PDA

View Full Version : Nice DVD label program

Rich Deustachio
08-07-2006, 10:58 PM
http://www.droppix.com/produit.php?action=rubrique&produit=10&rubrique=31

billmi
08-08-2006, 07:06 AM
In that same vein...

I've got a friend who is a label-a-holic. He doesn't burn a CD without printing a label for it. He started doing the same with DVDs until he found that in the latter 1/4 of the disk, he'd get stuttering and glitches on playback in consumer DVD players. After testing he discovered it was the label on the disk (same disk played OK before and not after labeling.) He and I suspect that the paper label unbalances the disk enough that it vibrates to the point of causing some read errors.

I picked up an Epson Photo Stylus printer (retail about $100 - plus an arm and a leg when it comes to replacing ink cartridges - it's important to track that expense) which does a nice job on inkjet photo prints, but also has a caddy to print inkjet printable CDs and DVDs. There are no issues with unbalancing the disk, and it spits out a finished product that looks substantially more professional than a paper labeled disk. Injet printable DVD-Rs cost a little more, but aren't very expensive in 100 packs.

Our finished disks to clients always are run through the ink-jet printer, whether they are still photo sets on CD or DVDs, and consistently before they've even seen the content of the disk we get comments on how nice the disk itself looks.

Epson includes a basic labeling program with the printer, which handles text well. I usually layout images in Photoshop first, so the labeling program is just placing them on the disk and handling the text. I expect that the Droppix label maker should also work with inkjet to disk rather than to paper label, since it's all done through the same print interface.

Jim_C
08-08-2006, 07:33 AM
After testing he discovered it was the label on the disk (same disk played OK before and not after labeling.) He and I suspect that the paper label unbalances the disk enough that it vibrates to the point of causing some read errors.

I have read about and witnessed this same thing many times myself.

Rich Deustachio
08-08-2006, 11:19 AM
I know all about not using labels on CDs/DVDs. I also own an Epson R-200 printer.

The program isn't for making lables to put on DVD's it's for printing on printable DVD's. They also have a system called lightscribe which allows you to use a modified DVD burner to print on special DVD blanks with the burner laser.

http://www.droppix.com/produit.php?action=rubrique&produit=10&rubrique=27