PDA

View Full Version : PC question

asmind
08-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Hey guys starting a new project in a couple of months and was wondering wat PC peeps would recommend?

Need somthing that can handle High pass rendering and over 50,000 poly's over a 1024 x 720 frame.
Not asking for super rendering times but need something with a good Graphics card and lots of RAM capability.

Any suggetions?

Ps.Maybe a budget of around 1500-2500+

Bog
08-07-2006, 06:45 AM
Need somthing that can handle High pass rendering and over 50,000 poly's over a 1024 x 720 frame.
Not asking for super rendering times but need something with a good Graphics card and lots of RAM capability.

Any suggetions?

Ps.Maybe a budget of around 1500-2500+

My 600 Compaq from PC World gets used for half-million polygon scenes, turning out renders at 1280x1024. If you want to drop that much money on a PC, get one from Alienware or Boxx. :)

nVidia graphics solutions would appear to be preferable, and PCI-E graphics cards tend to be faster than AGP graphics cards, which are now obsolescent.

I think I last spent 2,500 on a machine about five years back. You'd get a *lot* of machine for that these days.

asmind
08-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Sound mate ill check them out, thanks for the speedy response.

Bog
08-07-2006, 07:21 AM
I live only to serve. ;)

asmind
08-07-2006, 07:47 AM
ha ha ha ha ha!!

I too have days like those!:D

Bog
08-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Actually, I've just remembered that for some of the high-res BL stuff, I render up to four times that res.

LW gives you a lot for your computer's grunt. It's loving that way.

MiniFireDragon
08-07-2006, 08:25 AM
I'd suggest staying away from Alienware, their PC have gone from being expensive wonders to expensive paperweights with no tech support. Kind of shameful if you ask me.

esper8
08-07-2006, 09:24 AM
have a look here
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Full_Systems.html#afs_2d004_2doc

iconoclasty
08-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Wow. Alienware is going downhill? I've never bought one but I thought they were supposed to be top shelf.

M.A.S.
08-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow. Alienware is going downhill? I've never bought one but I thought they were supposed to be top shelf.

Well now that Dell has aquired them I have concerns. Supposedly they are to retain their autonomy, but call me a skeptic when it comes to big companies and finding ways to cut corners.

Michael

Bog
08-07-2006, 07:16 PM
No the new AienWre boxes are as complete as they always were!

(joke)

Captain Obvious
08-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Alienware is overpriced garbage. You can get the same machine for much less money elsewhere. Alienware is the company that made the Power Mac G4 look like it offered good bang for the buck!

If you want a high-end machine, I'd really recomend the new Mac Pro. Lightwave doesn't run in Mac OS X on Intel machines yet, but you CAN run Windows XP (and Vista, once it's out) on the Mac Pro. The cool thing about it is that the price is about half that of a similarly equipped Dell Precision workstation. The $2499 the Mac Pro costs gives you a tremendous amount of performance.

Or, if you're feeling up to it, you could always build your own computer. It's cheap, fun and gives you total control. It's also not particularly hard.

iconoclasty
08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I always recomend building your own. Now I feel really out of it considering I didn't hear Dell bought Alienware. I learn something new everyday on this forum.

Silkrooster
08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Take a look at HP. I ordered mine direct and got Pent 4 3.20Ghz dual with 2 GB of ram, ATI's X1600 graphics card, Windows Media center. all for under $2000.
Silk

Verlon
08-07-2006, 10:11 PM
If you are not afraid of electronics, build it yourself if you want an X86 machine.

I advise an x86 machine because you rarely see a "when will the windows version be available?" posted for software. Other than this, the Mac is a fine piece of work.

If lightwave is your sole intention....get a good dual core processor: Either a socket AM2 Athlon X2 (4800 is decent bang for the buck) or one of the new Intel Core 2 Duos if you can find one.

Make sure the motherboard will support all the ram you need.

A good PCI express video card. The Nvidia Geforce 7600GT is nice, and you can find some that are all passive cooling, which is an added bonus.

I'd think you could build that for far less than your target price.

Captain Obvious
08-08-2006, 02:11 AM
I advise an x86 machine because you rarely see a "when will the windows version be available?" posted for software. Other than this, the Mac is a fine piece of work.
Macs are also x86 nowadays, and you can run Windows on a Mac.

Bog
08-08-2006, 04:41 AM
I saw the Universal Binary of LW9 being demoed at some trade show last week ;) so it shouldn't be long before it's fully available.

I heard terrible things about the previous G5s suffering from LOTUS syndrome, though - Lots Of Trouble, Ususally Serious. I used one for a bit at the BL, and that one was solid, but I've heard enough gripes from other folk to make me think there's gotta be something in it. Point Uh-Oh software can get patched, Point Uh-Oh Hardware needs more stringent measures.

That said, the specs do look very tasty.

How about Boxx? They certainly looked good and strong at SIG.

I feel the need to point out the advantage of a large, powerful PC - you can put a Video Toaster into it. You can't with a Mac (unless someone swapped the script while I wasn't looking)

MiniFireDragon
08-08-2006, 01:02 PM
About the Alienware PCs. I have a client who bought a tower from them and a laptop. 3 months after buying the laptop the computers internal clock kept going faster and faster and Alienware refused to fix it (or couldn't) and told him more or less, not our problem. The tower they have worked nice for about 6 months. He's actually moved back onto the original alienware he purchased when it was a good name, and not about the money. It seems Alienware has become more about the money and less about the product, then again, someone here just said tehy were purchased by Dell.

Captain Obvious
08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I heard terrible things about the previous G5s suffering from LOTUS syndrome, though - Lots Of Trouble, Ususally Serious. I used one for a bit at the BL, and that one was solid, but I've heard enough gripes from other folk to make me think there's gotta be something in it. Point Uh-Oh software can get patched, Point Uh-Oh Hardware needs more stringent measures.
My brother had a first-generation PMG5 for almost three years. No problems.

asmind
08-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Wow!

thanks guys for all ur help.