PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 9 Mac OS X dongle problems..

Kevin Olson
08-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Okay I know there is another thread with this problem already but I wanted to start a *new* one so it would be seen.

Is there some sort of special trick to get a mac to "see" the dongle?

Ive installed the eve3 drivers from the dvd, plugged in the dongle to several different usb ports ( all of which work ) but the register lightwave app doesnt find the dongle. I did install it on my laptop which is a pc and it sees the dongle no problems.

It's a red usb dongle that says "Sentinel SafeNet SuperPro" on it. Did I get the wrong type which is incompatible with a mac?

Its a long story and I am upset because I ordered my LightWave 9 full on August 1st via ups next day air but it didnt arrive until August 4th, when I opened the box everything was there except the dongle so I had to wait until today August 7th to get it and now it doesnt work. Please tell me there is something I am missing....

Thanks in advance or any suggestions!!

jat
08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Try unplugging everything for about 10 min or so and then plug in the dongle and then startup the machine. Also see if the device shows up in system profiler - under usb it will says that a usb token device is present....

Kevin Olson
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks, gave that a shot but still getting the same thing...

System profiler says USB UltraPro:

Version: 2.00
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: SafeNet Inc.
Product ID: 0x0300
Vendor ID: 0x04b9

Chilton
08-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Kevin,

One of our tech support guys brought the red dongle issue to my attention last week, and I think the last thing I heard was that we're waiting for a response from SafeNet, who made them. It appears to be a software issue, as the Eve3 framework does not seem to see them at all on the Mac, but it does on the PC.

I know it's not the answer you'd like, but if you can wait a few days, I suspect I or someone at NewTek will have more info on what is actually happening.

Right now, I don't know if we'll have to issue a patch for certain red dongles, or send out replacements, or what, but fixing this is a high priority issue at NewTek right now.

-Chilton

Kevin Olson
08-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the update Chilton. I will wait to see what happenes next. Please do inform me/us on this thread as soon as possible.

Chilton
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Will do!

-Chilton

Kevin Olson
08-09-2006, 05:11 AM
Here is an update on my situation. Not on the Mac side of things but the PC. As I stated before, the PC sees the dongle but I don't think the dongle is properly working. The dongle ID is only 2 digits long... isn't it supposed to be 4-5?? Layout seems to work fine but when I launch modeler I get 3 errors..

Internal Error
RNBO[30]=0
Notify Technical Support!

Internal Error
RNBO[31]=0

and

Internal Error
RNBO[32]=0

And then modeler quits.

Does it sound like I have a bad dongle and need to have it replaced?

Reece James
08-10-2006, 05:35 AM
I've got the exact same problem. I didn't realise there was a support side to the forum so I've posted in the wrong place whoops. Always happens when you're new to a forum.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=422539

This is exactly the same, every Mac I have tried has the same issue and the same windows bug. I feel your pain...

Being at college I have a myriad of machines at my disposal to use for testing, here are my results...

PowerMac G4 733 Mac OS 10.3.9 - Dongle not found.
PowerBook G4 Mac OS 10.4.7 - Dongle not found.
PowerBook G3 Mac OS 10.4.0 - Dongle not found.
Intel iMac Mac OS 10.4.7 - Dongle not found.

Also, for reference my dongle number is 3 digits long on windows.

Kevin Olson
08-10-2006, 06:24 AM
I did speak with Tech Support yesterday and they did say that they are very aware of the issue and are working on it as quickly as possible. They did seem to think however that it is software related and that a patch would be out very soon for this. He said it only happens with the red dongles for new versions and that people who upgraded from 8 dont have this problem with their exsisting dongles.

Heres hoping something will happen soon, going on a week with a $600 Discovery Edition of LightWave :)

Kuzey
08-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Kevin,

best of luck with that, let's hope it's days not weeks before they fix it!!

Kuzey

Reece James
08-10-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm a bit luckier, I have an education version and have access to 8.5 in the labs at Uni. Still it's a pain having it sat there. At least I don't need to boot into windows too much for the time being. Nothing really complicated in the cource ATM. Next assignment is using the laythe and array tools. I think I might model a bicycle rim next... :D

Chilton
08-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I suspect this bug will be one of the first things I have to stomp when I get back.

-Chilton

Kevin Olson
08-10-2006, 06:11 PM
If this is going to take longer than expected, is it possible to get a new *different* dongle shipped out to replace this one?

Reece James
08-10-2006, 10:20 PM
I think I spoilt Chilton's weekend. Sorry mate!

Enjoy the rest of WWDC though! :thumbsup:

Chilton
08-11-2006, 08:49 AM
No worries, Reece. Or is is James?

I'm back from WWDC and ready to start fixing problems. Unfortunately my flight landed at 5AM this morning, and I'm not quite coherent yet. So this will be looked at over the weekend.

-Chilton

Reece James
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
It's Reece. Don't worry about it, it's confusing when you have 3 names that could be interchangable as your first or last name. (Gilbert Reece James)

Goodluck with the debuging. I look forward to a patch sometime in the near future.

Kevin Olson
08-12-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks Chilton!

Kevin Olson
08-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Has therer been any progress with this? Im itching tog get to work with lw9...

frank1024
08-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Does LW9 run slower in Discovery Mode? I have the Red Dongle problem and am runing LW9 on one of my PowerPC Quad Core Macs in Discovery Mode. LW8 runs on my other PowerPC Quad Core Mac and goes faster. The test render I did took over one second longer with LW9 in Discovery Mode than LW8 which rendered the same frame one second faster. Multiply the time difference 18,000 times and it adds up to five more hours. Is LW9 slower than LW8?

Chilton
08-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Frank,

The dongle issue is being addressed even as I type. I don't know when the update will be available, but one is definitely in the works.

Regarding speed, it should be about the same (8 vs 9) for most renders. On small renders, 8.x is faster than 9. I think 9 should be faster on large renders. In the event you find this not to be the case, please let us know!

As far as I know, discovery mode does not limit the speed. How long was the overall render?

-Chilton

BazC
08-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Does LW9 run slower in Discovery Mode? I have the Red Dongle problem and am runing LW9 on one of my PowerPC Quad Core Macs in Discovery Mode. LW8 runs on my other PowerPC Quad Core Mac and goes faster. The test render I did took over one second longer with LW9 in Discovery Mode than LW8 which rendered the same frame one second faster. Multiply the time difference 18,000 times and it adds up to five more hours. Is LW9 slower than LW8?

LW9 CAN be slower than LW8 and on very fast scenes it almost certainly will be. As I understand it pre render calculations are more complex in LW9 which adds a bit to the render time but they reduce the render time drastically on complex scenes/long renders. Basically you can knock hours off massive renders but you might add a few seconds to fast renders.

However there are some scenes that are significantly slower in LW9, most Mac users find Raytrace.lws in content renders around 30% faster in LW8

frank1024
08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Here is the link to show the actual render done in Discovery Mode with LW9

http://www.clubphotogallery.com/images/LW_Render.html

The same exact scene done with the same setings in LW8 took more than one second less. As I said in my earlier message the renders are all done on PowerPC Quad Core Macs configured the same.

I purchased LW9 because the information given on the Newtek website leading up to LW9's release said that LW9 was faster. I spent nearly $10,000 on my two Quad Core Macs because they are faster than what I used before. Render times on my Dual Core Power PC Macs was more than twice as long. I purchased the upgrade to LW9 because I thought it was faster.

Now I'm hearing that LW9 is dramaticly slower than LW8. 30%???? The difference in render time from LW8 to LW9 is more than one second for the example given. This really ads up when I have to render 18,000 frames.

So here I am with a program that runs slower (a lot slower) and doesn't work with the dongle. This is not good.

Kevin Olson
08-15-2006, 08:30 PM
So is this a patch for LightWave or an update for the dongle drivers? I got home tonight itching to see what the progress has been but nothing happened..

Chilton
08-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Frank,

The renderer in 9 does a bit more pre-calculation per render than it did in 8. That means that for shorter renders, this becomes more of the overall chunk. On longer renders, it flattens out quickly, and generally speaking, makes complex renders take less time than they used to. If each frame of your render takes under 10 seconds, you're definitely on the 'less complex' side of the render.

But I'm not saying we're content with this, and this is an issue we're looking at right now. If you wouldn't mind, I would greatly appreciate it if you would send me a scene from anything you're working on, so I can make sure any performance tweaks we make are working across the board.

( [email protected] )

Thanks,
-Chilton Webb

avkills
08-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Frank,

Try changing to the perspective camera (unless you have any single or 2 point polys) and see what the time is.

-mark

frank1024
08-15-2006, 09:52 PM
I think it best to start a new thread about LW9 since we are getting away from the Dongle issue. Chilton, I will be sending you info on how to get into the server to download the files I'm using. I'll send that info to your email. The files with all the models are to big to email. You'll need an ftp program to access the server of course. I use Fetch, but you may use something different.

Frank

Chilton
08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi Frank,

I've owned every copy of Fetch since it ran on a Mac IIsi ;-)

-Chilton

frank1024
08-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Great. I'm uploading the file now so stay tuned. I owned a Mac IIsi too. The first computer I ever owned.

Frank

Reece James
08-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Just saw the Mac Pro. Wow. Hope we get the intel version and dongle fix out soon.

xeno3d
08-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Mac pros look very nice

Noclar7
08-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Hello all, I am recieving the same issues after finally receiving and installing Lightwave 9 on both windows and mac sides. To reiterate:

Macbook Pro
2.16GHz, 2GB ram, 100GB HD
Mac OSX 10.4.7 w/ bootcamp 1.1 installed

mac side->
Does not see the dongle, discovery mode works

windows side->
internal error
RNB0[30]=0
notify support!
and
internal error
RNB0[32]=0
notify support!

----------------

any progress on this? or maybe info on beta testing the universal binary?
and I know this is taboo, but that dongle has to go, its been causing problems for all the paying registered customers for years while being passed by crackers in a matter of minutes. embrace the tech, dont confine it.

RJ

dylansm
08-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Lose the dongle, please! It's worse than worthless since it prevents honest users from using the product and is no deterrent to hackers. Maybe move to an activation method like Adobe?

Noclar7
08-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe move to an activation method like Adobe?

exactly!

xeno3d
08-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Im all for that.. nice an simple but effective

byte_fx
08-18-2006, 12:18 AM
As I understand Adobe's procedure it requires an internet connection to the machine the product is installed on.

I dumped Adobe because of this and their spyware. It was bad enough that Acrobat sent info on the documents it opened but their newest image programs have been reported as sending far more info.

Plus - quite frankly - it's just another example of Adode's arrogance.

And I also won't buy modo because it requires a net connection.

Not to mention I NEVER allow any of my work systems either any internet connection, access to systems that have i-net access, or anything downloaded from the i'net.

In the end it doesn't matter if it's a PC or MAC there's just too much risk by exposing your work systems to thr i'net.

byte_fx

Noclar7
08-18-2006, 07:16 AM
If your really scared of the internet or do not have decent security measures in place to protect yourself, you can always do the phone in activation with adobe.

btw, how could you just "Dump adobe". Adobe has been the standard for years, and now with Macromedia under there belt, now is not a time to stand them up at the prom. Although I must say I am being very biast here as I use photoshop and flash just about every single day now for the past 7 years.

,RJ

Any word on this dongle issue newtek? I have yet to email support on the issue, hoping this can be resolved quickly enough that i dont have to.

Kuzey
08-18-2006, 07:24 AM
It's being worked on it by the dongle makers I believe.

Kuzey

drolander
08-18-2006, 07:31 AM
As I understand Adobe's procedure it requires an internet connection to the machine the product is installed on.

I dumped Adobe because of this and their spyware. It was bad enough that Acrobat sent info on the documents it opened but their newest image programs have been reported as sending far more info.

Plus - quite frankly - it's just another example of Adode's arrogance.

And I also won't buy modo because it requires a net connection.

Not to mention I NEVER allow any of my work systems either any internet connection, access to systems that have i-net access, or anything downloaded from the i'net.

In the end it doesn't matter if it's a PC or MAC there's just too much risk by exposing your work systems to thr i'net.

byte_fx

LOL. Good luck with that.

xeno3d
08-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Curious.. are we close to a fix? I don't mean to keep complaining but it is approaching 3 weeks since I have ordred and gotten my seat...

Chilton
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Yes, very very close. Actually the fix is done. It's all the other stuff that goes into a release. This version will not be the Universal Binary, btw. I believe it's mostly a maintenance release to address our dongle issue.

xeno3d
08-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Nice.. Thanks for the update Chilton!! The UB can wait... I just wanna get up and running even if it is under Rosetta right now, I don't care.

Any ETA on when we can download that fix? Will it be avail for this weekened?

Noclar7
08-19-2006, 12:26 PM
yes, thank you for the update Chilton.

byte_fx
08-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Glad to hear the updates are coming.

Although I've never had a problem Newtek's dongle drivers.

If your really scared of the internet or do not have decent security measures in place to protect yourself, you can always do the phone in activation with adobe.

btw, how could you just "Dump adobe". Adobe has been the standard for years, and now with Macromedia under there belt, now is not a time to stand them up at the prom. Although I must say I am being very biast here as I use photoshop and flash just about every single day now for the past 7 years.

,RJ

Any word on this dongle issue newtek? I have yet to email support on the issue, hoping this can be resolved quickly enough that i dont have to.

Just fed up with the time required to keep the pimple faced weenies at bay.

As for Adobe - for the most part their apps are over-bloated and sluggish - and generally useless for me because of that.

Add in Adobe's spyware and that was the final straw.

Flash ? Hate it. Haven't installed it on a system for over three years.

LOL. Good luck with that.

LOL yourself.

I've followed this policy for over three years and it's working great. Zero worries about projects being compromised. Zero time spent applying security patches to either Windows or Mac operating systems. Zero bucks spent on installing and upgrading security sytems that often as not include spyware and vulnerabilities or their own.

Life is beautiful.

byte_fx

Reece James
08-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Hope to see a release soon, thanks for the update.

Chilton
08-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Long before I worked on LightWave, I used to port ISP connection kits from the PC to the Mac. I made quite a few of them, and have at one time or another worked for almost every major ISP kit vendor on the planet.

So I have a funny story for ya...

That Terms of Service agreement you sign up with--these days it's pretty bland. But in the mid-90's, you were signing away all kinds of privacy rights by using an ISP. This predated spyware, but the concept was still there. A basic part of almost every ISP's connection kit was data collection. The ISP kit vendors could then sell this info to any interested third party.

For example, if Adobe wanted to know what their market penetration was among new Internet users, that info was available, at a price. In the less nefarious cases, just a log of all of the creator codes of apps on your system would be collected, compressed, and sent along to the main signup server. But the capability was there to do much, much more.

ISPs reserved the right to (and often did) piggyback apps and code on the kits, allowing them to extract any data from your system *they* wanted. And since this happened during the configuration of your system, I doubt anyone noticed. So being paranoid back in those days was quite annoying to some ISPs.

Today, an ISP could be sued over this kind of poking around. An important court decision just before y2k made the ISP liable for anything on your computer that you downloaded off the net, if it could be proved that they knew about it. So most ISPs today take a much different approach--the less they know about a new user, the less they can be held accountable for. So they try to get an absolute minimum amount of info from you, and track even less than that.

But to this day, I'm *almost* as paranoid as byte_fx ;-)

I have Little Snitch installed, which tells me when an app is trying to phone home (and lets me block it if I want). I highly recommend it for any fellow conspiracy theorists out there. I also use TCPFlow, which is a slightly more readable (and free) packet monitoring app, than the TCPDump that ships with OSX. It lets you look at the data an app is sending to its registration server.

My biggest problem with phone-home software though, is that I'm a PowerBook/MacBook Pro user. I always seem to need to use something when I don't have a network connection.

Ultimately, the decision to continue using the dongle or not is not up to me. I've always kinda liked them for 'flagship' software, but that's just me, I suppose. So I will pass along any sentiments I gather from our users.

-Chilton

TomT
08-20-2006, 02:43 PM

I think it is indicative of the air of unreality in NewTek-land . . . :P

-T

dylansm
08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Chilton, I'm really impressed by your participation in the forum. It really is reassuring.

I usually agree with your comment about the dongle issue for flagship products, I'm just a little worried since I'm one of the many people just waiting to use my newly purchased Lightwave.

Where should we be looking for this update? This forum, the downloads section of the site, email? I start out each day looking for it...

Chilton
08-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Right now we're waiting on a minor bug fix for the PC version that will go in this release as well.

The new Mac build works flawlessly (said in Mortal Kombat voice). At least the dongles work right. This release won't be the UB version, nor will it have all the new bells and whistles. It's just a patch for the dongle issue.

I suspect we'll have something later today, or possibly tomorrow.

dylansm
08-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Sounds great. Do you have one of those Mortal Combat voices for the UB version? Like, "Most assuredly in the next two months..." :devil:

xeno3d
08-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Nice!! Thaks Chilton. When it is ready for download where will it be?

Chilton
08-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Kevin,

Nice!! Thanks Chilton. When it is ready for download where will it be?

It depends. If they follow my advice, it will be a funny hidden Easter Egg-like link on the site somewhere. Like you'd click part of the NewTek logo, and a popup window would have one of our tech support guys doing a little dance, maybe a Samba, and then it would start downloading.

Most likely though, they won't do that. So I have no idea where they'll put it. But I promise that as soon as it's available, I'll create a new thread here in the Forum telling you where to find it.

-Chilton

xeno3d
08-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Excellent.. Thnaks :)

Chilton
08-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi,

As we tumble past the '1,000 views of this thread' marker, I wanted to thank everyone for their patience. I know the real reason you bought LightWave was to own an expensive, limited edition, useless dongle. Or maybe it's the equally impressive 'fancy' Discovery Edition of LightWave.

But whatever your reason, we do appreciate your understanding. It's our fault (some would say *my* fault) these weren't better tested before they shipped, but the update will be posted soon. I promise this is not indicative of our future plans for the Mac platform.

For my sake, I hope it's not!

Thank you,
-Chilton

(edited to remove an embarrassing typo... ironic, no?)

Reece James
08-21-2006, 10:34 PM
NewTek have now concluded they have had a small batch with this problem and we are just to swap over your dongle with another (purple) model.

Can you please express post (or use another traceable means) your existing dongle back to New Magic (NSW) and we will replace the dongle with a new one.

We are sorry about the inconvenience but this situation is out of our control.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Chilton, is this a dongle problem or is it in software and will be fixed in a few weeks?

Chilton
08-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi Reece,

There are two distinct problems with the dongles that we're hoping to correct. Some of them are 'just bad', and need to be replaced. Others are okay, but need additional software support to work. The blue dongles (which are no longer offered by the manufacturer as I understand it) work reliably already, and use a software framework we already support well, so the above solution is an excellent one, if it's extended to you.

The solution for most people though will be to download or otherwise acquire the new version of LightWave, and possibly get a new Dongle as well.

-Chilton

TomT
08-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Chilton,

Are the purple (grape flavor) dongles any good? All I've been hearing about are the red (cherry flavor) having issues . . . and blue (blueberry flavor) aren't made any more. I'm beginning to feel sorry I turned in my ADB (mocca flavor) dongle . . .

Just need to know if I should be sending in my current dongle for replacement as we start going to the MacPros. (It seems to work OK on my MacBook Pro with v8.5)

-T

Chilton
08-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Hi Tom,

Purple and Blue are both fine. Anything other than the reds, which we've only shipped a handful of. And only a portion of the reds actually need to be replaced. Most of them just need the updated software.

-Chilton

xeno3d
08-22-2006, 04:58 AM
Heres hoping mines not one of the bunch that needs replacing ;)

Noclar7
08-22-2006, 06:06 AM
Heres hoping mines not one of the bunch that needs replacing ;)

I hear that, ..gulp..

Reece James
08-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Chilton, what are the symptoms of the broken ones? My Red one allowed me to register under Windows but doesn't show at all in OS X. If you could clarify it would be great thanks.

Chilton
08-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Howdy from Texas, Reece,

Chilton, what are the symptoms of the broken ones? My Red one allowed me to register under Windows but doesn't show at all in OS X. If you could clarify it would be great thanks.

I believe that the *defective* red ones won't work in Windows either. I'm not entirely sure though, and hope to have more info on that today.

-Chilton

Chilton
08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Sorry for the delay guys, there's a (new) problem with the PC side of our updater. As soon as that's fixed, we'll have some good news. Not sure how much longer that will be.

One of the tech guys tells me he'd like to post an announcement about it when it happens though, and I'm more than happy to duck out of the spotlight for that ;-)

-Chilton

Chuck
08-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I believe that the *defective* red ones won't work in Windows either.

That's correct!

xeno3d
08-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Any chance of posting the Mac version of te update so us Apple people can get up and running?

mats4d_
08-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Hello

Does the dongle issue affect ALL G5 quads with LW9 combinations? (I just purchased LW9) so would like to know if I can use LW right away, or have to wait for a fix.

:(

thanks

Noclar7
08-22-2006, 07:10 PM
well then, a,... My dongle is one of the ones that is not working under windows. What steps should I take then? Could one of you (Chuck or Chilton) send me some info on this? rj (at) networkcentrix dot com. btw, I am located in canada, the licence was bought from our local tech distributor, which I assume was bought from videolink in TO. So, sending this back through those channels is only going to add insult to injury (took about a month to actually recieve the order). I almost cracked last time i had an issue here (lw8 pre-orders anyone?) please make it right again!

RJ

Reece James
08-22-2006, 10:16 PM
I believe that the *defective* red ones won't work in Windows either. I'm not entirely sure though, and hope to have more info on that today.

-Chilton

Ok so a truly defective one won't even be detected in windows, but a working one will cause the RNBO[30]=0 error when opening modeler. If this is the case I'll hold off on sending it back for a bit.

Chilton
08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Ok so a truly defective one won't even be detected in windows, but a working one will cause the RNBO[30]=0 error when opening modeler. If this is the case I'll hold off on sending it back for a bit.

I'd wait another day, and see what that brings. I can't promise it will be out tomorrow, either--the last 1% of anything is where you spend 99% of your time. But it should be really, really soon.

-Chilton

Chilton
08-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Any chance of posting the Mac version of te update so us Apple people can get up and running?

That's not my call to make, but we should have news of what will be offered, on our site, very soon.

-Chilton

Chilton
08-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Hello

Does the dongle issue affect ALL G5 quads with LW9 combinations? (I just purchased LW9) so would like to know if I can use LW right away, or have to wait for a fix.

:(

thanks

The dongle issue affects:
1) Any Mac user (could be lack of support for the device, could also be defective dongle).
2) Some Windows users (bad dongle)

It should not be limited to only the quad G5s.

HTH,
-Chilton

Reece James
08-22-2006, 10:31 PM
So all the Mac users need to check and see if theirs work under Windows. If it doesn't let you register, then we should be looking at sending the dongle back or waiting for the update just to make sure.

Thanks Chilton, great work you're doing here.

xeno3d
08-23-2006, 04:09 AM
That's not my call to make, but we should have news of what will be offered, on our site, very soon.

-Chilton

No problems! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Reece James
08-24-2006, 04:30 AM
Looks like a mate of mine has gotten a bad dongle. He can't register under Windows.

:/

Noclar7
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Any updates on this issue today? I really need to figure out what the deal is with my dongle as I dont even have any previous versions of LW installed to work on since I am at a new company with a new registration.

Chilton
08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi RJ,

It's just a waiting game right now. I expect we'll hear something more today.

-Chilton

xeno3d
08-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi RJ,

It's just a waiting game right now. I expect we'll hear something more today.

-Chilton

:thumbsup:

Noclar7
08-25-2006, 06:30 AM
any news today before we hit the weekend?

xeno3d
08-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Chilton opened up another thread here.. http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56027

Noclar7
08-28-2006, 10:57 AM
* bumping this thread as it still has yet to be resolved! *

Yes, another day of explaining at the production meeting that our brand new software we recieved doesnt have a bug, but is non functioning whatsoever with only a "will be fixed in the future sometime" explanation.

You know, after a bit of thought and listening to both sides of the dongle vs. non-dongle preferences I've come to this conclusion. It really doesnt matter at this point. Software screw-ups are bound to happen. The difference between a software company acting proffesional and not is the time it takes for them to resolve the issue. Do you think discreet would let something like this go on for this long?

frustrated,
RJ

TomT
08-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Heh, you sound like Kerwin 8 months ago. ;)

frank1024
08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah this dongle problem with LW9 is exposing some other problems. People have their professional credibility on the line here and I'm sensing a lack of support from Newtek.

Their are other software packages out there that are just as good as Lightwave. The market is just too competitive for Newtek to let this dongle problem fester much longer.

Fix the dongle now!

Reece James
09-06-2006, 04:28 AM
Well I got a replacement purple dongle today. Works great under Rossetta, but rendering is s-l-o-w!

Now I'm just waiting for me windows serial to be reset to the new dongle's serial.

xeno3d
09-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Im supposed to be getting a replacement red dongle.. actually ups tried to deliver yesterday but I wasnt home doh! will have to pick it up tonight as i was sent requiring signature. Will let you know how it works out tonight...

Noclar7
09-06-2006, 06:14 AM
I should also mention that after talking to tech support they sent a dongle right away without any hassle and were quite friendly for a texans in the morning :)

Played with the new surface node editor in discovery mode the other day too, wow. Falling for the ol' wave again.

xeno3d
09-06-2006, 04:23 PM
okay.. I am confused.. let me explain

I received 2 packaes today from NewTek. One that contained a purple dongle and the other that contained a red dongle and new program cd.

The red one works perfectly fine ( thanks!:) )

I havent even tried the purple..

Just curious as to why I got 2?

Oh and how to I go about registering my new dongle on the windows platform.. I already have a reg for the broken dongle...

Reece James
09-06-2006, 07:00 PM
I emailed tech support and they said they are onto it.

: shrug :

xeno3d
09-06-2006, 07:05 PM
I emailed tech support and they said they are onto it.

: shrug :

Did you get 2 as well?