PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new Camcorder

Ryan
02-18-2003, 09:24 AM
We are upgrading our video system so I just ordered a new Toaster [2]. Cant wait for it to get here. The next step is going to be replacing our little sony dv camcorder with somthing more seriose. I have been looking at the Cannon XL1s, Panasonic DVX100, and the sony PD150.

Over 75% of our video will be shot in the studio. The rest will be out in the field. So a portable camera with good image stabilization is a must. A camera with a 480p opt ion would be a very good thing since alot of our video goes on the net. (i know internet video sucks now but it will be a bit differant in a few years.) 16x9 would be a big plus but not a requirement. $5000 is where I will probly top out.

Love the new forum BTW.

chuckd
02-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Since you're looking at mini dv cameras already why not step up to a 1/2"CCD camera? Much better image quality and waaaay better audio...

The JVC DV 500 is a terrific camera and can be had for under $5k now.

Jim Capillo
02-20-2003, 04:44 AM
Looks like I am going with the Panasonic DVX100, mainly due to the 24P/3:2 pulldown features. Very nice picture, great lens and with a web price of around $2800, a great deal. Maybe a Glidecam setup, too!

PIZAZZ
02-24-2003, 09:30 AM
I have a client who is very excited about the new Panasonic DVX100. The video looked quite good that I saw.

I would suggest the XL1s or the DVX100.

The only thing is the DVX100 still looks like a small camcorder to the average person. The XL1s looks more expensive. Just some thoughts also. Keep in mind if you feel you need to justify your hopefully higher price to your clients. We know that bigger does not mean better but some clients still think it does.

Jim Capillo
02-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I know..... the perception thing :p

Many of my clients are repeats, and I get a lot of work by word of mouth. Most customers wouldn't know a BetaCam from a Bazooka, but I do plan on getting a 4X4 matte box to go with the DVX-100. That will make it a bit more imposing while offering more flexibility with filters and such.

I have heard nothing but good stuff about this camera - hope it lives up to its rep !

Faraz
02-24-2003, 07:04 PM
Has anyone tried using that camera with Blade? I wonder if it really works like they claim.

Ryan
02-25-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I think we are going to go with the XL1s. It seems to fit better with what we do. The DVX100 was a close second place. I have read that the DVX100 is easier to shoot with but has lower overall quality. (marginaly of course) Seems as though you couldnt loose eather way really. Too bad we cant get that JVC.
I do have to admit that part of the reason is that the XL1s looks more impressive from the outside. Not only do we tour our clients through here alot but we will be shooting them as well.
And we of all people should know that when it comes down to it... Image does matter.

Thanks for all the info.

Ryan Brady

Faraz
02-26-2003, 01:19 PM
You can sport Cannon XL1's everywhere, in all sorts of advertisments of video products. I have an XL1 I like it and when I got I didn't have much say so in it.

Congrats on getting a new camera-
I need a Toaster, I haven't had one for 3 weeks-
Faraz Ahmed

Rich Deustachio
02-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Also take a look at the Sony DSR-250.

Jim Capillo
02-26-2003, 05:30 PM
I also took a look at the XL1 (that is the "chainsaw" model, isn't it?) - I just couldn't get a good ergonomic "feel" with the thing....... kept looking for the gas fill on it ! ;) :D

Faraz
02-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Yep, I think the XL1s has a similar body.

kleima
03-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Sony recently came out with the PDX10 which is smaller than the PD150 and has 1 megapixel chips for higher res still images. It is also cheaper! I have one and am very pleased with it.
It (as well as the PD150) does not handle dark scenes, with bright lights, without smear, and any dark scene gets grainy because I believe there is an autogain. But outdoor/well lit studio stuff looks phenomenal!
The PD150 and the PDX10 both have built is XLR inputs for audio, which the XL1 does not have.

The JVC GY-DV500 handles the dark scenes much better with virtually no smear. But, the GY-DV5000 is available, so don't buy the DV500. Neither of these camera have image stabilization, however.

skinny
11-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Does Vt3 support 2:3 pull down with the dvx100 at 24p?

Jim Capillo
11-17-2003, 07:49 AM
Not now.....

Pete Draves
11-17-2003, 07:57 AM
I presented the DVX100 camera at NAB in the panasonic hidef pavillion. I shot the demo footage on tthe strip the day before nab at night. The camera impressed me. color detail and not much vertical smear usually associated with small chip cameras.

Yess it works in both 24p modes with blade (beta tester).
I recoment that if you want to go to video that you shoot 30p
with the toaster you can de interlace the transitions.
I you want 24 p blade will handle the output well and you can encode in 24p with playback 3/2 pulldown in Tempeg
most authoring programs will handle this.

Pete

JonCrowe
11-17-2003, 04:34 PM
I shot for a couple of years with the XL1 and then the XL1s, and
I was very happy with the quality/performance. However, I was blown away when I used the AG-DVX100 for the first time. Right out of the box it made better pictures than my "tweaked" XL1. You can come close on color but the DVX100's contrast and sharpness are head and shoulders above the XL1. The other features like skin tone detail, color matrix, cine-gamma, the 24p function, phantom power, and a useable viewfinder(both the eye-cup and flip-out lcd) really put the nail in the coffin on the XL1. I have both, but it's been a long time since I've shot anything with the XL1. Not to mention the DVX100 is less expensive.

Pete Draves
11-17-2003, 04:56 PM
yes.yes.yes.

If any one wants to see some of the dv footage from NAB
Please email me
[email protected]

Pete

cholo
11-18-2003, 12:43 AM
I have a dvx100 and all I can say is I have never looked back since I started using it. I have had a couple of problems though but I don't know if my unit is defective or if it is common to all dvx100's, however they can be worked around. One is that when shooting in progressive modes I get heavy magenta coloring in highlights, as if one of the ccd's was becoming saturated with light before the other 2. This I have overcome by color correcting the highlights in post.
And the second problem is that any iris aperture above 5.6 (meaning the iris is less open) and the images become blurry and unuseable, again, with both steps of ND it can be dealt with no matter what the light situation or shutter speed, however, when people unaware of this problem set the iris to automatic the images they return with are usually crap :(
But on the bright side when shot adequately the images are really stunning, I even prefer the progressive footage over D35 betacam interlace shot footage any day of the week because the apparent resolution is much greater with finer detail. I only wish it was less noisy but you can't have it all. I have yet to try out the professional version, the 900.