendering out an animation at the moment using FPrime, and it's taking quite a while.

While I only have two macs, the lightwave render takes just over twice as long as the FPrime render, so my simple brain tells me to just stick with FPrime over using screamernet (I've never used screamernet before by the way).

So my question is this. Can FPrime be rendered over a network like Screamernet?

Cheers

Dave

wellsichris
08-09-2006, 09:34 PM
short answer, no it can't, not screamernet style

long answer, yes you can but you have to start a render on one machine and render the first half. then after you start the first, start a render on the second machine and render the second half. if the computers are the same speed the math is easy, if different speeds you have to compensate. also parts of scenes can render at different speeds depending on whats in the scene. so it can be hard to calculate effeciently to maximix your render. I'm not sure license wise how this works. but lightwave and fprime don't check for the dongle while they are rendering. so it does work. I know worley wants to do a network renderer. So i don't know that he would care though I haven't asked. and lightwave has unlimited render nodes. as long as it's just you using the software I would say it's okay. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

hope that helps
chris

p.s. don't just try to have both computers rendering the same frame range because they will eventually grab the same frame and screw eachother up.