PDA

View Full Version : Priorities in LW development - what do you want to see worked on first?

SP00
08-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Hey guys,

I don't know if this was asked before, but I was wondering what everyone wants Newtek to work on first. They obviously have a lot to do and can only tackle things one or two at a time. So I figure this will give us and everyone else an idea of the direction the community wants to see with LW. Here is my order list.

1) Solid bug free core.
2) Character Animation tools.
3) UNDOS that is throughout.
4) Modeler opengl
5) Consolidation and improvement of tools. (Adding snap tools in there)
6) Envelopes on all adjustable features, including numeric panels.
7) Better Hair and Fur
8) Better Dynamics. - Fluid and better control

Cageman
08-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Hmm...

1) Solid bug free core.
2) Fix all the current features in Modeler (CC, OGL etc) (being adressed now)
3) Rendering (GI)
4) Consolidation
5) Migration of Modeler-tools to Layout (at this point modeling should work 100% inside Layout). This also means a rewrite of how Layout handles selections.
6) Expand node-editor to other parts of the system (use any value to drive another value etc)
7) Complete rewrite of CA-tools, make sure the CA-tools can benefit from the new selection-sytem and expanded nodes in Layout.
8) Make sure everything works as expected AND that the SDK allows plugin-developers to access all the data they may need.
9) Updated Dynaimcs (Cloth, Hard, Soft etc)
10) Fur / Hair

DiedonD
08-07-2006, 06:52 AM
1) Solid bug free core
2) Character Animation tools like Maestro
3) Undoes everywhere
4) A better version then Bodypaint integrated
5) ..... Refer to the four above :D

pixym
08-07-2006, 07:09 AM
1) Irradiance Caching with saving solution for Archiviz animation
2) Instancing in modeler and Layout
3) Gigapoly ability
4) Ability to easy modify an objetc inside the layout

colkai
08-07-2006, 07:15 AM
1) Solid bug free core.
2) Modeler opengl
3) Consolidation of tools.
4) Character Animation tools.
5) Enhancement and expansion of edge tools and CC weighting
6) Better Dynamics. - Fluid and better control
7) Weight map adjustment in layout
8) Proper 3D / UV map painting tools

LW3D
08-07-2006, 07:17 AM
* real Symmetry in Modeler...

* widgets in modeler (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39615&highlight=widgets+modeler)

* Complete rewrite of CA-tools

* Better Dynamics

Emmanuel
08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
1)Faster rendering
2)True Instances/References in modeler
3)GUI improvements and enhancements in surface editor
(like beeing able to quickly copy/paste colours, mass shader adding...)

SP00
08-07-2006, 07:42 AM
I forgot to add basic snap tools in there. I guess it can go with consolidation and improving tools.

Phil
08-07-2006, 07:51 AM
My top ten :

1) Faster GI
2) Faster bone deformation
3) Construction history in Modeler
4) Complete undo implementation
5) Advanced glow system that supports transparency and sprites
6) Drag and drop parameter linking in Layout (with instance/copy choice)
7) Proper, usable and searchable developer documentation
8) Onion skinning in Layout OGL
9) Preview of selected UV map in texture dialogs - very useful in objects with lots of UV maps.
10) Baking engines should build image sequences if parameters change or objects move. Baking radiosity for an animation then becomes usable and useful, for example.

Wickster
08-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Since there isn't a "completely" bug-free core, I'd settle for an "even-less-buggy" core. And since I'm sure this is being worked on by the developers everyday, I won't list this on my wishlist.

Improvements:

Modeler OpenGL Improvements (On the way)
F9 Render on Modeler (since they've extracted the render core out of Layout, Modeler should take advantage of it)
Improved Character and Rigging Tools
Viper II (improved or rewritten, Layout and Modeler)
A more Open SDK or script everything, everywhere.
Modeler Tools Consolidation
Improved UV Mapping Tools

Features:
Displacement and Texture Painting
Liquid Dynamics Solution

WhiteBoy
08-07-2006, 08:31 AM
1) Full Fprime Integration (or something even better)
2) Faster OpenGL
3) Tool Consolidation
4) Fur/Hair Solutions
5) Fluid Dynamics

I think the bug-free part is pretty obvious, so I didn't even bother with it.

bryphi7
08-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Here is mine in no particular order...

1.Real render to layers(better render buffers).
2.way faster render.
3.better GI.
4.dragable render region in view port...Fprime and native render compatible.
5.tool consolidation.
6.Model in Layout.
7.solid, production ready features.
8.Switch to nodal app throughout.
9.OGL, and frprime render nodal.
10.fix CC sub d's to work as they should.
11.new animation tools.

JML
08-07-2006, 09:33 AM
1) Irradiance Caching with saving solution for Archiviz animation
2) Instancing in modeler and Layout
3) Gigapoly ability
4) Ability to easy modify an objetc inside the layout

same except I inverse the order of 1 and 2 :)

hrgiger
08-07-2006, 10:00 AM
1. Character Animation Revision
2. Modeler OGL (coming soon)
3. Opening up the SDK.

Elmar Moelzer
08-07-2006, 10:17 AM
1. Better SDK (is getting better and better already, just a few smaller hicks here and there left).
2. Full integration of Modeling Tools in Layout.
3. Consolidation of Modeler tools.
4. Faster OpenGL in Modeler (coming soon ;) )
5. Faster Rendering (Raytracing and GI).
6. Improved Viper, or integrated Fprime with support for volumetrics.
7. Availability of the new features introduced with Nodal throughout LW (also availability of some of the Nodal features in the regular texture system).
8. Better UVmapping tools ( a nice auto unwrapp for baking would be really apreciated).
9. Painting tools (also for displacement maps).
10. Well designed CA- pipeline.

pooby
08-07-2006, 10:28 AM
ANIMATION

Design a standardisation of parameters and make everything blendable
Solid set of unified rigging tools including proper constraints system.
Nodalise evrything including Motion/parameter linkup (to replace the odd - some modifiers in graph editor and some in motion options- all with different rules - 'broken' system)
Animatable Curves/splines in Layout, to deform and constrain to
Solid set of Deformers that work with all the above

Reference scenes

So you can light in one, animate in another etc - All referenced by the master scene.

modelling in layout

animatable Weightmaps

falloff effectors that can be applied to anything from motion modifiers to morphs

hrgiger
08-07-2006, 10:48 AM
3. Consolidation of Modeler tools.
9. Painting tools (also for displacement maps).

I'd really like to see these as well.

lardbros
08-07-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm replying in order of the most vital, and simplest to complete:

1) Consolidate Modeller tools, building a faster workflow and simpler interface. (Just bought LWCAD 2.0, and it's incredible how a 3rd party has given us tools like that. Newtek needs to think very hard about how it will achieve this new and improved toolset.
2) Consolidate Layout too, giving us elements that work together completely. This includes better Character animation toolsets and all displacement plugins.
3)Faster rendering and improved VIPER. Yes Newtek could tread on Worley's toes if they improve VIPER, but that's no good reason to keep it as it was years ago. Nothing better than a bit of competition.

That's it for now, there are many things i would love, but if these things were dealt with, Lightwave would start to become a leader again.

cresshead
08-07-2006, 11:23 AM
1.''f-prime style'' preview/renderer by NEWTEK
2.click-drag biped rigs in layout/modeler
3.consolidation of tools in modeler..reduce the number of buttons by 50% or more...make hunting for a tool easyer if each tool is more adaptable/capable
4.embed a swf capable toon/line/celshade renderer into lightwave...or buy the swift3d plugin and make it part of the core of lw...would extend lightwave into web/toon areas of sales.
5.modeling in layout...when?
6.add a history stack to objects/tools..would help with repetative items such as 3dtext
7.unlimited undos for all areas of lightwave
8.extend motion mixer's capabilities with layered animation
9.bring back the 'lens cap' feature as seen in lightwave 7.5
10.add better motion capture file tools

GeorgeD3
08-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Make motion mixer a global mixing and editing feature for the whole program.

For example:

Render out frames or a video clip in LightWave and have it appear in Motion Mixer for VT or speedEdit like mixes and edits.

Same for sound.

Any changes done to movement,textrure,lighting,shading,displacements,d ynamics,modeling...ect will get automaticlly updated.

Not only could we blend and mix animation and poses, but we would also have an integrated compositing and video editor to boot without ever having to leave out of LightWave...Talk about studio in a box!

Kuzey
08-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Oooooh...they all sound so good!!!

I'd be happy if each new version is miles better than the last version :thumbsup:

Anything to do with bones/animation/character thingys would be a great bonus.

:)

Kuzey

3dworks
08-07-2006, 03:31 PM
1. a core which is rock solid and with tight fprime integration (means further SDK support)
2. updated and state of the art GI/ radiosity engine
3. mass editing through all layout dialogs (change values for all selected scene elements - this is only partially implemented until now)

all the other suggestions are welcome as well, of course :)

markus

lilrayray77
08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
All that has been said above and super integration with speededit. For example, render frames directly (through the hub) into speed edit for quick editing.

Pavlov
08-07-2006, 04:07 PM
- Solid and unified core (one app).
- New (not just faster) GI engine and light toolset.
- extensive SDK improvements.
- everything else

Paolo

Elmar Moelzer
08-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey Pavlov, what exactly would be the advantage of a new GI engine, if not speed? I am quite happy if it is fast and looks good and dont care what the underlying engine does or whether it is new or old.
I mean faster GI will most likely need a rework of the renderengine in that area, but I am quite happy if it is just fast :)
CU
Elmar

KillMe
08-07-2006, 04:51 PM
a working edge bevel tool ( consolidated with a poly bevel ( think bevel ++ if you need inspiration as to how a bevel tool should be ) and point bevel all in one so i jsut need the one shortcut

the opengl updates to modeler we have been promiced

i would have asked for a pelt mapper but got a really really nice free one so sorted on that score

fix up the edge weighting so it worked with point adn poly weighting all nice and together

would like to see an improvement to HV's

and of cource the promiced character tool set - would like a biped like max has that is pre rigged etc and you jstu size to fit your mesh then add mroe hold bones or weight maps to adjust to perfection

do away with the nulls in character setups making nice easily selectable handles maybe even an nice intergrated character picker

ability to pull off viewports into floating windows

hmmmmmmmmmmm sure i could think of more but they are my main wants - well 3d painting would be nice too but dont wanna sound to greedy =)

esper8
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
The core, re-written, optomised and stable for a solid foundation for future development

Captain Obvious
08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
My list:

1) SDK that allows for a greater degree of integration between plugins and non-plugins. If something is possible to do in Lightwave AT ALL, it should be doable with plugins as well. The SDK should be so good that NewTek develops Lightwave stuff with it!
2) Less bugs!
3) Various workflow enhancements: consolidation of tools, especially in Modeler; being able to have multiple windows open at the same time in Layout; improvements to selecting multiple items; lots of tiny stuff, like being able to load an image from the image selector dropdown in the imageworld plugin.
4) Better "fast GI" quality (improvements to the irradiance caching, photon mapping, etc). I would place this at the top spot, but honestly, Kray's good enough for me.
5) Improvements to how texturing works, and how applying stuff to several selected items work in general. If I select a number of different surfaces and add a shader, the shader should be added to ALL the surfaces. If I select a bunch of objects in Layout and open their properties, I should be able to add displacements to all of them at once!
6) Better integration of Layout and Modeler. Note that I don't mean that they should be one application; I just mean that they should be better integrated.

Hey Pavlov, what exactly would be the advantage of a new GI engine, if not speed? I am quite happy if it is fast and looks good and dont care what the underlying engine does or whether it is new or old.
I mean faster GI will most likely need a rework of the renderengine in that area, but I am quite happy if it is just fast
The quality of the monte carlo GI in Lightwave is excellent. It's one of the highest-quality GI renderers you can get. The problem is that it's horrendously slow, even in Lightwave 9. There is interpolated radiosity, and it's fast, but the quality is pretty bad. What Pavlov and I want is global illumination rendering that's faster than the monte carlo mode, but offers higher quality than the interpolated mode.

Bog
08-07-2006, 07:46 PM
*lights up with zippo*

Fix the cigarette lighter.

OK, seriously?

1) Continue the bug-stomp, sweep out all the legacy bits and pieces that worked at the time but could be done better. I know you're doing that anyway.

2) Acheive commonality with the OpenGL implimentation between Modeler and Layout.

3) Indeed yes, please let us F9 a Modeler viewport, inheriting camera properties from the current Layout camera.

4) Vertibevel. Only smartened up so I can lay edgeweights with it on subd's per contour vertex. An OpenGL preview of the surface I've selected and am bevelling wouldn't hurt.

5) I would like 21st century dynamics with that, please. Wind Paths are a huge step in the right direction, but even a more comprehensive suite of presets for MD, plus a swag of tutorials, would work marvels. But yes, I want to be able to animate a cable in three mouse-clicks just like those guys who dropped eight grand on their software.

6) OpenGL thumbnails in the "Load Object" window. Really. It's the obvious thing to go with "Save Increment".

7) More modeler tools in Layout. Being able to edit vmaps (including morphs) in Layout would save years. Literally. Just give me "select map" "select vertex" and a Magnet and Drag like I've got in Modeler and I will bear your firstborn. Somehow.

9) Weight-map biased APS. I know this would be a right ***** to impliment, but being able to weight a bit of a model and say "This is kinda flat, this is way lower priority to subdiv than these frondy bits" would be a bit of a timesaver at render-time.

10) Proper Copy and Paste in all panels. Though this may be part of Point 1

11) A webcam and RSS feed over Steve Worley's shoulder that updates me every time he hits "return". A paypal link that registered LightWave users can put into, and when it reached $100, he gets a big electric shock and an illuminated sign descends over his monitors saying "POST AN UPDATE ON YOUR WEBSITE". I feel safe that this will be the most popular feature. We pay our Worley Tax, we should have some comeback. ;)

bryphi7
08-07-2006, 08:08 PM
9) Weight-map biased APS. I know this would be a right ***** to impliment, but being able to weight a bit of a model and say "This is kinda flat, this is way lower priority to subdiv than these frondy bits" would be a bit of a timesaver at render-time.
bog,
Not trying to be rude at all...
If I understand what you are saying? I think we have that already...:)

Silkrooster
08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Man what a list. I would love to privately see the NT Team's list.:hey:
Anywho, Besides making the core more solid, I would love to see some tools that no other 3d software package has.
I have a general idea where NT is going, though no specifics. I am willing to sit back and enjoy the ride.
GO NT GO, :boogiedow I still have the faith. :yoda:

Captain Obvious
08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Couldn't you set that up manually using the texture-driven subdivision along with a distance to camera gradient and a weight map gradient? It's a bit more work though, I guess.

Maybe a "displacement threshold" would be useful! Unless the displacement surpasses a certain level, it shouldn't subdivide more than a given amount.

Bog
08-08-2006, 04:50 AM
WHups! Looks like you're absolutely right about the weight-mapped APS already (and if I'd had a cup of coffee, I wouldn't have run my Pixels per Poly value from 0 to 1... or I'd at least have realised what I was doing before I hit F9)

So can we bump the "WorleyWatch.p" addition up to #10 then please? ;)

*edit* Doesnt' seem to do *quite* what I'd expect, but I guess I haven't figured it out right yet. I just completely missed the E and T buttons. D'oh.

Elmar Moelzer
08-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Hey Captain Obvious!
But thats what I meant, the biggest issue is speed. So if they can fix that, who cares what method they use?
CU
Elmar

Pavlov
08-08-2006, 05:30 AM
I mean faster GI will most likely need a rework of the renderengine in that area, but I am quite happy if it is just fast :)
CU
Elmar

Hi Elmar, the advantage is flexibility.
Current GI engine has by far too few options to tweak it, i dont want only to "make it look good", very often i need to control what i do and tweak it, to make it look good my way.
I feel comfortable with options and tool. A good compromise could be an "advanced tab" so tech people could go in depth, other not. I.e. i love Kray, it gives you control over everything. If you look at nodal it's not exactly a simple thing, so i guess NT is not scared anymore by controls and deep tools. If someone can use Nodal, he can use Kray too - or some solutions with much more control than now ;)
Again: Plain montecarlo looks good but has a physical limit due to its calculations; it hardy can be as fast as some other solutions. So unless they implement new tecnologies - fprime is so fast because it implements much more thing than a simple montecarlo algorithm - i doubt it will be fast and look good.
Also interpolated mode is kinda an irradiance caching without final gathering so we have to rely on the patchy MB trick... it's an incomplete solution by now.

Also lighting tools are weak and old, each light should get much, much more options, but this is not what you asked me ;)

paolo

Elmar Moelzer
08-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Well if it was faster than FPrime even, who would care about the method they used? Interpolated, Irradiance, Final Gathering, or MC, or other algos... I dont care as long as it looks good and renders fast.
Honestly, if NT managed to make the MC- based GI render as fast as Vray, who would complain? I am not saying that it can be done, but if they did it, I would be the last one to ask for an Interpolated method instead.
Anyway, of course you are right and most likely an improved interpolated method with final gathering might be the best solution, but I honestly dont know that for sure. Maybe the developers at NT will come up with something better?
CU
Elmar

Pavlov
08-08-2006, 07:37 AM
sure, you right about this... i was only pointing out that it's nearly impossible to make a competitive GI engine without rewriting it and implementing newer technologies. If they come out with an engine fast as Vray i wont care (hint - i'm lying, i'll do anyway...) of how they did, and i'll be happy.

As i said even then i'd like to have much, much more control than now, regardless speed.
I.e i want to control tonemapping, bleeding, secondary bounces, GI caching (load save or save over as i want, like in Kray), controlling sampling of everything in a more accurate way... i.e why just a 1-5 parameter for Arelights...(which are still double side only) ? Put tolerances and threesholds everywhere instead, and the same for noise reduction and blurred raytracing. And much more, but let's move on ;)

Paolo

Elmar Moelzer
08-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Hey Paolo, I aggree on the lighting thing. Single Sided Area lights would be very helpful IMHO. I would also like dome lights and sphere lights, options for texturing lights (e.g. with gradients). Personally I would love to have a light plugin class so 3rd parties can add their own lighttypes to LW.
CU
Elmar

Pavlov
08-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Yep. i'm asking for a light plugin class for years, my hopes are on new team.
This would give us IES, much better lighting and shadowing tools and much more - by ow area shadows and shadow maps are at the most basic implementation possible.

Paolo

Bog
08-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Oh, there's a thing - shadows. Yeah, the shadow-map options are... well... old. Really. Having a multiple-map system like Shadow Designer or (whisper it) xsi would be a real boon.

Pavlov
08-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Area/linear tools are way old too. Directional, cone and falloff control should be on every light, every shadowing system (much improved) too.
Shadow caching, baking, bias (ever saw your shadowmap sweep under the object ?), then again adaptive grain threesholds, more advanced, graph based falloffs (ever needed a light to stay constant until a distance and then falloff ?), Ies, surface exclusion, advanced image projection and texturing in both intensity and color channels, cone/cylinder shaping and custom shape Arealight, spline linearlight, etcetcetcetc... sooo many thing to add here.

Paolo

TSpyrison
08-08-2006, 09:10 AM
I would love to see screamernet re-written so that an Idiot like me can set it up..

(That might be asking for a bit much though :D )

pixym
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I would love to see screamernet re-written so that an Idiot like me can set it up..

(That might be asking for a bit much though :D )

I am quite agree, a new network render fast and EASY to set up by anybody would be useful

Bog
08-08-2006, 10:08 AM
One simple rule for Ease and Freedom for Screamernet Rendering:

Don't use spaces. Ever. Anywhere. At all. The Underscore Is Your Friend. Not in computer names, not in folder names, not in filenames. One space in your filename and BLOOEY! SN fall over go boom.

If that simple rule is followed, then just Share the folder with LightWave in it as a drive - say, M:\ - and everything else is just "Map drive, create shortcut."

Then right click, select properties, and change the commandline from

M:\Programs\lwsn.exe

to

M:\Programs\lwsn.exe -2 M:\Programs\Job2 M:\Programs\Ack2

or whichever CPU number you've got. If your .cfg files all refernce M:\ instead of C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave3D then you're golden for both local machine and remote nodes.

Sorry, it's just so blimmin' easy when it's done right. I want the fallacy that LWSN is hard to set up to DIE.

Phil
08-08-2006, 10:44 AM
For me, I'd like LWSN in mode 3 to be able to get first, last and step information from the scene file. This would make it very easy to drag and drop scenes onto a desktop shortcut. I'm not sure why this isn't the default behaviour to be honest, with the ability to specify one or more of the above on the command line to override the scene file.

Anti-Distinctly
08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Methinks...

1. Improved GI
2. Consolidation of tools - more viewport interaction of tools instead of opening panels and inputting numbers when we should be able to do this stuff interactively
3. Vastly improved UV mapping integrated with the new edge system (for seams)
4. Better OpenGL (especially showing nodal)
5. Versatile layout painting functions
6. Decent hard body physics using physx or something
7. Integrated hair

I reordered those alot when writing this and I've no doubt forgot something :)

archiea
08-08-2006, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=SP00]Hey guys,

I don't know if this was asked before, but I was wondering what everyone wants Newtek to work on first.
[QUOTE]

....on the standard edition or on the pro edition? :D

archiea
08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Since there isn't a "completely" bug-free core, I'd settle for an "even-less-buggy" core. And since I'm sure this is being worked on by the developers everyday, I won't list this on my wishlist.

Improvements:

Modeler OpenGL Improvements (On the way)
F9 Render on Modeler (since they've extracted the render core out of Layout, Modeler should take advantage of it)
Improved Character and Rigging Tools
Viper II (improved or rewritten, Layout and Modeler)
A more Open SDK or script everything, everywhere.
Improved UV Mapping Tools

Features:
Displacement and Texture Painting
Liquid Dynamics Solution

really good list.. especiall the [f9] in modeler.. this may go a long way in appeasing folks that wont both the apps combined...

Captain Obvious
08-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey Captain Obvious!
But thats what I meant, the biggest issue is speed. So if they can fix that, who cares what method they use?
CU
Elmar
Regardless of how much time they spend optimizing the monte carlo GI in Lightwave, it will still be incredibly slow compared to irradiance caching methods.

Piolla
08-08-2006, 06:04 PM
1- Character Animation Tools with improved IKB in a Animation Master way with a muscle simulation system.

2- Native furr

3-Fluid Dynamics

Elmar Moelzer
08-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Might be true, as I said, I dont care what method, just make it fast ;)
CU
Elmar

pixym
08-08-2006, 07:51 PM
.../ I dont care what method, just make it fast ;) .../Elmar
And also NOISEFREE & FLIKINGLESS!

mattclary
08-08-2006, 08:47 PM
OPEN GL!

archiea
08-09-2006, 12:20 AM
next question: how long is everyone willing to wait for such features?
or
How much is everyone willing to wait for such features!

digital verve
08-09-2006, 03:21 AM
What I consider essential in no particular order:

FAST OPENGL in Modeller
Full modelling ability in Layout
Viper Xstreme (not having to be reliant on FPrime for fast previewing)
FAST GI
Decent network renderer controller (Screamernet is awful and very 90s)
Instancing
History
Fluid dynamics
Shadow maps available on all lights
A proper inbuilt hair solution
Improved more intuitive workflow in Layout including graph and scene editor.
Being able to have any panel stay open without getting closed to allow another to be open.
Decent tutorials with manual to put features in context.

Plus a usable char anim system that anyone could set up and use easily from instructions in the manual (even for someone like me), so time can be spent animating instead of being frustrated with popping IK, gimbal lock etc.

colkai
08-09-2006, 03:22 AM
And also NOISEFREE & FLIKINGLESS!

..a new buzzword in 3D, 'FLIKINGLESS' :p hehe. :)

SCS5
08-09-2006, 05:55 AM
What I consider essential in no particular order:

FAST OPENGL in Modeller
Full modelling ability in Layout
Viper Xstreme (not having to be reliant on FPrime for fast previewing)
FAST GI
Decent network renderer controller (Screamernet is awful and very 90s)
Instancing
History
Fluid dynamics
Shadow maps available on all lights
A proper inbuilt hair solution
Improved more intuitive workflow in Layout including graph and scene editor.
Being able to have any panel stay open without getting closed to allow another to be open.
Decent tutorials with manual to put features in context.

Plus a usable char anim system that anyone could set up and use easily from instructions in the manual (even for someone like me), so time can be spent animating instead of being frustrated with popping IK, gimbal lock etc.

All of the above.

Interactive Editable Bezier path curves directly in the Layout camera view-port.

Loose the numeric pop-up panel. It should be a part of the UI that's available in Layout & Modeler at ALL times

Modeling in Layout & Modeling in Layout. Did I say Modeling in Layout?

Dock-able Panels through out..No more pop-up windows. Right now the way the UI works Is just pure clutter.

More Lighting Options, Shadow maps on all lights, spherical area lights, Etc.

Closer integration between the Graph Editor & the Scene Editor.

Nodes throughout.

Re-think the location & grouping of all the tools in Layout. Reorganize to speed up the work-flow. Right-now there are so many tools that interact with each-other that are in different locations that the work-flow grinds to a halt. Doing things that should just be 1 or 2 mouse clicks. Take going from panel to panel to panel + all the mouse clicks in each panel.

Phil
08-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Final stated removal of the legacy plugins might help get some developers moving who are relying on these. You are stretching the definition of legacy if you are still providing them by default after 3 major releases and 7 years.

Oh, and having steamer back would still make me happy :b

SP00
08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
I think this is how e-on dealed with legacy issues with Vue 5. They have a seperate program that will convert all older files and get it up to date for the new file system in Vue 5. I also think this is probably the smartest way of handling it. Because you get rid of your file legacy issues and never had to implement them into the main program. This will give us a clean interface without all the redundant tools. For example, node editor have 3 layer nodes that is basically a copy of the normal texture layer system. The program can just take the older layer system and convert it to the layer nodes.

Loose the numeric pop-up panel. It should be a part of the UI that's available in Layout & Modeler at ALL times.

I like the pop-up panels, I just wish they were dockable. Heck, I wish all panels were dockable

Cageman
08-09-2006, 09:32 AM
I like the pop-up panels, I just wish they were dockable. Heck, I wish all panels were dockable

Haha.. yep, agreed! However, I think this should be a low priority imho. There are so many things in LW that doesn't work with eachother so that must be nr 1 priority to fix. Make things SEE eachother. This is far more annoying than Camera Properties window changes to Object Properties window when selecting an object.

SCS5
08-10-2006, 05:58 AM

For numeric input for any tool in Layout, or Modeler I was thinking about a small bar on the right side of the UI that would always be there for numeric input. It would have enough room down the right side of the UI to display all the numeric info for what ever tool or function was selected & would update accordingly. It would be sort of like a real-time interactive statistics window.
If you were making adjustments with the mouse you'd see all the numeric values changing, or you could just type em in. And YES I'd like dock-able throughout!

And NEVERKO thanks for the lattice deformation reminder I used to love this tool for global sculpting & morphs! We need it in both Layout & Modeler.

wavk
08-10-2006, 12:19 PM
-stability
-interactivity
-GI
-instancing

mlon

zapper1998
08-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Everything listed above..yeppers

Network Renderer (ScreamerNet) that saves out the Anamation File as what we set it at.

Example: We save the scene animation, as a .mov QT format, and it renders it as a .mov file.

Because I can't get it to render a .mov file for some reason, it should, shouldn't it ????

1. Better Network Renderer....(ScreamerNet)III