PDA

View Full Version : Funny story...

lilrayray77
08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Haha, so I was palying BF2 online earlier and all the sudden I here thunder. Well, I had not yet gotten around to installing a brand-new surge protector that I had just gotten. So as I am about to log off BF2 and Windows, the power goes out. Well I didnt think anyhting happened. So later after the power kept going off I went to try and fire up windows. And it just hung, hung, hung on the boot screen. I ran a system analysis and turns out my hardrive is corrupted. Wierder yet, linux boots up without a problem. I guess the windows partition was only effected. And lastly, Dell left almost no info on the harddrive I have so Im not sure what I should get. This is the only info on my harddrive I could find: HARD DRIVE, 80G, S2, 7.2K, 8M, LEAD FREE, SGT-PUMA. From this I am able to conclude that it has 80gb,7200 rpm, 8mb cache, and the rest is a mystery. Anyone that has some useful info would be a lifesaver. Anyway, funny story huh.

Silkrooster
08-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Just because the data is corrupted, does not mean the hard drive is bad. Windows needs to save the regestry every time it powers down. If the regestry becomes corupted which is very likely, windows will not run.
If you have the original windows cd, I would format that partion and reinstall windows.
Since you have linux installed on the other partion you should be able to access the data and backup what you need, before formating. When formating make sure it is formating the correct partion, don't need any more trouble, lol.
If the hard drive is bad, which I doubt, soon you will find problems with the linux partion as well.
Hope you can get it sorted out, and BTW, not a very funny story. More of a nightmare.
Good luck,
Silk

ted
08-07-2006, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=lilrayray77] HARD DRIVE, 80G, S2, 7.2K, 8M, LEAD FREE, SGT-PUMA. From this I am able to conclude that it has 80gb,7200 rpm, 8mb cache, and the rest is a mystery. Anyone that has some useful info would be a lifesaver. QUOTE]

After the 8mb cache, the rest means you are running on unleaded and there is a mountain lion in there who is a sergeant in the PC army. :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I wish you well.

lilrayray77
08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
@silkrooster - I did a system and harddrive diagnostiv both of which resulted in errors. I also tried the windows disk wich would not work. When I try to log into safe mode it freezes upn a mup.sys file or something. I think my harddrive is done. Will any SATA work?

Silkrooster
08-08-2006, 12:20 AM
If you know it is an SATA then yes. You shouldn't have any problems. My knowledge of harddrives has dwindled in the past few years. Since I quit selling computers, I haven't been keeping up to date on the technology.
Best peice of advice I can give you is write down your computers make, model and serial number, as well as what you told us about the drive. give that info to your local computer store. They should be able to look up a dell replacement for you. If they can't, then you will either have to order one from Dell or have Dell tell you where there is an authorized service center in your area.
Silk

lilrayray77
08-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Thanks. My last harddrive wasnt very good and was small, so I am looking to get a good one. Does faster rpm help much?

iconoclasty
08-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes, more rpms are better. I wouldn't go below 7200 for a desktop and I think the only higher option in a 1000 (I'm not sure) which gets pretty expensive. The 7200rpm drives seemto be the standard.

lilrayray77
08-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I just learned that I had a seagate 80gb. I just bought a 250gb, 7200.9 RPM Seagate Barracuda which was $120. Pretty good deal I think.

lilrayray77
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Alright I got the drive today and I started formating it using the formatter on the Windows XP disk at around 2:30pm. It is now 10:47pm and it is only at about 65%. It there something wrong with the disk or format utility, or am I just not used to formating disks? 250gb is large, but it shouldnt take this long should it?