PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro - Multiple vid cards - LW 9 UB

byte_fx
08-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Ok - so the Mac Pros will support up to four vid cards.

Question is - will the UB version of LW 9 be able to use the extra monitors(s}.

Far as I lnow the current version may.

But I'd kind of like to know before ordering a Mac Pro.

byte_fx

BazC
08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm sure Chilton will be able to answer that but maybe not until the end of the week or maybe next week. He's got to recover from Siggraph and WWDC! :D

amigo
08-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I believe that any application will support multi-display setups, so LW should not be any different. Having said that there's only one small catch with multi-display setups in OS X, they are not exactly the same as Windows. The menu bar is present only on one screen, your primary one, so it might be an obstacle for many who come from Windows to OS X to get used to it. Some might even think that it is a mistake, error, or an omission, but this is how Mac does it by design.
Personally, when I think about it, I would prefer to have one huge screen than two smaller ones, if I had to always go to the primary screen to access the top menu bar for a window in the opposite screen...

Captain Obvious
08-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Individual applications should not care about the number of displays. But I honestly recomend going with no more than two displays and the Radeon X1900 XT instead. Use larger displays. It's better. One reason is the menu bar, as amigo says.

js33
08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah I would rather have 1 30" display than 2 19" or 20" but 2 30" would be sweet.

Scazzino
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
The Mac OS could always handle multiple monitors. Normally applications just see one large desktop unless they are making their own assumptions about the setup. LightWave works fine with multiple monitors on the Mac. There are a couple of minor glitches (such as the Image Viewer window gets confused and keeps snapping to the main monitor, if it's to the right) but overall no serious issues. The universal binary should be no different, or even better...

:thumbsup:

Chilton
08-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I'm at the conference, but I can answer this one pretty easily ;-)

The UB version of LightWave will work with multiple monitors, just as it does now.

The maximum number of monitors on a Mac is, if I'm not mistaken, 32. At least it was pre-OSX. Actually, it was a number of pixels, but I think millions of collors, 1024x768, and 32 monitors equalled that number.

-Chilton