PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store being updated.....

BazC
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
It says it will be back up within the hour, does this mean the new Intel Desktops are being added?

By my reckoning WWDC should have started, the Keynote speech should be welll under way and chances are Leopard and the new Intel Macs have been unveiled! :D

byte_fx
08-07-2006, 11:54 AM
From WWDC -

Configuration

The standard configuration features two 2.66GHz dual-core Xeon processors, 1GB of 667MHz memory, 250GB storage, Nvidia GeForce 7300GT graphics with 256MB VRAM and a 16x SuperDrive optical drive, priced at $2,499.

"This is a great product to bust the myth of Apple's computers being more expensive," said Schiller, demonstrating by pricing a similar configuration from Dell for about $1,000 more.

Apple is also offering build-to-order configurations clocked at 2, 2.6 and 3GHz, with up to 16GB RAM, 2TB storage, upgraded Radeon X1900 XT or Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 video.

byte_fx

Thomas
08-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Check it out "live" here:
http://www.macrumorslive.com/web/

Regards
Thomas

BazC
08-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Woohoo! thanks guys! :D

Thomas
08-07-2006, 12:20 PM
And if you'd like some eye-candy to that, check out this one:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/07/live-from-wwdc-2006-steve-jobs-keynote/

Regards
Thomas

BazC
08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Niiice!

The new Pro Mac looks amazing! Cheap too, only one model though!?

Kuzey
08-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooo My!!!!

The Desktops are coming, the Desktops are coming.

:thumbsup:

Kuzey

3dworks
08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Niiice!

The new Pro Mac looks amazing! Cheap too, only one model though!?

...but with *lots* of configuration options :)

BazC
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Yup, I missed all the upgrade options! Very very cool :D

The question is, do I become an early adopter or wait for the second generation.......

Kuzey
08-07-2006, 01:29 PM
And what about the graphic cards, I can never remember there being so many to choose from!!

Kuzey

BazC
08-07-2006, 01:36 PM
And what about the graphic cards, I can never remember there being so many to choose from!!

Kuzey

It's not so complicated this time, you get to choose 1, 2, 3, or 4 GeForce 7300GT 256Mb or a radeon X1900XT 512 MB, or a Quadro (1,120! LOL!)

So it's really just a choice between ATI and Nvidia, since Lightwave apparently like Nvidiia best I'd probably go for the basic single 7300GT.

I don't know how multiple GFX cards work, is having 2 256mb cards like having 1 512mb, or is it more complicated than that?

Kuzey
08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't know about graphic cards except there were never any choice, at least that's what people complained about the most in the past...I think.

I wonder if you can change them on your own at a later date or if they come soldered in ?

Kuzey

BazC
08-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty sure you can change them.

byte_fx
08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
They're slot monted fas as I can tell.

Snarfed a pic of the mb a couple of days ago from a guy in a trenchcoat and wearing dark sunglasses at night.

It's probably floating around the net somewhere by now. If not ... just wait. Some mag will most likely post it or something similar.

Maybe Chilton can give us specifics on how the Mac Pros and LW work together now that they've been released.

byte_fx

Captain Obvious
08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't know about graphic cards except there were never any choice, at least that's what people complained about the most in the past...I think.

I wonder if you can change them on your own at a later date or if they come soldered in ?

Kuzey
The Mac towers have had user replaceable graphics cards for going on ten years now. Since 1999 or so, they've used AGP, which was the industry standard. Then they switched to PCI-e, which is the new standard. You still need Mac-specific cards, most likely, but it's very easy to replace it.

And D-A-M-N the Mac Pro is cheap! Around $3000 will get you a computer that Dell and Boxx charge $6000 for! :eek:

As for Lightwave on the Mac Pro, NewTek have stated that the universal binary of Lightwave is on the way. Once it's out, running Lightwave on the Mac Pro will be a very pleasant experience. Before that happens, you're better off with your Power Mac G5.

I don't know how multiple GFX cards work, is having 2 256mb cards like having 1 512mb, or is it more complicated than that?
Multiple GPUs is basically just for running multiple displays.

Kuzey
08-07-2006, 02:45 PM
That's very cool indeed...must be the consumer Macs I was thinking about :)

I hope Chilton took a LW9 UB cd with him to test it out there and then :)

Kuzey

Weepul
08-07-2006, 03:47 PM
So it's really just a choice between ATI and Nvidia, since Lightwave apparently like Nvidiia best I'd probably go for the basic single 7300GT.
Well I guess that's one thing I have that remains superior. :lol:

I've read about LW working more smoothly with Nvidia cards, but always with regard to Windows systems. Has anyone found this to hold true with Macs?

js33
08-07-2006, 04:35 PM
The Apple store is overloaded. I can't get the add to cart page to come up.
I guess that's a good thing unless you want to buy a new computer now.

cresshead
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
re lightwave inon the intel mac's not being that fast..you could run it with bootcamp using winxp yes?

not sure but i'd imagine that the desktop intel's [64bit xeon chips] should also run bootcamp okay....

it's got me thinking anyways!

mainly to save a bundle of cash..if you compare a dell precision over on the uk dell store it works out about 1200 MORe than the mac for the same spec
[dual 2.66 xeons]

would like to see people runnning xp on the new desktops as soon as possible...maybe they can also run win64??

Captain Obvious
08-07-2006, 04:50 PM
re lightwave inon the intel mac's not being that fast..you could run it with bootcamp using winxp yes?

not sure but i'd imagine that the desktop intel's [64bit xeon chips] should also run bootcamp okay....
Of course. You can run both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP (and Vista, I would imagine) on the Mac Pro.

Chilton
08-07-2006, 11:38 PM
LightWave's license agreement rocks in this regard--you can buy one copy of LightWave now, and run it in BootCamp if you want, now. When the UB version ships, you get that upgrade free.

-Chilton

Chilton
08-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi,

They're slot monted fas as I can tell.

Maybe Chilton can give us specifics on how the Mac Pros and LW work together now that they've been released.

byte_fx

I *think* I'll know this week. I think they have a compatibility lab, where you can test your app on their new metal.

Keep in mind we still have some work to do on the UB version though. We *could* ship it now, but we're not going to ;-)

-Chilton

Chilton
08-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi Cap,

Multiple GPUs is basically just for running multiple displays.

Man, I wish I could talk about this statement. NDAs ... cursed NDAs... I have seen some amazing things today.

-Chilton

Chilton
08-07-2006, 11:44 PM
That's very cool indeed...must be the consumer Macs I was thinking about :)

I hope Chilton took a LW9 UB cd with him to test it out there and then :)

Kuzey

Yes I did.

-Chilton

BazC
08-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi Cap,

Man, I wish I could talk about this statement. NDAs ... cursed NDAs... I have seen some amazing things today.

-Chilton

LOL must be frustrating! But who's NDAs are we talking about here, Newtek's or Apple's? And when will they be lifted? I hope you won't have to wait until Leopard is released to tell us about all this cool stuff!

BazC
08-08-2006, 02:03 AM
I just read over on CGTalk that, according to Apple sales, you can now use any PCI-E graphics card in the new Pro Macs, provided you can find the drivers of course.

See second post by Per-Anders (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=390596&page=2&pp=15)

Kuzey
08-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Coolness....and make sure you tell us how it runs...in general terms that is :D

And I'm sure you'll test it with each graphic card as well :thumbsup:

Kuzey

archiea
08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Hi Cap,

-Chilton

we need to develop a language that lawyers don't understand... like we did as kids..except that was with our parents..

dsol
08-10-2006, 04:23 AM
LOL must be frustrating! But who's NDAs are we talking about here, Newtek's or Apple's? And when will they be lifted? I hope you won't have to wait until Leopard is released to tell us about all this cool stuff!

Hmmm... I'm guessing that Leopard is going to support multi-GPU processing for Core Image, Core Animation and OpenGL. So you can order your 3 cheap 7300 GT cards, plug one of them into a monitor but have ALL of them share the video processing for maximum processing crunchiness :)

Oooooo... imagine what Apple could do with a box like this hooked up to a leopard Mac: http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html

Chilton
08-10-2006, 08:28 AM
dsol,

That's an interesting guess. I believe I am not allowed to comment on whether or not that is correct ;-)

-Chilton

BazC
08-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Oooooooo, ya big tease!

dsol
08-10-2006, 09:38 AM
dsol,

That's an interesting guess. I believe I am not allowed to comment on whether or not that is correct ;-)

-Chilton

Indeed. I wouldn't want to cause any bad blood between NT and Apple by encouraging any spillage of secrets :) It sounds like Lightwave is shaping up to become a wonderful Mac-friendly app.

Oh I didn't say before, but another target for GPU acceleration (inc. multiple GPUs) - Core Audio. Gotta' love the general-purpose funkiness of the new GPUs. I guess it's one of the reasons why apple wasn't too fussed about Cell (well, that and the fact it doesn't support double-precision arithmetic AFAIK)