PDA

View Full Version : Where do your ideas come from?

stevecullum
08-09-2006, 09:53 AM
I seem to be suffering a temporary bout of creative block just now, so I thought I would start this thread to see if I can get some ideas flowing again :)

I've never been one for reading fiction, which I'm sure has had an impact on the kind of imagery I create. I would think most of my creative ideas come from films, magazines, real life or other peoples work. Perhaps I should read more fiction...

So, I'm wondering where other people draw their ideas from?

colkai
08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Heck, just about anywhere and anything.
Sometimes a thought just occurs to me, othertimes, a slant on something I've seen. I've got the opposite problem, plenty of ideas and no time to try them out. :p

Bog
08-09-2006, 12:56 PM
From a big stack of things labelled "Stuff I usually don't have time to model or render" :P

Signal to Noise
08-09-2006, 01:00 PM
One word:

Hallucinogens :)

Lord Snarebotto
08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I find that a good blood-letting every now and then is a cure for just about anything that ails you.:hey:

Lord Snarebotto
08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
One word:

Hallucinogens :)

That's three wordsssssssssssssssss:eek:

Plakkie
08-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Every night when I close my eyes the wildest idea's just enter my mind. Quite annoying if you need the sleep!
'Making of' documentaries on DVD's inspire me a lot, as do some films and books. Just browsing a good old encyclopedia (yes, with real paper in it!) can give some inspiration as wel: spotting that Etruscan vase that says: "Render me!". :D

WhiteBoy
08-10-2006, 03:35 AM
I get a lot of ideas while listening to music. But so far, my best ideas have come while I was either just sitting doing nothing or thinking in the shower.

Bog
08-10-2006, 04:04 AM
True dat. Good hot showers have gotten me through more projects than all the plugins ever written rolled together.

Skinner3D
08-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Depends on what I feel like doing.

If I really feel ambitious and listless at the same time I attempt to model the first thing that I see after I have had the modeling itch. Usually it ends up being a "I've got the basic shape, now what more can I possibly do to this to make it look weird" that usually results in more random things that I attempt to do.

If I sort of know what area I would like to be modeling ie character, landscape
I pick something from that general catergory and attempt to model it, and then I put it into a simple scene just to make myself think more.

:D Your other alternative is to start playing a video game until you see something you like and then try to replicate it.

Don't know if these are efficient creative block destroyers, but they work sometimes:bump:

stevecullum
08-10-2006, 05:24 PM
I just found a cure for the creation blues - I spent some dollars on a couple of plugins! (Vue Xtreme and the new Dynamite.) Now the ideas are flowing again :D

Fozz
08-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Books and movies mostly...

Bog
08-14-2006, 02:49 AM
I walked through a live fish market in Hong Kong a year or so back, that had me itching to create the squiddliest, most tentacular and suckersome creatures. The type imaginable only in fever dreams, or Hong Kong live fish markets.

Pamukkedi
08-17-2006, 07:04 AM
I get the best ideas from books: architecture for e.g. take a book about old Rome and bring the details to the future(e.g. if it is stone make it in chrome or blue glas). You can do that also with bugs for aliens. Just look around. Have fun. Pamukkedi

bluerider
08-17-2006, 09:20 AM
I think the problem when you start your Artistic endeavour you maybe try to find something extrodinary to depict, to make a mark. So I traveled alot and looked and looked.

After a few years it suddenly occured to me that the extrodinary can be found in what most people may find relatively ordinary. The local countryside that I have been trying to escape from much of my life has extrodinary qualities. However, don't think I'm still not trying to escape from it.

But most extrodinary form to depict is the wonderful and magnificent design of the Female form, sod the bloody books. Give me a beautiful womans eyes to fall into and I can try and depict that elusive quality all day long.

Ok, back to work.............

Captain Obvious
08-17-2006, 10:38 AM
The IKEA catalogue is my bible.