PDA

View Full Version : LW doesn't save all frames in RTV render

Dick Nelson
08-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I've tried to get an answer to this question before, but haven't been successful. So I'll try again.

When I save an animation file in Lightwave using RTV format, the resulting file only contains the last 30 frames of the animation. Yes, I'm sure I have correctly set the frames to be rendered in Render Options. In my most recent experiment, for instance, I set the frames to be rendered at 1-90. But the resulting saved rtv file contains only frrames 61-90.

Last time I posted this question (months ago), someone suggested using tga or similar format that renders single frames. That won't work. The animation I'm doing will be used as a downstream key in live productions. I want the light flares to key, as well as the objects, and rtv is the only format that will do that (unless there's some trick I don't know about). When you render the animation as tga frames, for instance, the objects key, but the light flares don't.

UnCommonGrafx
08-09-2006, 10:25 PM
It's been this way for sometime.
The only fix is to render to an image sequence, like pngs, then compile them into an rtv with aura, VTEd or some such app that will write an rtv.

Everyone will tell you: one should NEVER render to an anim format if time is important. If it crashes, you have to start all over again. For under two secs, yeah, it's ok; but if it's longer than that, an image sequence is what you want.

Edit: ahh, you just want to save the sequence in an alpha-aware format, pngs still suffice. Just tick the save rtv-alpha choice when saving.
Edit2: Lens flares don't show up, even if you had this rtv working. You have to add a plug in order for the flares to show up. Hold on... I'm looking for a program called "Flare2Alpha" and am unable to find it on the net at this time. I have it, can test it and pass it along if needed. I thought 8.5 had something of this nature; 9, too.

Dick Nelson
08-10-2006, 10:10 AM
>>Edit2: Lens flares don't show up, even if you had this rtv working. You have to add a plug in order for the flares to show up. Hold on... I'm looking for a program called "Flare2Alpha" and am unable to find it on the net at this time. I have it, can test it and pass it along if needed. I thought 8.5 had something of this nature; 9, too.

Thanks for your reply.

No, you do not need a plug-in (with 8.5). There are flares in the 30 frames that successfully rendered as an rtv and they show up and key fine both in the downstream key and in VT Edit. A regular rtv file works just fine, if it would just save the WHOLE thing.

I would be happy to use the png sequence. I agree that it's good insurance against crashes, etc. But I still don't understand from your message how I would merge the resulting rgb and alpha files together. If you do it in Aura, how does that work? I've tried it, but I still don't get the flares.

(BTW, regardless of the file type, the flares do show up so long as they are in front of an object and not simply in transparent space, if that makes any sense.)

UnCommonGrafx
08-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, in the png file IS the built in alpha.
After loading into Aura, for example, you can just save it as an rtv-With Alpha. I'll look at all the commands again to make sure my path is right, but I'm quite sure it is at this point.

It does make sense. I was thinking of the effect not being captured in empty space.

Dick Nelson
08-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't think I've made it clear what I'm trying to do, so I'm attaching a couple of files to demonstrate. These are two different renderings of one frame of the animation.

The file named "what-i-want-rtv" was rendered from LW as an rtv file with alpha, then in VT edit keyed over the video, then rendered as a still-frame jpg (the last step simply as a way of saving it for attaching to this message).

The other file named "what-i-don't-want-png" is the same frame rendered from LW as a png file, then in VT edit keyed over the video, then rendered as a still-frame jpg.

Notice in the "what-I-want" (rtv) file that there's a light flare just to the right of the K in the transparent area. But in the "what-i-don't-want" (png) file there is NO flare. THAT'S the problem.

So, I either need to be able to render the ENTIRE animation in rtv, not just the last 30 frames, OR I need to be able to render it as png (or something else) so that the flare does not become transparent in the rendered video.

UnCommonGrafx
08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Gotcha. I think I've not been clear cuz we are saying the same thing. ;)
For this to work with png-like formats, it would seem one needs a "flare2alpha.p" in order to insert the alpha in the png's alpha space. To that end, you end up with the former pic in the latter's format.
Fascinating that it works with the rtv plugin. hehe, it's not supposed to.

Edit: I found this plugin in my utility directory. Check to see if you have one that's not installed. You apply it in the image editor.

UnCommonGrafx
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
http://www.ats-3d.com/post_Alpha/index.htm

For an alternative and explanation.