PDA

View Full Version : Problem with edge sharpness and extrude

XiliX
08-08-2006, 08:23 AM
I began a new model the other night and decided to try the "Set Sharpness" for edges. I was using catmul clark sub-d's. When I set the sharpness of an edge to 100% and try to extrude the poly's on that edge, the points along the edge that's set to 100% seem to become disconnected.

If any of you want to try this to verify, try the following steps.

1. Create a disc with some thickness so it looks similar to a poker chip.

2. Set sub-d's to catmul clark and then apply sub-d's to the poker chip.

3. Select the upper and lower outside edges and set sharpness to 100%

4. Select the poly's on the outside edge and extrude them to make the disc diameter larger.

When the disc is extruded, the poly's become twisted and seem to disconnect from each other. I've also tried this with smooth shift and get the same results.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to try some more experiments tonight. I'll post some screens if I get a chance.

XiliX

Sensei
08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
That's known issue. None of built-in Modeler dividing tools like Knife does not preserve edge weighting..

XiliX
08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Well, I'm not saying that it doesn't preserve the weight, I'm saying that it jacks up the model. If it didn't preserve the weight, I would be fine with that, I would just reapply the weight and go on. What it does is make all the polys that are connected to a 100% sharpened edge look disconnected from each other.

In essence it makes the set sharpness feature all but useless.

XiliX

Sensei
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
I know what is the problem, and just informed you that it's caused by not preserving Edge Weighting.. I wrote AdjustSharpness (Set Sharpness equivalent but interactive tool that you can download on our site http://www.trueart.eu) It happens when tool removes existing polygon during its operation and makes exactly the same using older points, that's why also even Add Points in some circumstances is breaking Edge Weighting..

TrueArt will make soon a lot of dividing tools that does not break Edge Weighting, equivalent of built-in Modeler tools but fixed..

Sensei
08-08-2006, 09:20 AM
BTW, you cannot "apply weight" to edge weight map other way than using Set Sharpness, Inc Sharpness, Dec Sharpness or our Adjust Sharpness.. It's simply impossible.. Anything in Map menu without "sharpness" in the name is working with Vertex Maps and does nothing with Edge Weight map..

XiliX
08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Sensei,

I didn't mean any disrespect at all. I was aware of your work and it is impressive and I'm sure I'll use your tools in future modeling. If I came off rude, it was just because I was frustrated. I appologize.

Thanks for all the replies,

XiliX