PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave with Collada?

Truecoz
08-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone new if :newtek: NT has any plans to support Collada?

Also, anyone have any experience with Collada?

Any information on Collada would be appreciated.:dance:

Thanks,

-Chris :yingyang:

Karmacop
08-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Is there somewhere that described the format or how it should load? All I ever seem to find are test cases.

Truecoz
08-05-2006, 09:27 PM
:hey: Karmacop,

Have you checked out these websites? -

http://www.khronos.org/collada/

https://collada.org/public_forum/welcome.php

Chris :yingyang:

RedBull
08-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I have looked briefly at the format specs, and on the surface it does seem to be for the most part a well thought out fileformat, with some clever methods
and future expandibility. I have not looked at the latest 1.4 revisions.

Usually i'm wary of supporting fileformats unless they have realmerit, and future viability. But i believe anything that can help remove the dependance
on an Autodesk owned format like .FBX is beneficial to LWers and 3D in general. If the format can provide a real interchange of data between
say Maya/Max/XSI/Blender/LW as well as many game engines, plus it's opensource.

You only have to look at the succsess of Marks PointOven format, which used our own MDD format, to make a link between Maya/XSI/LW..

So if a free opensource file format can be used to offer better integration between games market and professional 3D, i think NT should offer a Collada 1.4 importer/exporter for LW.

While originally looking into the format in 1.2/1.3, i noticed a lot of developers
not happy with the direction and implentation they were taking in some areas.
I'm unaware if these issues have been resolved or improved over 1.3/1.4.
Regardless, various game engines, and most other 3D applications such as XSI and Blender both support the format.

I do suggest that LW9.x do add Collada, (and possibly DWG/DXG for importer/exporter for archviz people.) As i think it's an actually important format, but i too would like to be aware of any drawbacks or limitations it may contain that i'm thus far unaware of.

PS: Someone has already started an Lscript loader.