PDA

View Full Version : ClothFX and Motion Designer

RedBull
08-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Has anyone actually tried to use Motion Designer at all in LW9?
I wrote a similar message elsewhere, without response...

It's definately broken in LW9 and works okay in LW8.5.
It's plainly obvious when you try to calculate anything it's screwed.

I know it's a legacy plugin, so i don't want new features but can we at least make it work like 8.5?

I had never used the FXBreak FX including LW cloth until yesterday,
and i must say i'm completely unimpressed. Motion Designer is far faster, and has more options to tweak. It also has multithreading as an option And Cloth FX isn't multithreaded at all.... So PLEASE don't forget about this plugin.

ClothFX calculations seem to be the same speed on LW8.5 (if not a little slower) and if you ALT-Tab to another application or change focus during calculations, it hangs until you force LW to close. It shouldn't do this obviously, Especially on quad processer PC's when LW Dynamics are only using one. and it's still quite unresponsive when trying to cancel. It crashed twice and is really slow compared to competing cloth solutions. (Thankgod Syflex is on the way)

lino.grandi
08-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Has anyone actually tried to use Motion Designer at all in LW9?
I wrote a similar message elsewhere, without response...

It's definately broken in LW9 and works okay in LW8.5.
It's plainly obvious when you try to calculate anything it's screwed.

I know it's a legacy plugin, so i don't want new features but can we at least make it work like 8.5?

I had never used the FXBreak FX including LW cloth until yesterday,
and i must say i'm completely unimpressed. Motion Designer is far faster, and has more options to tweak. It also has multithreading as an option And Cloth FX isn't multithreaded at all.... So PLEASE don't forget about this plugin.

ClothFX calculations seem to be the same speed on LW8.5 (if not a little slower) and if you ALT-Tab to another application or change focus during calculations, it hangs until you force LW to close. It shouldn't do this obviously, Especially on quad processer PC's when LW Dynamics are only using one. and it's still quite unresponsive when trying to cancel. It crashed twice and is really slow compared to competing cloth solutions. (Thankgod Syflex is on the way)

I've found ClothFX to be far better than MD on every aspect, with a lot of more options, faster and very stable. That's really strange.

If you use FXBrowser while calculating dynamics, you can ALT-TAB to other applications and the system never hangs.

RedBull
08-07-2006, 12:49 AM
I've found ClothFX to be far better than MD on every aspect, with a lot of more options, faster and very stable. That's really strange.

Thanks for the input, i will continue to play with with ClothFX, a full day
of playing yesterday resulted in bad deformations on a simple object, and i definately find it slower. However i find it's more accurate on not clipping collision objects like MD does, which is good. But not really impressed.

If you use FXBrowser while calculating dynamics, you can ALT-TAB to other applications and the system never hangs.

Ahh, thanks for the tip, I will use FX Browser from now on.

However i would like Motion Designer fixed, as it also has the advantage of
not resetting everytime i hit F9, Thats' just silly.

Bog
08-07-2006, 02:10 AM

Your Mileage May Vary. I've had a good few lock-ups whilst calculating in FXBrowser when I clicked something on the desktop (Windows XP).

Dodgy
08-07-2006, 03:34 AM
Found something odd this morning when trying out clothfx. Two identical balls, both 264 polys, one calculates a lot quicker than the other. The slow one has more weightmaps and what not on it though, I'm not using them for anything though..... Might be something worth looking into.

lino.grandi
08-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Found something odd this morning when trying out clothfx. Two identical balls, both 264 polys, one calculates a lot quicker than the other. The slow one has more weightmaps and what not on it though, I'm not using them for anything though..... Might be something worth looking into.

Check the subdivision order. On "Last" Clothfx calculates using the cage points of the object, on First all the points after subdivision are taken into account.

Dodgy
08-07-2006, 05:28 AM
Thank you, but I did know that :)

RedBull
08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
No weightmaps are used on my objects in this test scene.
It's just a cloth object, sphere and floor......

Motion Designer is roughly 3 times faster in the calculation of the scene,
compared to clothFX. (i have them both setup in the same scene)
The only difference is MD deforms much better than ClothFX.

However as usual Motion Designer has bad accuracy as it falls through the sphere object a little, while ClothFX reacts as you would expect and doesn't clip the sphere, however when it folds onto the floor, it's showing tearing and bad deformation.

I plan to comparisons between various cloth engines to test stuff...
XSI is next on the list...

PS: Does anyone know if it's possible to break a brickwall with HardFX?
I have a brickwall, i then used crackit to crack it, the wall has HardFX applied
to the object and a Null set as collision, the wall breaks apart okay as expected.

But i notice that the peices do not break on subsequent impacts...
For example the main colission breaks the wall into 20 parts, what i want is for those twenty parts to break into a further 20 parts on impact with the ground collision object, but instead they just roll and tumble.
I can't seem to get them to break apart again.

Is this a limitation? Or anyone know of a trick or workaround?