PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp and virus'

BazC
08-09-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm getting closer to actually parting with the cash for an Intel Mac and when I do I'll be sorely tempted to try out XSI (and Max?) which will mean installing XP of course :(

If I only access the internet when running OSX is there still a possibility of picking up Windows virus'? I suspect there is but I thought I'd check anyway.

The idea makes me hesitant about the idea!

Thomas
08-09-2006, 04:40 AM
I believe that BootCamp needs it's own HD partition.
In that case, I don't think that OS X could "infect" Windows.

But then again, I could be wrong :o

Regards
Thomas

xav
08-09-2006, 05:19 AM
I'm not an expert, but I think that if you share infected files from OSX to windows, those files can infect windows, even if harmless under OSX...

Sorry for my poor english,:(

Scazzino
08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
I believe that when you run bootcamp and Windows on your Mac, then it's not "like" a PC but it "is" a PC and the Windows partition could potentially be completely trashed by any Windows viruses that are out there.

The silver lining though, is that only the Windows partition should be able to be trashed and the Mac OS X partition should be relatively safe, unless you share files back and forth that are infected. Even so, if you did get any Windows viruses onto the Mac OS X partition, they really couldn't do anything since they can't run on Mac OS X... but they could be spread to other Windows users if you then share those files with them...

Scazzino
08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
If you only access the Internet through Mac OS X and turn off all Internet access in Windows, then you should be pretty safe, as long as you don't share any infected files from Mac OS X to your Windows partition...

BazC
08-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, that's pretty much what I thought. The problem is if I was to use Bootcamp seriously for work I don't see how I could avoid moving images and models back and forth I suppose the solution is reliable Antivirus software. It would be depressing to go from happy go lucky "I don't care about viruses" Mac user to paranoid Windows user though! :D

Weepul
08-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Is there a way to completely disable network access in Windows even if an ethernet cable is plugged in? I remember two years ago, when I moved into my college dorm, the resident computer consultants had left notes on everybody's door saying, "Talk to us before even plugging into the network!" Mac users were OK, of course, since the nasty viruses flying around were for Windows. Point being, somehow, they could infect computers just by being present on the same network...

Chilton
08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
It's simple--don't install SP2. That way, none of your Mac drivers will work. At least that's what I did.

Man, I really need SP2.

-Chilton