PDA

View Full Version : Reduce keys in Graph editor - what a waste of time.

stib
08-07-2006, 01:10 AM
The reduce keys command in the graph editor seems to be next to useless to me. Rather than take the keys and find a curve that fits it best it works like this

The Reduce functions let you remove consecutive keys that are within a certain threshold value of one another. The threshold is set by selecting Set Key Reduction Threshold.

This way of doing it is as dumb as dirt: it results in either significant changes to the shape of your curves, or no change at all.

For example if had a curve that looks like a sine wave, say I've imported a motion path and there are keys on every frame. Now an intelligent key reducer could create a curve using only a couple of key frames per cycle. However if I apply lightwave's reduce keys to it, all it does is square off the tops of the sine wave (because those keys are close to each other in value) and doesn't affect the parts of the curve where it gets steeper. If I increase the key reduction threshold it squares off more and more of the tops, until I completely erase my curve alltogether.

Does anyone know of a plugin that inteligently reduces the keys in graph editor?

Dodgy
08-07-2006, 03:19 AM
I do! http://www.tmproductions.com/FrameSets/FS-Products.html
get keystrainer, it's the best :)

stib
08-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Ahh, that's more like it..

evolross
02-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes, Keystrainer just did the trick for me... it doubles as a keyframe filter/smoother when you tweak the thresholds. Is there any more modern versions of a plugin like this? Maybe one compiled for x64?