PDA

View Full Version : how to wrap text in a circle? Bend tool?

illusory
08-05-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to make a string of text objects into a 360 ring. Simple, right. No way. I've tried using bend and spline guide -- no luck at all with spline guide, which will wrap the guide nodes nicely according to a circular curve in a background layer BUT -- doesn't wrap the letter string in any comprehensible way. Played with it for ages, even called Newtek. They couldn't figure it out and said they'd get back to me. Still waiting.

As for the bend tool, I can get it to bend around in a cirlce ok, even though the settings make no sense at all to me, but i can only do it with the mouse, which also skews it in unwanted directions. So, I'm bending around the y axis, but I get unavoidable tilt on the x or z axis. Is there no way to constrain this movement? Choosing the 'Y' axis in the numeric box seems to have no effect on this, and trying to perform a bend without dragging with the mouse (choosing'apply', and setting my 360 deg) yields bizarre and unexplainable results. I've tried everything i can think of.

Can anyone clue me in about this tool, and/or how to get the spline tool to work?? Yes, I have read the manual. It is zero help.

thanks for any clues,
NJ :bangwall:

Maxx
08-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Have you tried bending it in Layout with bones, then saving transformed or just using the deformed version? Not sure if it'll work for you, but it's another avenue to explore.

SCS5
08-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Hold down the ctrl key while bending, this will constrain your bend to 1 axis.

SCS5
08-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Choosing the 'Y' axis in the numeric box seems to have no effect on this, and trying to perform a bend without dragging with the mouse (choosing'apply', and setting my 360 deg) yields bizarre and unexplainable results. I've tried everything i can think of.

Can anyone clue me in about this tool, and/or how to get the spline tool to work?? Yes, I have read the manual. It is zero help.
thanks for any clues,
NJ :bangwall:

Newtek, How-about a REAL MANUAL!!! Let's see It's only taken from version 4 to, where are we now? Oh yea..9 and the manual still sucks! We have to buy books from other people who've taken the time to really explain how each version of Lightwave works!:thumbsdow Come on Newtek..10 years and you still can't figure out how to write a manual??:thumbsdow :thumbsdow Time is running out!

illusory
08-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I too thought the ctrl key would restrain it to one axis, but it does not. It says in the manual that ctrl restrains this tool to 15 degree increments -- a lot of good that does me, i'd rather have the axis control....

bones won't work for this, btw, it's a long string full of delicate characters that have to be arranged in a perfect circle.

but thanks.

any other ideas? Surely others have had to do this...?

Maxx
08-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Are the characters beveled or extruded or would simply creating a cylinder, using a clip map, and setting the object to double sided work? If they're beveled, are the faces sufficiently subdivided to allow spline guide or bones to work? And even if they're just beveled with no extrusion, could using the cylinder/clip map/double sided with an edge bevel shader work?

Just making sure the basics are covered...

Wade
08-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Have your text in the back view, move in the right or left view with the bend tool. You will need to have your text start at 0 on the x axis. should work for you does for me.

illusory
08-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the pics, Wade, but that's a different type of bend, similar principle though. MIne are supposed to be oriented with the letters facing outward -- yours are facing upward. I think we're on the same track about the views, axis, etc. If you could tell me how you got them to lie straight, not tilted or skewed -- as in the last image, that might help. Maxx, these are going to be extruded, after I get them into a circle, i will use Thickener2, which extrudes along the normals.

Please, would you guys, and anyone else who is knowledgeable about the bend tool, please try this experiment, if you have a minute?:
1. Make a long thin cylinder (easy, with the disk tool, subdivided a good amt)
2. lay it along th x axis
3. use the bend tool, from Right or Left view, in which the depth is the x axis
4. click on the end of the cylider that you see, drag to the right and watch the numeric dialogue box as it goes up to 360 degrees.
5. BUT ALSO, notice how in the window you are dragging in, that while the cylinder is bending around, it is also moving up and down. This leaves you with a result that is skewed on the other axes.
THEN
6. Try again without dragging in the view, but just using the numeric panel. Set 360 degrees, hit apply -- wierd things happen.

If anyone can explain how to get this to work without the skewing on the other axes, it would be very helpful. I don't seem to be able to just tilt the resulting circle, because it doesn't line up quite right, and this thing has to be really accurate or it will wobble when animated.

Especially, if you can get a result by 'activating' and 'applying' the tool, meaning just using the numeric panel, that would prevent things happening on the wrong axes. I actually did this a couple days ago, hitting a lot of different settings in the numeric panel and somehow by accident getting the magical combination ! Spent hours trying to get it to work again, same situation, to no avail...:bangwall:

many thanks for any help on this,
NJ

Dodgy
08-06-2006, 11:18 AM
What is odd.... I get a donut, just like I'd expect.

illusory
08-06-2006, 11:38 AM
But is it a donut lying straight on the xz plane? Don't you get wobbling up and down as you bend it? Admittedly, a line of fine characters is more sensitive to this. Maybe with a very long and thin cylider you would see it?

thanks,
NJ

Dodgy
08-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Do you work with grid snap on or off?

jdsax
08-06-2006, 12:40 PM
This is a bit more time consuming but it will work. Type the text and set your desired thickness. Put a circle in the background of whichever view you need. Select a letter, rotate and move as necessary using your background circle as your guide. Repeat with the other letters. You will still feel like this :bangwall: but it will get the job done. Eventually.

Simon
08-06-2006, 01:07 PM
illusory - I know what you mean about the bend tool, it would be nice if it constrains like in image A, but the ctrl constrain only affects the amount of bend so it's easy to accidentally bend it like image B. Always struck me it shouldn't work like that.

Simon
08-06-2006, 01:10 PM
.... and if you want your letters to face outwards use Wade's example but have the letters facing up before you bend them down.

kruemel_1
08-06-2006, 01:45 PM
C_Bend from Pictrix may help: http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/index_1.html

Wade
08-06-2006, 07:08 PM
And use the left mouse button to strech out the blue guide to the full lenght of you text or object that needs to be bent.

illusory
08-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for these ideas.

Simon, yeah, that's the problem i'm talking about. I see from your pic it happens bending 'up' as well as bending 'out', like i'm doing.

I'll see if Dodgy's point about the grid snap helps -- i never thought of that and I do work with it off.

jdsax, i have done this kind of thing by hand as you describe, but there are 100 letters here! With all the time i've spent messing with this, yeah, i could've done it that way by now! (and gone mad :eek: in the process...) But then maybe figuring it out will save time and tedium in future.

I'll check out that Cbend, bet it's a smarter one, coming from pictrix.

thanks,
NJ

jdsax
08-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry, I thought you were only doing a word or two and may have been under a time constraint. 100 letters? Wow.

Oh, and of course everyone else had a better solution. I learned something new myself, which is to be expected since I'm a noob. I haven't worked with altering text all that much yet.

pdp editor
08-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Please look at my screen shot I'm trying to bend this text along the circle in the BG a quick search of the forum has revealed many post concerning this effect however they are not clear to me. The bend tool shears and distorts the text I just want it to arc up from the center along the lines of the circle in the bg.

pdp editor
08-25-2008, 06:08 AM
adding the numeric panel to the screen shot would really be helpful. in wades post his screen shot crops out which view is what ie only the right view is labeled. His steps can not be followed becuase of his cropping.

meshpig
08-25-2008, 07:11 AM
What's the problem? The bend tool likes more geometry rather than less, in the back view it more or less always works but be careful where you constrain from.
-If you numerically bend too close to 0 you ain't bending anything and if you constrain from the mouse also consider what you are bending. See, this is the sort of BS problem which makes people want handles in modeler.

m

meshpig
08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
... then metaform sub d, or metaform plus or LWCAD make quad or just tripled bent again through 360 deg;

Jim M
08-25-2008, 10:57 AM
If you're geometry is hard surface then placing by hand is a good option so as not to create nonplanar ngons. If its subDs, bend works fine.... its easy...

JMCarrigan
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
- so I must be missing something? See attached. I don't comprehend the trouble.

pdp editor
08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
OK this is going nowhere more and more screen shots of text properly bent without the how it was done. saying its as easy as pie with a screen of the finished product without the instructions on what was done is useless.

this is what the bend tool does for me!!!????

danielkaiser
08-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Is this what you want?
If so use Adobe Illustrator or some such vector program.

Jim M
08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
this is what the bend tool does for me!!!????

You must do it in the correct viewport

Dexter2999
08-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Illustrator is hands down the easy way.

Now. If you don't have Illustrator, try doing it this way.

Step One.
Make a guide by putting a disk in the background channel. This is just for your reference.
Then put your text in the next channel. In this case I repeated the text to make enough to go all the way around the circle. (Circumference= Pi*radius squared...if you want how "long" the text must be to wrap around.)
Step Two.
Place the text at the top center of the guide you made for yourself. Then in the Side view, select the bend tool and drag straight down watching your back view until the text conforms to the circle.
Step Three
Extrude in the side or top view.

Good Luck
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Dexter2999/step1.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Dexter2999/step2.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Dexter2999/step3.jpg

Jim M
08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
or a more thorough explanation...... The easiest way is to type in the front or back view, place the text left aligned (i.e. to the right of the origin), have action center as origin (for argument sake), bend tool (right or left view depending on how your views are setup) with the middle mouse (being careful with your vertical mouse movement). If you want to be accurate, undo the bend then select the bend tool again, hit n for numeric and type in 360deg into the requester....

If you are still having problems after all these different methods explained, then give up and have straight text.

pdp editor
08-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I learned that automatic and fixed were at the center of my problems. in the numeric panel this option made the differance. I also learned that holding the control key and using the bend tool in the back view were the only way to achive this effect.

pdp editor
08-25-2008, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=Dexter2999;740318]Illustrator is hands down the easy way.

Now. If you don't have Illustrator, try doing it this way.

Step One.
Make a guide by putting a disk in the background channel. This is just for your reference.
Then put your text in the next channel. In this case I repeated the text to make enough to go all the way around the circle. (Circumference= Pi*radius squared...if you want how "long" the text must be to wrap around.)
Step Two.
Place the text at the top center of the guide you made for yourself. Then in the Side view, select the bend tool and drag straight down watching your back view until the text conforms to the circle.
Step Three
Extrude in the side or top view.

Good Luck
Thanks these instructions were what I was looking for

Jim M
08-26-2008, 02:50 AM
This thread is amazing....

JMCarrigan
08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
This thread is making ME thirsty, Cosmo.

JMCarrigan
08-27-2008, 11:38 AM
thirsty for a cool bend tool made by a third party that bends stuff really easily and with lots of user control? :D

Yep. Uh huh!

rkpdesign
08-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Have either of you tried the bend plugin from Pictrix?

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Cbend/index.html

Not sure if this is what you're needing, worth a try?

Also, please post if you've used/had success with LW95, ok?

Thanks

pdp editor
08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I downloaded the plugin however this thread solve my issue without me having to use it. I must say I was kinda put off by the fact that the site is in another language. I may try it this weekend if I have the time