PDA

View Full Version : Omega and radiosity

Thomas M.
08-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Am I missing something or does it simply not work together? I found pretty nice settings with a regular light, but rendering a radiosity pass didn't show any brightness with Omega. Do I need to use Kappa or did I forget to klick on a checkbox?

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Celshader
08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
What mode of Omega are you using? It has two "fake" modes ("No Raytracing") and two "real" modes ("Full Raytracing").

Thomas M.
08-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Sorry for my lousy description, but it was pretty late. I tried to render one image only with Background radiosity, which is presented by an HDRI. But I didn't see any difference, even when I changed the settings (Raytracing or none). Is the effect so subtle that it's invisible?

Cheers
Thomas

Karmacop
08-05-2006, 01:21 AM
You'll need to use monte carlo ...

Thomas M.
08-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Oh - my - god!

But thanks. I'll give it a try.

Cheers
Thomas

Karmacop
08-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Don't quote me on that, but I'm fairly sure BG radiosity simply lights and does no further raytracing, something I consider a bug as it doesn't go through transparent polygons or in your case doesn't come into play with the omega shader. If using monte carlo works can you reply to this thread to let us know? Thanks.

Thomas M.
08-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Did something I should have done yesterday: Increase the amount of the SSS effect. Well, it's there, but it's wired. While having one distant light I achieve a nice skin look by using Omega and an OrenNayar/Minnaert mix. When I switch off the distant light and use background radiosity or Monte Carlo, the Omega amount is simply not anymore visible. Even if it is still there, for the eye it's black. But OrenNayar/Minnaert are absolutely visible. I'll need to break down my backdrop image to multiple lights with HDR shop and see if it looks the same. From my point of view the SSS effect should be as much visible as in the distant light image. Probably the way LW calculates radiosity and SSS changes the relative amount of the visible amount of each shader. Did anybody else have the same feeling, that the SSS effect is disappearing? It might be only me and my scene, but actually I'm a pretty experienced user ... in general ... unless I don't see the forest because of all these trees.

Cheers
Thomas