PDA

View Full Version : Render farm question re: single images

Filmdesigner
08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
If you don't mind me asking what could be a stupid question, but will extra machines on a screamernet help with rendering single images? I have tried but it doesn't appear so. I expect I have not set it up properly, but it did help with animations...

I work with l-a-r-g-e archivis images and interiors and find the day I need to wait for a render just too long.

Advice or reprimand welcome.

voriax
08-07-2006, 05:59 PM
The only way (that I know of) to render a single image over multi CPU's is to segment the final image into sections using the limited region, save a different scene file for each segment and send those scenes out to the render farm..
There's a couple of plugins or programs that will do this for you, although the plugin never worked for me..
There's the program MULE, a screamernet controller which is supposed to be quite good, and I think that has built into it a command to segment a single image to render over multiple CPU's..

http://www.epicsoft.net/products/mule/
It's not free, but if you're going to use it quite often, it may be worth it..

Filmdesigner
08-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for that. I have played with the sectional rendering and it works fine, if not just a bit messy at times. It just seems to be a pity.

Thanks.

jameswillmott
08-07-2006, 06:46 PM
ButterFlyNetRender handles the splitting and joing process automatically. I'm sure other render controllers do too.

3D Kiwi
08-07-2006, 06:51 PM
tequila scream spilts images, not sure if it works with Lightwave 9.

paulhart
08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I have been using Amleto for awhile now for large renders, with Lightwave version 9. When you set up a job, there is a screen to indicate which series of frames that you want. As soon as you indicate a single frame (begin 2, end 2) the segments box is available below. I break it up so that my poor old slow machines can contribute without slowing the whole thing down. Occasionally it (my system?) has a problem and I have to render a single selected region to complete the job, but for the most part it is great. They have a demo for FREE, and the licensing seemed reasonable for my small farm. Check them out at www.nodalideas.com (http://www.nodalideas.com)
Of course it does animation just fine also....
Paul

Bog
08-07-2006, 07:15 PM
If you've got a heeyoooj image to render, ResPower will segment it for you.

Filmdesigner
08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Jeeez! You guys are amazing! I will research all the options, with thanks. Maybe Newtek will build segmented rendering into Screamernet...

Excellent, thanks.

paulhart
08-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Lightwave has not done 'squat' with Screamernet forever, and I wouldn't hold my breath on this feature. Amleto is easy. If you have any questions, the developers are responsive and I can help...
Paul

Dave Jerrard
08-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Actually, Screamernet DID finally get a small update. It no longer doles out frames one machine at a time. No more waiting until a machine is loaded & rendering before the next machines is told to load a scene. They all get their scenes at the same time. I know, it's about time it caught up on this one basic feature that made every other render controller out there so much better.

He Who Would Still Like To See Screamernet Become A Stand Alone Feature.

SP00
08-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Has the LW9 Screamernet been updated with the new rendering speedup? Does it use the same code?

jameswillmott
08-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I would be fairly certain that LWSN and Lightwave use exactly the same rendering code.