PDA

View Full Version : How do you reveal a mesh ?

peteb
08-09-2006, 11:40 AM
I want to have a tyre generate over a wheel rim, like you see in some of those intros to games. I want it to look like the tyre is being generated in real time starting from nothing and revealing itself travelling around the rim of the wheel.

I've tried doing this with a half black and half white image in the transparency channel and using animate UV's to have it cycle over the top. This works but for some reason the only option in the animate UV's is to have how far you want the UV's to travel in one second before they reset to the start postion. I want it to take 3 seconds to do a full reveal but using this technique I can't get that. Does anyone have a better way?

Pete B

ChrisPitts
08-09-2006, 12:09 PM
There's an awesome (and free) tutorial on rendering with outlines on simplylightwave.com. I'd use that, and a time based gradient (or something) to have the outline materialize, then fill in.

Of course, that's all theory, since I've never actually tried it, and the rest of your fellow animators will probably know much better ways (and more specifics), but hopefully that'll get you going in the right direction :thumbsup:

peteb
08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Cheers Chris I'm going over there now to take a look.

Pete B

peteb
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Hmmm the site seems to be down at the moment.

Pete B

Wonderpup
08-10-2006, 08:31 AM
There's a really great (and free!) plug in called fertilizer that might do the job-have a look on Flay.com.