PDA

View Full Version : texture repeat problem

Rayek
08-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Okay, this might seem silly, but I can't for the world figure out a satisfying solution. Might be I need some sleep...

I'm working on a realtime model of several historical buildings. Some ornaments are too much of a burden to perform in realtime, so I'm using the "flat polygon with an alpha channel" trick to show these ornaments. At least, that's the plan.

Here's my problem:

one polygon in modeller:

http://www.lavaworks.nl/images/single.jpg

Now I clone this polygon to add more:

http://www.lavaworks.nl/images/multiple.jpg

See the problem? The polygons slide through the texture space, so the texture map doesn't fit.

However, I want those maps to fit... One solution is using seperate surfaces, but that would mean creating tenths of surfaces. Not a solution.

Or use an uvw map. But that would only decrease the resolution of the original texture map and take up an unnecessary amount of texture memory.

Or creating a texture map that precisely repeats the spacing of the ornaments, but that's very difficult, if not impossible, to get right.

Another solution would be creating a single polygon in Modeller and importing that in Layout, but I've been creating my buildings in Modeller and I wouldn't really want to copy that single polygon umpteenth times in Layout. Very unwieldy.

So any suggestions would be VERY welcome...

Cheers,

R.

iconoclasty
08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
The simplest solution would be to make a quick simple UV map. Unless you did something crazy, it wouldn't decrease the resolution of your texture and it wouldn't take up anymore texture memory.

Just make a planar UV map (looks like it would be alone the X axis). Leave the UV map taking up the whole grid. It should be that way by default. Then use the same image you used normally and it should fit the rectangle just like it is. Then clone out the object and they will all fit perfectly. I'm not sure why you think this will hurt your resolution.

Rayek
08-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Thank you! Works like a charm. I was working this out in the middle of the night, and couldn't get it right (or think straight, it turns out...).

As to why I thought this would reduce the resolution: one other solution would've been to map all ornaments to one uv map. Clearly your solution is much more logical, mapping this one poly, where I was thinking mapping them all at once.

Thanks again!

R.

iconoclasty
08-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Oh, I got ya. Glad this works out for you.