PDA

View Full Version : What is Lightwave 3D 9 Discovery Edition?

Chuckpie
08-06-2006, 08:58 PM
I am a newbie to Lightwave and I was told to I could download the discovery edition to try it out. the problem is the manual does not match the download. Mainly the modeler access is not in the upper right corner of this edition and the discovery version has an extra tab above the workspace called modeler tools. Also is there a site to get a video(dvd) or good learning manual for version 9 yet?
Thanks Chuck:help:
:help:

BazC
08-07-2006, 01:53 AM
There is no difference between the Discovery edition and the full edition, they're actually the same app! Lightwave uses a hardware device called a dongle to authenticate the license, if this isn't plugged into the computer LW runs in "Discovery mode" the only differences I am aware of are you are limited to 400 points per layer, there is a watermark on renders and the hub is disabled. The hub allows communication between Layout and Modeler. Without it you can't switch between them with the buttons in the top right corner. If you're in demo mode the buttons should be there, if they aren't try rebooting your machine.

I believe LW9 should run in full trial mode (no limitations) for 30 days before changing to the limited Discovery mode.

There are no published books on LW9 yet, it's only been out a couple of weeks! Much of what has been written for earlier versions is still applicable though.

pumeco
08-07-2006, 04:26 AM
There's a Discovery Edition - where?

I've looked for a demo of LightWave, but can't find it under downloads, and I don't have a copy of LightWave to register in order to get access to other downloads.

How would I get a copy? :help:

BazC
08-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Hmm, no I can't find it on Newteks site either.....

Phil
08-07-2006, 05:18 AM
Drop a note to [email protected]

SP00
08-07-2006, 05:21 AM
it is coming, i already asked for it. jay said the finishing touches are being put in right now. i hope basic tutorials r also included.

Chuckpie
08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
You guys are correct the version I downloaded was an up grade which stays a discovery edition version without the dongle. I had contacted Gary the West coast sales rep. he told me he was sending a version 9 demo. I received it today and it was a version 8. I contacted sales to purchase version 9 but they do not have it available with the manuals at this time. Since I know nothing about the program that would not work for me, so I have purchased software from another company. I wish to thank those of you who responded and wish you the very best. I am sure Newtek will have software available soon but for now as the old saying goes, you can't sell anything from an empty shelf. Chuckpie

Thor Simpson
08-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Since the dongle is required to unlock the full version, shouldn't the latest version of 9 just be a public download?

metahumanity
08-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Oh my!

It is SOOO beyond me why there´s no PUBLIC download link on EVERY single page of this site for the upgrade/demo, and maube on other CGI sites, too, in the form of a banner link.

What is this constant reluctance to really spread the software around the globe all about?

Surreal.:thumbsdow

Phil
08-08-2006, 10:41 AM
I think mostly this is down to wanting learning material with the package. It's also going to be interesting to see how the demo and material are kept in step with the rapid evolution of LW during 9.x

Thor Simpson
08-09-2006, 09:16 AM
I think mostly this is down to wanting learning material with the package. It's also going to be interesting to see how the demo and material are kept in step with the rapid evolution of LW during 9.x
Yeah, it seems to me that it would make sense to build all of the learning material/tutorials right into the app and just make it a public download that's unlockable via license/dongle, always the latest version. I would like any tutorials they provide without downloading a seperate Discovery Edition or add-on.

I'm sure NewTek has thought of this though, so who knows what the drawbacks are. Perhaps it's coming at some point. First priority would be just getting a Discovery Editiion out there for the public, but it just seems so simple to have it be the actual software. Of course, "seems simple" and "is simple" aren't always the same. :)