PDA

View Full Version : Flatten Tool missing

lightfoot97
08-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Wired. I have downloaded a video which shows the flatten tool, but my LW9 doesn't seem to have it. :confused:

I already scanned the plugin directory, but this one didn't show up (the same with the bridge tool).

Please help! :help:

Many thanx in advance!

ChrisPitts
08-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Bridge is in the construct tab, and Flatten should be under the detail tab.

If they're not there, then trash your lightwave config files, and follow this tutorial to rescan your plugins, and reset your menus.

http://www.newtek.com/faq/index.php?tree=true&category=75

If that doesn't work, give me a call at 210-341-8444. I'll see what other aces I have up my sleeve. :lwicon:

lightfoot97
08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi Chris!

Thanx for the tip! In 8.5 style the bridge tool is now available and works perfectly! :thumbsup:

With the flatten-tool it's another story. - It won't show up. :(
Maybe you have another tip for the flatten-tool?

I tried to call, but I was kept in the "your call is very important, please wait ..."-loop and decided to write instead (I don't know how much the phone company is taking for long distance from Austria to Texas ... :devil: )

greetings
wolfgang

Sidemark: I do not understand why in the default-layout the bridge tool is not available, but in the 8.5 stylen it's (now) there. - Anyway, I'll use 8.5 from now on.

EDIT: I just found out, that in 8.5 style (of course) the edge-mode can't be selected as well as the sub-d type.
So there's no real solution for the bridge tool. :(

EDIT 2: There is a solution for the bridge tool. It's called "connect". I am such a fool :foreheads
But I still can't find the flatten tool. - Or has it just another name?

ChrisPitts
08-09-2006, 02:26 PM
If it's still not showing up under the detail tab, we need to get in touch to do more troubleshooting. That should have fixed the problem. shoot me an E-mail at [email protected] with your phone number, so I can call you.

kirigoi
08-18-2006, 06:54 AM
I assume Chris Pitts has sorted things out for you. For everyone else, if you can't find the Flatten tool in your menu (as I couldn't as I use a custom menu set), first go to Edit Plugins dialog, drill down the Modeling category, and it should be listed as "Flatten", from modelertools.p.

If you can't find it here, reload modelertools.p, and make sure you've got the right version if it still doesn't appear.

To insert it into your menu, open the Configure Menus dialog (Alt-F10 by default), and search for "Flatten". You might have to search a few times to find the right one. It should be in the Modeler Tools category, so it's fairly easy to find it manually as well.

If it's black, it hasn't been placed in your menus yet. Just drop it into whatever menu you want (Modify->Translate seems to be the standard place to put it). Otherwise, press the Find button while it's selected, and it'll show you where it's hiding.

You can use the same method to find the bridge tool. I still use it frequently as it's useful for connecting seperate pieces of geometry. I mapped the l button to connect, and Alt-l to bridge.

Hope that helps.

SP00
08-18-2006, 08:22 AM
I couldn't find this in the production style, both flatten layers and flatten tool. I was able to locate it in the menu config, but it was not assigned to anything. Do you think someone can fix this in the next 9.x release?

lightfoot97
08-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Kirigoi!

Thanx for your reply. - I haven't heard from Chris about a week, so I hope he didn't give up on me. :cry:
We tried some stuff (reloading, using an alterniate config file ...) but none of it turned up the omnious flatten tool ("flatten layers" is present though).

I also redid everything you suggested, but with no scuccess. So I think the only alternate possibility is, that I somehow managed to overwrite the new modelertools.p with an older version.

modelertools.p
size: 581.632 bytes
last change: 4th of october 2005

Could you please have a look an tell me what your .p is telling you?

thanx in advance

Foxfur
09-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi. I'm new here.. this is my first post hehe.

I was searching for this flatten tool. or maybe something else but I need a flatten function.

I'm interested in sewing plushies, and for that task I need a pattern. I don't have any other ideas of how to get a pattern than with a 3D app. Then I thought that maybe that flatten funktion could help me.

When I have made a wolf nose in Modeler for instance. Then I need to kida fold it out, you know.

Then I want to create a char in Modeler, flatten it out in smaller different pieces, print them out, and use them as pattertn for plush creating.

Is that possible with that flatten function or do you have other ideas of how I can do it?

I hope you can help me!

- Foxfur

EDIT: I use version 8.5 and I don't have the modeltools.p yet but I guess I'll need it!?

Andyjaggy
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
I was having the same problem you would think a new tool that they advertised and even had a video for would be readily available in one of the menus!

lightfoot97
09-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Hi. I'm new here.. this is my first post hehe.
Welcome then! :)

I was searching for this flatten tool. or maybe something else but I need a flatten function.

I'm interested in sewing plushies, and for that task I need a pattern. I don't have any other ideas of how to get a pattern than with a 3D app. Then I thought that maybe that flatten funktion could help me.

When I have made a wolf nose in Modeler for instance. Then I need to kida fold it out, you know.

Then I want to create a char in Modeler, flatten it out in smaller different pieces, print them out, and use them as pattertn for plush creating.

Is that possible with that flatten function or do you have other ideas of how I can do it?

I hope you can help me!

- Foxfur

EDIT: I use version 8.5 and I don't have the modeltools.p yet but I guess I'll need it!?

Well ... the flatten-tool is dead wrong for you.
It deforms the geometry of a model: lowering or just "flattening" the height of selected geometry.

I dunno which way to do what you need, I think maybe some UV-mapping tools or some other kind of unfolding plug should deliver you with what you need. (I don't know much about UV. Till now I managed to avoid this topic most of the time ;) )

Btw, the "modelertools.p" should automatically be a part of the initial installment. But the flatten tool was introduced with version 9 (... and I am still in search of it :cry: )

greetings

BazC
09-09-2006, 02:36 AM
If you can't find any command try the configure menus window (alt F10), press the search button and enter the command you're looking for and press OK. You may have to try several times because more than one command contains the phrase you are looking for. Once you've found the correct command press the find button and it will show it's location in the interface.

Incidently "Flatten" can also be found in the middle button menu under "Modeler Tools"

Foxfur
09-09-2006, 05:57 AM

well I have been talking to another "3D guy" and he said something about a warp tool...or wrap or whatever, but something like that. he said I could find it in 3DS Max but that doesn't help me since I only have LightWave...BTW I got upgradet to v9 :)

About UV mapping, well, then I don't know anything about it too, but I will try to read about it. if I can find anything.

any more ideas?

all the best
- Foxfur

lightfoot97
09-09-2006, 08:28 AM
If you can't find any command try the configure menus window (alt F10), press the search button and enter the command you're looking for and press OK. You may have to try several times because more than one command contains the phrase you are looking for. Once you've found the correct command press the find button and it will show it's location in the interface.

Incidently "Flatten" can also be found in the middle button menu under "Modeler Tools"

Nope, "Flatten" doesn't show up. Only "Flatten Layers".

Foxfur
09-16-2006, 05:01 AM
I have the flatten tool. But yes I have found out that it is the wrong tool for me. Do you know if theres a kind of warp tool? I'm afraid not but what do I know?!

parm
09-16-2006, 06:15 AM
Edit>Edit Menu Layout>Configure Menus.

It's in the command column under Modeler Tools. You can put it where you like form there

LightFreeze
09-16-2006, 06:45 AM
clip

I also redid everything you suggested, but with no scuccess. So I think the only alternate possibility is, that I somehow managed to overwrite the new modelertools.p with an older version.

modelertools.p
size: 581.632 bytes
last change: 4th of october 2005

Could you please have a look an tell me what your .p is telling you?

thanx in advance

Hi, my modelertools.p , from LW9 is 764kb dated 18 / 05 / 06

looks like thats your problem

lightfoot97
09-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi, my modelertools.p , from LW9 is 764kb dated 18 / 05 / 06

Merde! - But finally I know what's wrong.

So I will uninstall LW9 and reinstall it ... (hopefully I remember all plug ins I installed ...)
I'm somewhat curious, if I can just install V9 from the convenience upgrade, or if I have to inststall V8.5 first ...

Thanx for your help! :thumbsup: