PDA

View Full Version : where is the waterpool plug?

illusory
08-09-2006, 01:33 PM
I've heard mention by Dodgy and Larry S. that LW9 has a plugin called waterpool. Well i've searched the plugins, folder and all, and all the drop-down lists, and the manual, and I can find no mention of it anywhere..

So..please tell, where is it??

thanks,
NJ

Celshader
08-09-2006, 04:39 PM
I've heard mention by Dodgy and Larry S. that LW9 has a plugin called waterpool. Well i've searched the plugins, folder and all, and all the drop-down lists, and the manual, and I can find no mention of it anywhere..

So..please tell, where is it??

thanks,
NJ

They gave it a new name: HVDeform. Look for it in the Displacement Plug-ins section of Object Properties.

illusory
08-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks!

This is the single one-and-only thing they say about it in all 3 manuals:

"HV Deformer: This shader stretches and squashes HyperVoxel particles based on particle properties and distance between particle and mesh. HV Deformer gives you new levels of control over HyperVoxel particles."
The parameter settings don't exactly correlate well with that statement...
Can anyone say anything else?
NJ

Celshader
08-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks!

This is the single one-and-only thing they say about it in all 3 manuals:

"HV Deformer: This shader stretches and squashes HyperVoxel particles based on particle properties and distance between particle and mesh. HV Deformer gives you new levels of control over HyperVoxel particles."
The parameter settings don't exactly correlate well with that statement...
Can anyone say anything else?
NJ

I have not yet learned HVDeform myself.

However, I hope to learn more about HVDeform from TuffLittleUnit's original Waterpool docs:
http://www.tufflittleunit.com/products/waterpool/Waterpool1.0_Doc.pdf

illusory
08-09-2006, 05:02 PM
What I get when I apply this, is that my particles no longer produce hypervoxels.
I found the little dialogue showing what you need to set for 'proper operation'
It doesn't work.

Does anyone have a successful implementation of this they could upload?
Maybe I could see how this works?

thanks,
NJ

illusory
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks -- looking at that, most of the settings pictured (the ones that make sense) are not present in LW. So...they bought it, butchered it, and don't provide any documentation? nice.

Celshader
08-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks -- looking at that, most of the settings pictured (the ones that make sense) are not present in LW. So...they bought it, butchered it, and don't provide any documentation? nice.

No. The Tuff Little Unit guys are now on the development team, judging by the "About LightWave 3D" screen in Layout. So the TLU guys joined the dev team...and brought some of their plug-ins with them. Any "butchering" was probably done by the original authors of the plug-in. :)

illusory
08-09-2006, 09:54 PM
well maybe the rest of it is hidden somewhere in some mysterious place. I sure hope so. The pdf doc (for the old waterpool) looks really good. There's even a tutorial there, but can't use it because half the controls are missing..

maybe I'm just being seriously dense -- it's happened before..
been a looong day... :sleeping:

UnCommonGrafx
08-09-2006, 10:09 PM
It's what I used and found everything there.
Try this file out to see if it helps. It's old, from beta days, but it should still get you on your way.
http://uncommongrafx.com/examples/HVDeform.zip

lightfoot97
08-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanx for the resources! :thumbsup:

I had already found and and applied this thing, but didn't find out how to tune it properly. Now I think I'll have a chance ...

illusory
08-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Actually, I figured out from slogging through the whole waterpool pdf and trying a few things, how to get the other settings. Apparently you have to define a group AND a 'rule' AND choose the rule, and then the settings appear. Still trying to get it to do something though -- maybe your file will help.

thanks,
NJ