PDA

View Full Version : Random cloning in Layout?

Scott Gammans
08-07-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm using HyperVoxels to simulate an asteroid field. I have a set of 10 different asteroid objects (really nothing more than ten different *.lwo files with different configurations of jittered points) that I've mated with ten carefully-configured HyperVoxel effects configurations, and now I need to randomly clone these objects a few hundred times to represent an asteroid field.

At first I thought I could use the FX_Linker plugin to randomly clone my asteroids, but I don't think that will work--I need to clone each object plus the linked HyperVoxel effect.

I've been reading the documentation on LightWave scene files and have been tinkering with some test scene files, and I have been able to successfully clone my asteroid+HV objects using nothing more than a text editor. But before I go to the trouble of writing a program to randomly repeat these steps several hundred times, I was wondering

(a) is there a way to get FX_Linker to do this, or

(b) is it possible to write an LScript that will do this, or

(c) is there a plugin that will do what I'm looking for?

I've listed these in descending order of the solution I'd prefer, but I'm open to any suggestions at this point. Thanks!

IRML
08-08-2006, 06:30 AM
I thought I was shown a different way to clone objects using dynamics instead of FX_Linker (which I always thought was a little crappy) but I can't seem to remember it now, I'm pretty sure I was shown it though, maybe someone else on the forums knows what it is