PDA

View Full Version : Any luddites here?

Johnny
08-08-2006, 04:31 AM
anyone here currently using LW 8.5/Tiger and plans to stay put for awhile?

nothing against newer versions of either, but more like, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" kind of thing?

now and again, I notice some advice giver on the forum is still using an older version of LW, so it must be possible without too many barked knuckles...

just curious..

J

Kuzey
08-08-2006, 04:53 AM
My situation is as follows, I own LW9 but haven't got the hardware to run it. To top that off I'm a long way from home and I'm not comfortable with upgrading my gear in (europe/asia). Also, I'm not sure how long I'm going to stay but I would so love it if I were using it right now.

But it looks like I'll get some cash from a current project and might fly to the UK to pick up a Macbook Pro.

So for now, I'm using LW7.5 and playing around in LW8.5 which is still new to me :D

kuzey

tyrot
08-08-2006, 05:40 AM
dear johnny

in 10 years i learned one thing. Do not use an upgrade right away. If you have a decent business, Clients wont get crazy about for you if you Use better version of your software. No, they just give the same dateline and wait for their service...(of course better version, better quality and better service, more clients)

1- It is not heathy to read every bug list and to track where is the problem, my side? or software side? There are many volunteers who have time and patience to write, to report. (unless i m in beta testing i dont do that, it cost me money)

2- I have many third party small gadgets and this inner testing process needs time (Some tools i use may be forgotten or not important for many but for my workflow, they are priceless, so i rather use my time writing emails to third parties to fix the leaks even donate money for urgent care...time is money)

3- I dont like to complain in software developer forums. Instead of moaning around that is broken, this is sucko, I sit and continue my work in earlier version (get money daily) and wait for at least .2 version (can be .1) plus i do wait for third party training sources. Books, videos. If someone is showing what is happening with new feature and if it works overthere it usually works here too.

BEST
(PS:holymumbo, i didnt notice this thread is in LW MAC.anyways.If i had a mac, I would triple that list:))

Darth Mole
08-08-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm an anti-Luddite: I must have the latest OS, the most recent software patch, and the very newest hardware. Well, all except the last one as I've just bought a Quad and I'm ****ed if I'm upgrading again (maybe when we get 8 cores!).

LW 9 is far from perfect but I do believe we'll see stability go up and bugs go down as the series moves along.

ingo
08-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Well i have learned not to buy x.0 updates (or x.01 in Luxologys case), especially when they are that late and still don't support actual hardware. And it makes life much easier when you only read about a not working update procedure or malfunctioning dongles.

....... No, they just give the same dateline and wait for their service........

a dateline ????

tyrot
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
a dateline ????

dear ingo

honestly what is date line?

1- a Line which you lead to a date with a hmmm female client..?
2- a syntax error
3- an omnipotent mind error.

correct answer is b ...deadline :)
but it inspired me to work on "a" ..dateline.. man thanks for noticing. I told you i m a PC guy i never ever come here again i promise till i get new Mac toplaps...:) see it is happening laplop:) not again. laptop

BESTLINE

ingo
08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Well my first thought was number 1, that you crossed the line to get a date with the client. But thanks that you clarified it. You PC guys are odd in a nice way ;)

mlinde
08-10-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm running LW 5.6d on a PM8600 w 768MB of RAM and a 32MB ATi Nexus 128 GFX card, under 9.2 ;) My serial dongle is starting to get a bit grimy as well.

Johnny
08-11-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm running LW 5.5d on a PM8600 w 768MB of RAM and a 32MB ATi Nexus 128 GFX card, under 9.2 ;) My serial dongle is starting to get a bit grimy as well.

ahh...now, that's some serious Luddism!

whenever I read a post by someone using an older version, I never get the feeling that they feel impaired or hampered.

not that the new innovations in hardware and software aren't worthy; I'm personally not in a position to constantly upgrade anymore.

J

Chilton
08-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Ah, the 8600... I actually have one on my desk at NewTek!

That machine was an excellent example of a slew of Apple technology that went unused. The AV hardware in that box is top notch.*

Also, there are eerie similarities between that case design and the G5's--same side opening system, same internal plastic cover design, etc.

-Chilton

mlinde
08-11-2006, 06:42 PM
I suppose I should also mention that I own the USB dongle, and every version of LW on the Mac (ever, 5.0 to 9.0). Just thought the "luddite" question needed some serious backfill. But seriously, there is a lot of polygonal modeling and scene building you can do with 5.6d, just not the easiest character tools (although there used to be a plugin that became a different tool...just...can't...remember...)
:lightwave

gerry_g
08-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I had an old Mac clone many years back, though fortunately I just missed the horrors of system 8, still, couldn't get rid of it fast enough and didn't really use LW in a big way till I got into the G4's. As far as I'm concerned computing is still in the dark ages, I'm patiently waiting for the day when a real computer no longer comes with the word SUPER prefixed to it, require you to rob a bank in order to purchase it and need its own warehouse complete with climate control, to house it and run it