PDA

View Full Version : edge weight disappeared

IRML
08-08-2006, 06:42 AM
I've just got around to installing LW9 and when I first ran modeller I could see 'edge weights' in the weight map menu in the bottom right hand corner along with 'SubPatch Weights'

so I created a box and tried to use this on some edges and it didn't work, then I realised I was still in regular SubDs so I switched to catmull-clark and I could see the changes, it looked like it worked fine, but after this the edge weights were gone from the weight map menu, it's just 'SubPatch Weights' now like it used to be in v8, anyone know what's wrong?

colkai
08-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Yup, edge weights are not part of a weight map, they have their own setup (sharpness). I fell over this one myself a few days ago.

duke
08-08-2006, 07:18 AM
So is that "edge weights" weightmap some kind of legacy thing they forgot to pull out or something?

Sensei
08-08-2006, 07:21 AM
You set Edge Weights by using Modeler's Set Sharpness, Inc Sharpness and Dec Sharpness, or you can try our newest freeware interactive equivalent Adjust Sharpness, that can be downloaded from http://www.trueart.eu

Sensei
08-08-2006, 07:25 AM
So is that "edge weights" weightmap some kind of legacy thing they forgot to pull out or something?

No. It's part of the system, dynamically created as soon as you click on edge and use one of Edge Weighting tools. But it does not work with vertices but is for edges. You cannot edit it (or see) by any VMap tool, just by Set Sharpness, Inc Sharpness, Dec Sharpness and our Adjust Sharpness mentioned in the above message..

IRML
08-08-2006, 08:09 AM
ok I see now, it does appear again once I use set sharpness, I think it would be better if it was just there all the time and you could use the airbrush tool on it like you can with the usual wieght maps

thanks for the help guys, I'll give that plugin a try too

Sensei
08-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Disappearing edge weighting/sharpness after using polygon flow modifing tools (f.e. dividing like Knife) that are not written with preserving edge weighting in mind is another story..