PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9 Install Woes.

Reece James
08-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey guys.
I recieved Lightwave 9 yesterday.

Tried to install it under OS X (10.4.7). It installed but the dongle wasn't recognised. I had read about issues with 10.4.7 and the 10.0.0.2 Sential driver and that 1.0.0 worked fine so I went back and installed that. Didn't work.
Cleaned it all out, tried again and it still didn't work.

Figuring that it must be a Rossetta problem I booted into windows.
Installed and managed to register as the dongle was found. However, modeler jams with the error RNBO[30]=0, Ctrl-Alt-Del then causes a RNBO[31]=0 error and it dumps me back out. I uninstalled, reinstalled and still did the same thing.

At this stage I spoke to tech support which I didn't get far with in about the 20 emails of the conversation.

I have now installed it on my AMD box as well and am getting the same error in modeler. I have tried fresh sential drivers off the web for the clean install on teh AMD box and nothing. I have even tried one of my mates Macs and it still won't pickup the dongle as being there.

Anyone got an I dea? I need to get this working.

T-Light
08-09-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm guessing as it's your first post you're new to Lightwave?

First off, welcome aboard :)

I would have said this was a hardware dongle issue, but if that's the case tech support should have picked it up straight away. Dongle hardware malfunctions can be weird, had one myself last year, modeler wouldn't work but layout was fine - Very Odd.

Try calling tech support directly (rather than email) and see if they can guide you a fresh install (mention the possibility of a broken dongle).

Also, you mentioned the dongle drivers above, are you using the very latest ones recommended by Newtek (should be installable directly from the LW installation) or are you downloading them from somewhere else on the net?

Reece James
08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Yep, I'm new to lightwave alright! New to any 3D modeling. I'll probably get to learn these boards quite well. Thanks for the welcome.

The issues I'm having under Windows will indeed let Layout work, but not modeler. As for the dongle drivers, I used the ones off the CD, but then was directed to online ones from tech support. They did the exact same thing.

At the moment, I'm waiting for an email from newtek. Hopefully with a solutions as it looks like a dongle problem. I'd call up newtek but the cost of a phonecall to the states would be a little much.

Reece James
08-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Hmm and here we go...

You are receiving this email because you have been having issues with LightWave v9 Modeler not starting (under WinXP):

"INTERNAL ERROR, RNBO[30]=0, Notify Technical Support!" (See Screen shot attached).

We have identified this problem only happens with the new "RED" LightWave dongle key and Modeler (older Purple keys work fine).

This issue happens to both users who have upgraded from V7, 8 etc (whom have updated to a new RED dongle) and new fresh v9 installs (with RED dongle), The current Sentinel (Dongle) driver on the LW v9 install cd (V7.3.0) is correct and current (this driver is compatible with Purple and RED keys), NewTek have now identified the issue and there will be a patch forthcoming. I will let you know when that is released.

This still doesn't explain the issues under OS X, but it is a start.

stevecullum
08-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Welcome Reece!

I'm sorry your jouney with Lightwave is off to a shakey start, but I'm sure Newtek will get you fixed up real soon...

Good luck!

vfxart
08-10-2006, 12:08 AM
I have this exact issue, but with XP.. I'd been on call to tech support a couple of times on Monday, and there was no idea what was going on, so we ran through all of the usual fun.

Any chance of a more public notice of the patch etc coming arround, anyone know how to prod a public face to the issue? I realize it may not be popular to advertise the snag, even if they are positive this is the glitch and it will soon be remedied, but if I hadn't stumbled acros this thread, I'd still be all over the map and I'm sure many still are. So, maybe a more public oops is warranted?

Thanks for posting this up...

Reece James
08-10-2006, 03:34 AM
It looks like this may be a widespread issue. Not good not good at all.

Just to clarify, I have the quoted issue above under XP. That message was sent to me as part of a bulk email from the Australian Distributor New Magic.

I just tried installing on my G3 Pismo, but the registration app won't work. I'm now going to find some unsuspecting G4 owner now to see if it will work on a G4 system... Wish me luck!

Reece James
08-10-2006, 03:54 AM
OK, I missed installing the eve driver, that's why the registration wouldn't work...

However, I have now tried on a G4 Powerbook running 10.4.7 and it won't find the dongle and on my G3 Pismo (10.4.0) to no avail. Not looking too good.
Edit: I think the issue may be a bit bigger than they think.
Being at college I have a myriad of machines at my disposal to use for testing, here are my results...

PowerMac G4 733 Mac OS 10.3.9 - Dongle not found.
PowerBook G4 Mac OS 10.4.7 - Dongle not found.
PowerBook G3 Mac OS 10.4.0 - Dongle not found.
Intel iMac Mac OS 10.4.7 - Dongle not found.

I notice a pattern emerging here. Lightwave 9 will not run on Mac OS 10.3.9 - 10.4.7 on a G4 system. I've emailed tech support again with these results, hopefully this time they will recognise a problem with OS X as well...

T-Light
08-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Wow what a start, several months in beta testing on 9 and I found about two tiny bugs (if that), you post a whopper in your very first post :thumbsup:

Sorry this is your first experience with LW Reece, On the plus side I think it's fair to say Newtek will have this marked up as a major priority fix.

ChrisPitts
08-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Wow what a start, several months in beta testing on 9 and I found about two tiny bugs (if that), you post a whopper in your very first post :thumbsup:

Sorry this is your first experience with LW Reece, On the plus side I think it's fair to say Newtek will have this marked up as a major priority fix.

Indeed it is. We should have a fix very soon. Hang in there. :D

Snosrap
08-12-2006, 12:07 AM
A co-worker bought a copy of 9 for personal use and has this same issue. He called NT support and apparently the new red colored dongles are all bad, so the story goes from my co-worker anyway. He was told to unplug the dongle and use LW in discovery mode until the issue can be resolved. Bummer.

Cheers
Snos

ChrisPitts
08-14-2006, 08:46 AM
..and apparently the new red colored dongles are all bad..

Incorrect. There is nothing wrong with the dongles themselves.

avkills
08-14-2006, 09:03 AM
I have an older style purplish Dongle and v9 has been working good on my G5 and my PowerBook G4. I had issues until I gave my day to day user rights to the Newtek folder. The HUB is problematic also, so I have it disabled. Runs like a champ on my G5 w/o the Hub.

-mark

drolander
08-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I have the exact same problem. Did everything you did, tried installing on both XP and OS X. No go.

I wouldn't call this a "snag", or a "glitch", this is a major screw up. It doesn't impress this new LW user.

shrox
08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
I have been using Lightwave since "SeaQuest", this is the first major problem I can remember, but it is a big one!!

shrox
08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I have the exact same problem. Did everything you did, tried installing on both XP and OS X. No go.

I wouldn't call this a "snag", or a "glitch", this is a major screw up. It doesn't impress this new LW user.

They will fix it. They always do.

gatesoffire1178
08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I ordered lightwave back in December and I got Vue, the free package the upgrade came with soon after. But for some reason I haven't received Lightwave 9 whatsoever. Is this only happening to me, I never received any alert by email or anything and I didnt pay 400$ just to get Vue. By all means I'm not criticizing Newtek, although I am upset with them. I do love Lightwave and just want to receive the upgrade I shoulder get considering I paid for it.

T-Light
08-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Depending on the package you bought and where you bought it depends on wether you'll recieve LW by post. You will already have access to LW via download. If your not registered, then visit the link below, you will then have access to V9 and all documentation shortly afterwards :)

http://register.newtek.com/

gatesoffire1178
08-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes but don't I need another dongle for V9. Or do I just use the one I still have for v8? Also my license key isn't working for some reason, it says its the wrong amount of characters.

gatesoffire1178
08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
O and I bought the 400$ upgrade, the basic one. Yes I downloaded it but I still need a new dongle right?

dgon64
08-14-2006, 04:30 PM
No you use the same dongle. Just make sure you update the dongle drivers.

T-Light
08-15-2006, 11:41 AM
DGon's right, it's the same dongle. You do need your LW 9 license key though, that is different. Here's what BeeVee posted in another thread.

BeeVee -

Have you registered your LightWave v9? It's a different license.key from the LightWave [8] one. You need to go to NewTek registration. Oh and make sure you read the instructions.

B
Hope that helps :)

EDIT [missed some bits]
Registration page :
http://register.newtek.com/

Instructions (V important)
http://newtek-europe.com/pdf/Registering_LWv9_for_NTE_customers.pdf

gatesoffire1178
08-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks, I thought different cause I heard about these red dongles, so I thought I was supposed to get one.

gatesoffire1178
08-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks, I thought different cause I heard about these red dongles, so I thought I was supposed to get one.

vfxart
08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Does anyone know if there's been any development on the RNBO error?

Shadowcat101
08-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I too have exactly the same problem, every time I use that USB thing, modeler dies on start up, but layout works.

On a said note, do I have to have that red USB plugged in to my PC every time I want to run the program? Plugging it in and out is a pain, but with out it I’m stuck in Discovery Edition.. not that modeler works with it plugged in.

I feel I have wasted a lot of money :(

Chuckpie
08-18-2006, 07:57 AM
I received V9 yesterday, spent 20 min. with them and was told the problem was the red dongle and they would send out a purple one this morning. I will post if this is a fix for not being able to use the modler. If it does not work I will request a RMA and purchase Maya's new version. I really would like to keep Lightwave but I need to work on some projects. I guess my business is from the old school but with all the bata testing and newtek evaluating the software there is no excuse for shipping a product that does not work. It is a big blackeye for them and a selling point for Maya and other like software, too bad.

T-Light
08-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Shadowcat101 -

On a said note, do I have to have that red USB plugged in to my PC every time I want to run the program? Plugging it in and out is a pain, but with out it I’m stuck in Discovery Edition.. not that modeler works with it plugged in.

I feel I have wasted a lot of money.

There's a lot of software out there that use dongle's. If you use a stationary machine, just keep the dongle pemanently plugged into a USB slot (preferably on the back out of harms way), if you use a laptop, see if you have a usb extension cable and plug the dongle into that (saves wear and tear on the dongle).

As for the red dongle issue, you shouldn't be waiting much longer for the fix. :)

Chuckpie -

I will post if this is a fix for not being able to use the modler. If it does not work I will request a RMA and purchase Maya's new version.
The purple dongle's work, period. If they said they'd send you one out this morning you should be getting it post haste :)

Chuckpie
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I had the same issue with the error message when trying to open the modeler in windows xp pro. Tech support sent me a purple dongle, to replace the red one that came with the software, this morning. I did a complete uninstall, reinstalled the software and everything is fine now. I did however have to call customer service to get a new License Key Number.
Thanks Newtek support.:)

drolander
08-18-2006, 10:10 AM

vfxart
08-18-2006, 10:36 AM
I was supposed to hear back from a fella at Tech Support, but so far nothing, and now I read that some folks are being sent new dongles...? The heck is going on?!

Shadowcat101
08-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Indeed. Some News as to what is happening would put my mind at rest a little. Should I be trying to get a new dongle too? (it would take some time to get one to NZ) or wait for this patch, that they have not even announced to be making on their big site 8~ .

Thanks for telling me T-Light, I can live with having a dongle, if the thing would make the software go, and not crash it.

Smcrorey
08-18-2006, 04:34 PM
I had the same issue with the error message when trying to open the modeler in windows xp pro. Tech support sent me a purple dongle, to replace the red one that came with the software, this morning. I did a complete uninstall, reinstalled the software and everything is fine now. I did however have to call customer service to get a new License Key Number.
Thanks Newtek support.:)

I should be happy.. because there's a fix.. But.. instead, color me pretty pissed off..

1.) Chris said there was nothing wrong with the dongles.. If there's nothing wrong with the dongles, then why is this dude getting a working one?

2.) Same tech rep posted to watch these forums for information. WHAT INFORMATION? THERE WAS NO INFORMATION other than THIS dude is getting a new dongle, and it seems to cure what ails him.

3.) I've been registered since I recieved the software, and yet, *I* have to come and check up on the forum every day to look for information on a fix, when in actuallity it's in the COMPANY'S best interest to keep their customers up-to-snuff on what's going on ESPECIALLY with a problem THIS HUGE. But then.. it's also in the best interest of the company to release a working product..

4.) Upon reading chuckpie's post, I immediately picked up the phone to call up tech support, only to find that they apparently check out 30-45 minutes early on Fridays. If not, they kill the queue early, which is ALSO bad business practice, and if this were baseball, they'd be out, and Maya would win the day :\

check the time on my post.. it is 5:34 CST as of this exact moment.. I've revised, and removed rant from several areas of this post as well as read, and re-read it to make sure that through my distaste one could still discern what it is I'm angry about.

Shadowcat101
08-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Come on NewTek, tell us or me something. Cutomer Service or Tech Support are not even getting back to me, and its been 4-5 days :cursin:

Reece James
08-21-2006, 10:52 PM
NewTek have now concluded they have had a small batch with this problem and we are just to swap over your dongle with another (purple) model.

Can you please express post (or use another traceable means) your existing dongle back to New Magic (NSW) and we will replace the dongle with a new one.

We are sorry about the inconvenience but this situation is out of our control.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55207&page=4