PDA

View Full Version : new specs on mac so far...

archiea
08-07-2006, 11:52 AM
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/08/07/wwdc-new-mac-pro-towers-blaze-through-logic-soundtrack-offer-better-storage-options-says-apple/

1. Intel Xeon Woodcrest-based: Core 2 dual core CPUs up to 3GHz (that’s Core 2, not Core Duo, meaning the latest version of Intel’s Core architecture — and probably exactly what Apple was waiting for to go to Intel in towers); 64-bit, 4 MB shared L2 cache

2. Good “performance per watt” (that’s not just Apple blowing smoke this time; PC press have confirmed that about Core 2)

3. Quadruple your pleasure: Two dual-core CPUs, 2.1x faster than the existing top of the line G5 quad

4. Faster audio performance: Logic Pro is 1.8x faster than the G5 quad; Soundtrack Pro 1.6x faster. (These are the first we’ve heard of Soundtrack benchmarks, but we verified the basic claims of the Logic benchmarks on the Intel laptops at Macworld)

5. More storage: Finally, Apple is addressing the gripes about the G5 design: 4 hard drive bays for up to 2 TB of storage, a second optical drive, more front panel I/O and slots, but all fit in the same enclosure; thanks to the fact that there’s less need for cooling, there’s more space for expansion

6. US$2499 buys you a single, standard configuration: dual 2.66 XEON, 1GB RAM (underconfigured there, but okay), and 250GB HD, plus SuperDrive

7. “Highly Configurable”: You can configure options from there; NVIDIA Quadro graphics are available as an option

archiea
08-07-2006, 12:28 PM
leopard not shipping until spring.. thats practially a year away!!

Karmacop
08-07-2006, 07:45 PM
leopard not shipping until spring.. thats practially a year away!!
So it'll still be out before vista? :p

Chilton
08-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi,

I missed the keynote!

But I did get to play with the new dragons, and they're awesome! Apparently, for security reasons, even some of the head Apple engineers weren't told what was going to be released during the keynote, so it was kinda funny to see <high ranking Apple engineer's name withheld> oohing and ahhing over them, just like the rest of us.

They showed World of Warcraft (already a Universal Binary) using one cool new Apple technology, supposedly augmented with only additional line of code, running at over twice (TWICE!!!) the frame rate it currently gets.

-Chilton

Darth Mole
08-08-2006, 01:47 AM
What cool new Apple Technology? Core Frame Rate Doubler?

Chilton
08-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Darth,

It's better than that ;-)

-CHilton

Hector Pascalid
08-08-2006, 01:25 PM
OK. Now the Leopard is going to be fully 64 bits are we going to have a 64 bit MAC version of Lightwave 9 on time for Leopard release?.

jat
08-08-2006, 01:28 PM
hey Chilton do you get any help from the Apple Geeks on how to make Mac LW scream or were they to busy playing WOW.........lol....................

Chilton
08-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi Hector,

No comment yet.

Hi Jat,
I haven't had a chance to play WOW yet, as their Quake lab is quite extensive as well. But yes, Apple's engineers have been a great help so far, and most of this week I'll be in labs.

-Chilton

archiea
08-08-2006, 03:38 PM
thnaks for the tidbit chilton.. thanks for showing your support of the LW mac community!!!

Chilton
08-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Okay, played WoW last night. They also have a Quake 4 lab, all quad processors. I was thoroughly humiliated by a pack of nigh-drunk college students. I don't know where the Moscone Center is keeping the beer--might be in a secret cooler somewhere.

-Chilton

Chilton
08-10-2006, 08:36 AM
The frustrating part about being in a lab next to the Blizzard guys is pretty obvious--if you're an Apple engineer, which of these problems will you want to spend more time solving?

"This doesn't appear to render as fast here as over here..."
vs.
"The female elf's clothes keep disappearing..."

I'm forever being upstaged by the naked elves...

-Chilton