PDA

View Full Version : Mpeg2 file won't play

dch
06-04-2003, 10:31 PM
I have encoded a mpeg2 file for use in my Authoring program. Used TMPGEnc to do the encoding Used the template that came with the pro version for NTSC DVD with the exception that I increase the quality to high quality, and used a CBR of 7000kb/s

The file plays fine with real player, but won't play when placed on the TED timeline. I can click the edit line to random positions in the mpeg2 file and it will show the image, but if I try to scrub the edit line toaster locks up.

The same mpeg2 file also locks up DVDit PE when I try to move chapter points on its time line. It will play the file fine if I don't fool with the time line.

Anyone with Ideas or solutions?

David Hunt

Danner
06-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Since to toaster is designed to be a real time editor and decoding an mpeg2 is highly compressed, prosessor intensive, and the compression is multy frame not single frame, which means to see one frame you need to decompress a segment of video.. it is a bad idea to try to use it on the toaster, you could use force render, if you must bring it in.

Paul Lara
06-05-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by dch
The file plays fine with real player, but won't play when placed on the TED timeline.

David,
ToasterEdit uses DirectShow filters to assist in it's multi-format capabilities. You need to install an MPEG-2 DShow filter on your computer, as the one offered by Elecard and Moonlight Software (http://www.moonlight.co.il/6down_free.htm)

That said, given that it locks up your DVD authoring program could be a sign of something messed up in your stream's encode.

dch
06-05-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Paul Lara

That said, given that it locks up your DVD authoring program could be a sign of something messed up in your stream's encode.

[P]
That would seem to be the case, but let me add that I encoded the file twice, the second time lowering the bit rate and using more of the defaults. My earlier encoding used the recommendations that were found in Eugene's article in NewtekPro.

I also took a 2 minute section of the same project and encoded it with the same settings and the resulting mpeg2 file had no problems in the authoring software, but it had the same response in TED.

I burned a DVD with the last full length mpeg file and the Disc worked fine. I then used the disc to refine the time codes I needed for my chapter points. Then I was able to enter the new chapter points using the authoring programs time code method of setting chapter points. I had to restart the program about five times before I got it to take the new time codes without locking up.

David Hunt

dch
06-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Paul,

I failed to thank you for the heads up about the mpeg2 decoder.

Thanks

David Hunt