PDA

View Full Version : pc - mac conversion

badlydrawn
06-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Hi to you all

these is kind of newbie questions so appologies before hand. I am thinking of changing to a powerbook and use lightwave (for pc so far), so its a big factor in the decision making. Therefore if you guys could help me out with these questions it would be great:

i) can OS X read ntfs drives? - not really LW related but thats where all the data is.

ii) are there any major issues between the compatabilities between LWO, LWS and other file formats (surface, etc) of LW other then the .ext addition and sometimes dos conversion of LWS files?

iii) how do render times compare - ie between a 1GHz mac and say a top end PC using the benchmark scenes (radiosity, raytrace and so on)?

iv) is LW for mac and PC different or are they on the same CD? (cost wise : )

v) are there any graphic conflicts with the ati or nvidia cards with LW?

thats all for now, looking forward to hearing from you guys. thanks in advance.

Red_Oddity
06-05-2003, 03:18 AM
1] NO, OS-X can't read NTFS, and it probably never will...
I advise you to either change the partition to a FAT32 format or just buy a FireWire/USB HD (don't cost too much, and has multiple uses), make it FAT32 and copy everything you need.
You could offcourse also just use a network to copy everything from the PC to the MAC (can easily be setup with the help of Sharepoints (http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/))

2] Nope, all should just work, just make sure you don't use any Shaders or other plugins that are not available for the Mac platform (anything other LScripts)

3] Errrmm, i'll probably get flamed for this, but a PC outperforms a Mac on anyday on sheer horsepower...
Then again, don't just go for benchmarks alone, just test a scene you made and know uses setups and settings you use in a everyday render, compare those...(when i did it the dual Xeon (2GHz) ran twice as fast as the dual G4 (1.42GHz), and the single CPU Pentium 3 (733Mhz) ran at the same speed as the dual G4 (800MHz)

4] They are exactly the same, better yet, the CD and dongle (the new ones) are dual format, meaning, even if you buy a PC LW version, it will still run on a Mac, even the dongle...and vice versa offcourse...

5] Hard to tell really, the top off the line cards from Ati run as well as the top of the line cards from nVidia, even the drivers have had an overhaul for the better last time (meaning the Achillies heel of the Ati cards is no longer the drivers)

One note though...video cards on Notebooks leave a lot to desire, as does the amount of memory...make sure you have the best and plenty of it...would be a waste of money otherwise....

marble_sheep
06-05-2003, 09:14 AM
I hope you don't get flamed, Red, because it is true. I love my Mac and would never use Windows as my main platform, but if you are going for sheer speed, a top of the line PC bests the top of the line Mac any day. Especially if you are getting a Laptop... those always seem to be slower anyway. The ideal situation, if you can afford it, is to keep a high-end PC around for rendering, and use the Mac for everything else. I have a dual 1.25Ghz, but for times when there's a rendering crunch, I borrow a friend's PC to help speed things up. Like I said... I love Mac, but I love it for being so stable and having such a powerful OS, not because it's the fastest thing out there. I hope this doesn't scare you away from buying a Mac, because they are great machines, but it's better to know all the sides first.

Beamtracer
06-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Especially for laptops? I wouldn't say that. Because Mr badlydrawn is considering buying an Apple Laptop, it is a different issue to desktop models. I'd prefer an Apple 17" Powerbook to 2 Dell laptops any day. The PowerPC processor also drains less power than a Pentium, making battery life longer.

OS X uses file name suffixes (".ext") just like Windows does. In Mac OS9 and earlier, the file type information was kept in the meta data of the file. Because of the UNIX roots of OS X, the suffix must be there, though there is an option to hide it from view.

marble_sheep
06-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Beam, I was referring to laptops vs. desktops. Yes, I agree that Mac laptops are better than their PC equivalent, but laptops are slower than desktops of the same clock speed. He didn't state whether he was comparing laptops to laptops, or laptops to desktops, so I guess I made the assumption that he was comparing a Mac laptop to a PC desktop... which we all know what assuming does....

badlydrawn
06-06-2003, 07:04 AM
thanks for the info - yeah i know that laptops are less powerful then desktops/workstations but laptops the way i am thinking of going (need space : )

i was thinking of a general comparison, kinda like mac to wintel in Lightwave terms, but i wouldn't want to get anyone into trouble : )

Well theres still a bit of time, supposedly there might be new powerbooks after a month or something, a bit more time to compare stats.

and just to give you an impression what i am speeds i am experiencing, i have a Dell Inspiron 8000 P3 850MHz - so i guess anything will be an upgrade from here, eh? : )

thanks again for the help.

Red_Oddity
06-06-2003, 07:14 AM
Ermmm...i'm confused now...

I did indeed compare desktop models...my bad...

As for Dell laptops and Mac Laptops...i think they pretty much are equal (price classes compared then...)

The Titanium from Apple is 'just' a G4, meaning it runs as fast as a desktop model, which is amazing, so if you are working on a desktop model you can still use it to render some hefty scenes...

As for power consumption, well, buy some extra batteries, always, you can tell me people buy a laptop worth over $4000 US and not buy some extra batteries worth a fraction of the cost of the laptop...

And Beam, OSX still uses some pretty freaky extention system (if only they ditched that OS-9 legacy), it still sometimes doesn't know that a TGA should be opened in my image viewer and not in Photoshop...Also, it doesn't always change the internal meta extention when changing the file extention (not sure if the Mac has a extention manager alla windows, which is very handy)
Not a complete dissaster, i can live with it, but annoying none the less...

badlydrawn
06-06-2003, 11:30 AM
ah my bad sorry, i thought you were comparing powerbook to dual wintel.

anyhow, i just got the deal of the century from ibm today, so might have to push my powerbook conversion for another few years. but this deal is just too good to miss, a t40p with dual wifi, bluetooth, 512ram, etc etc for ... less then 50% of the shelf price. oh and its brand new with 3 year warrenty - perfect. this just made my weekend. : )

rick_r
07-02-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
4] They are exactly the same, better yet, the CD and dongle (the new ones) are dual format, meaning, even if you buy a PC LW version, it will still run on a Mac, even the dongle...and vice versa offcourse...On

I realize this is an old posting but there are some differences between the mac and pc version of LW. I use the pc version at work and I have the mac version at home. There are several buttons missing on the mac version such as reduce polygons. I think someone posted a complete list earlier.

eblu
07-02-2003, 10:39 AM
and omg! they added ntfs support to panther!

so yes, there really is a santa claus, and you will be able to read NTFS drives in os X (barring unforseen bugs and conflicts of course).

mlinde
07-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by rick_r
I realize this is an old posting but there are some differences between the mac and pc version of LW. I use the pc version at work and I have the mac version at home. There are several buttons missing on the mac version such as reduce polygons. I think someone posted a complete list earlier.

Rick, you can download the 7.5c update for the mac, pull out the plugins, and install them in your 7.5 version, and those functions are restored. Newtek did the coding to restore those functions to OS X.