PDA

View Full Version : QT Image Sequence trouble

Johnny
08-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm having problems Opening Image Sequence with QT pro..all of a sudden.

I've been doing this for years: create a sequence in LW, open them with QT Pro, Save As Animation, then ship off to FCP.

Today's clip of 660 images loaded WAY too fast, and the clip didn't seem to have what it needed to play the sequence properly, and was very jerky and jumpy, and missing big chunks of the sequence.

Any thoughts? I trashed the QT prefs, but that didn't clear things up.

thanks for any ideas!

J

ScottSullivan
08-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Have you tried saving as H.264, Video or NTSC? Also, do all the images in your sequence load up alright. Maybe one of your images is currupt and is throwing off QT.

Other than that, I think I'm at a loss. I've got LW9, Macbook Pro 10.4.7. Exporting sequence on Windows box (LW is on XP computer until UB is ready), copy over network to Macbook. Load in QT, edit in FCP.

*shrug* Sorry.
Scott

Johnny
08-03-2006, 07:43 PM
I guess saving out as other formats is something I could do, but I feel that there's an issue with QT pulling in the images to begin with.

I'm exploring that angle right now by test-rendering segments of that LW scene to see if I can isolate a mystery cause for this.

dunno...I'm scratching my head here...

J

Chilton
08-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi,

Just so I understand the workflow issue here, you're using QT Pro to create a movie sequence of a bunch of images, right?

-Chilton

Johnny
08-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi,

Just so I understand the workflow issue here, you're using QT Pro to create a movie sequence of a bunch of images, right?

-Chilton

yes, the work flow is like this: LW>image sequence>QT Pro>Animation file>FCP

Chilton
08-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I don't have QT Pro myself, and it's been a few years since I used it. It seems like every time I buy it, they come out with a new version of QT that my license key won't work in ;-)

But the basic idea is that you have a big stack of images, and you want to create a movie from that, right? Are there other options you normally use, like setting the size of the final movie, frames per second, compression type and level, etc.?

Thanks,
-Chilton

Johnny
08-03-2006, 10:58 PM
But the basic idea is that you have a big stack of images, and you want to create a movie from that, right?

yep, that is the idea exactly. been doing it without issue for years. I'm thinking (as I test) that I just hit a 1 in a zillion fluke.

Again, I'm not having issue with the Save As (format) stage, but with QT pulling in all the images, assembling them properly, playing them smoothly stage.

maybe it's the heatwave...

J

Chilton
08-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Is there a particular compression type you use for this phase, or do you prefer the movie to have no compression?

Darth Mole
08-04-2006, 02:34 AM
Heatwave? Is that some fancy hardware extension to Lightwave?

(With regards QT Pro, I've no idea - I do the same thing a lot and it always works perfectly. Maybe some weirdness with the file location/hard disk issue? Try copying the entire folder and trying it again)

ScottSullivan
08-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Here's a thought. Even though it plays jumpy, try exporting as a low rez web video. Then load up that video in QT to see if it plays that alright. If it does, then maybe it's a memory thing and your QT is choking on a memory issue.

Or make a 30 frame sequence. Short and sweet. I'm thinking maybe QT just can't play back the sequence, but might be able to export a clean movie. To be honest, I've never encountered this, though.

Warm regards,
Scott

DM: Heatwave is similar to a program/worm that causes many people in the United States to lose their system's salinity levels and requires a liquid cooling system to be installed for the main CPU. CPU temps often are seen to exceed 100 degrees F. (translation: it's frickin hot over here in the States right now!)

Johnny
08-04-2006, 11:21 AM
when I do that, the resulted exported movie plays the same, unsatisfactory way.

I am re-rendering the thing now, in steps, first with no RT, then with RT on, then at higher levels of AA.

the image sequences are being pulled into QT properly; maybe today's high-res test will work?

still seems a mystery..

J

Johnny
08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
OK..this is wierd..I am now having the issue again on that sequence right after I turned RT back on!

to my knowledge, the resulting pictures aren't more complex after they're rendered...

I am contemplating hanging a string of garlic over the Mac..this is too wierd.

J

Johnny
08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
the smoking gun *seems* to be my having re-activated ray tracing in that scene.

I sent the image sequence to another, identical mac of mine, and it too the appropriate amount of time to open, but played jerkily, too.

but at least it looked like it was *trying* to play it.

then, when I tried to export as Animation, it cooked away for a few minutes, then produced a "failed, error -39"

I guess next is maybe my scene is corrupt; I can re-make a scene file and open the model in that, then try.

seems wierd to think that Ray-Tracing could bork the end-product images, tho...

J

Chilton
08-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi,

Can you email me ( [email protected] ) one image of sequence? Preferably one that has caused the movie to be either jerky or which has failed.

Thank you,
-Chilton

Johnny
08-04-2006, 04:09 PM
well, I appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't know which image is the "bad" one.

the thing starts burping and puking right off, sometimes jumping ahead, sometimes jumping back.

for lack of more sophisticated language, it almost seems that turning ray tracing on "contaminates" the images with something that confuses QT pro, but I don't know what that contamination might be.

frames are the same pixel dimension and file size..not like they're 80 times larger.

I don't mean to get silly, but what I'm trying to say is there's nothing that I can see which would explain the wierd behavior.

maybe a more programmer-savvy person could tell...

J

Chilton
08-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi,

Any file in the batch is fine.

I'm just curious ;-)

-Chilton

avkills
08-04-2006, 05:45 PM
What type of files are you saving for the image sequence. I've been doing Targas from 9 and it has been fine importing into AfterEffects.

-mark

Johnny
08-04-2006, 06:27 PM
What type of files are you saving for the image sequence. I've been doing Targas from 9 and it has been fine importing into AfterEffects.

-mark

psd files LW_pshop24 is the selection on the output file type menu

J

Johnny
08-04-2006, 08:32 PM
OK..problem solved..I think.

I pulled my model into a new, freshly-created scene and rendered.
QT pro pulled the image sequence in and played it properly.

Guess my prior scene file had issues which cause QT pro to have issues.

that's all I know.

to infinity and beyond!!!!!!!

J

Chilton
08-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Johnny,

For obvious reasons, you're under no obligation to do this, but I'd still like to look at any of the pics in a series that failed. What I'm interested in is the non-image portion of the data. Even if the image you have on hand is not corrupted, it may give me a clue as to what happened. I'd like to find out if LightWave is making files that cause QT to choke.

Thanks,
-Chilton

toby
08-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Hi Johnny, how are ya?

Maybe you didn't notice but Chilton is a (if not the) Mac programmer at NT - so you'd be doing all of us a favor if you sent him a sample image!

Thanks for 'lurking' Chilton! Always good to see you here

Johnny
08-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Johnny, how are ya?

Maybe you didn't notice but Chilton is a (if not the) Mac programmer at NT - so you'd be doing all of us a favor if you sent him a sample image!

Thanks for 'lurking' Chilton! Always good to see you here

yeah..y'know that didn't occur to me until after I made a new scene and got a successful render, then came back to this thread and noticed that he was a programmer for NT..

I e-mailed him with one of the frames, so maybe on monday he'll get to see whatever's up widdit.

FWIW, I made a completely new scene, and got that one to render frames with RT on, which QT Pro successfully opened into a sequence, then played properly. whew!

Guess my head was so into that problem I didn't see that he was the Mac programmer at NT!

sorry!

H

Chilton
08-05-2006, 04:10 PM
yeah..y'know that didn't occur to me until after I made a new scene and got a successful render, then came back to this thread and noticed that he was a programmer for NT..

I e-mailed him with one of the frames, so maybe on monday he'll get to see whatever's up widdit.

Monday? What kind of programmer takes off on weekends?

FWIW, I made a completely new scene, and got that one to render frames with RT on, which QT Pro successfully opened into a sequence, then played properly. whew!

Guess my head was so into that problem I didn't see that he was the Mac programmer at NT!

sorry!

H

It's no problem at all. When things go a little wonky, it's often easier to find a bug than when it just crashes, or completely messes things up.

Picture received, and I'm looking into it now. However, I will be at WWDC all next week, so my posts here may be sporadic.

-Chilton

Johnny
08-05-2006, 04:34 PM
cool..

you know that I'm using a PPC mac and LW 8.5...hope what you find helps intel users too.

J

Johnny
08-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Hi, Chilton;

were you able to learn anything from that image I sent you?

after I rebuilt my scene in a new file, I worked with it no problem until last night, when I did a simple render (no RT, and no AA) of that sequence, 660 frames, and when I tried to play it by opening the image sequence with QT pro, it opened too soon, and QT just played a few frames of it and whizzed right through it..same problem as before!

dang!

any ideas?

FYI, the fPrime animated preview does play properly and smoothly.

J

jeremyhardin
08-15-2006, 08:54 AM
have you tried anything other than the psd format? I used to use the same LW > QTPro > FCP workflow regularly and my TGA, TIFF, etc. sequences never played realtime after import but always exported properly. I'd suspect a psd thing before I'd suspect LW, FCP, or QT problems.
(if I understand you correctly, that is).

Johnny
08-15-2006, 09:34 AM
well, I can certainly test that idea out.....

thanks for suggesting it!

J

toby
08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
I tried to play it by opening the image sequence with QT pro, it opened too soon, and QT just played a few frames of it and whizzed right through it..
J
I had this exact same problem when the image sequence name was too long. QT can only take so many characters. I had to download a renamer program to shorten every name in the sequence.

Johnny
08-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Hmmmm...any clue how long the name can be before QT has a konniption?

J

dsol
08-15-2006, 10:39 AM
I normally render out as 24 or 32-bit PNGs. But it sounds to me like the likeliest cause of the import/export problems in QTPro is a corrupt (or missing) frame. If you view your rendered image sequence in Finder in List mode check the file sizes of all the images and see if there are any files which seem odd - like a file which is 2KB when all the others before and after are 600KB

If that's the case, delete the dodgy frames, re-render them (in the same folder) and bob's yer uncle - hopefully!

This is problem I sometimes come across when doing network renders, so if you've been rendering to a remote volume it might be the same issue.

Johnny
08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I had this exact same problem when the image sequence name was too long. QT can only take so many characters. I had to download a renamer program to shorten every name in the sequence.

yep. that was it. Just used a renamer to re-name each image in the sequence, THEN QT properly pulled them in and played them smoothly.

d'oh!

thanks!

J

Chilton
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
yep. that was it. Just used a renamer to re-name each image in the sequence, THEN QT properly pulled them in and played them smoothly.

d'oh!

thanks!

J

Hi,

Glad that was it! I was afraid we were doing something horrible to files down the path. Looks like we weren't.

-Chilton

toby
08-15-2006, 09:27 PM

d'oh!

thanks!

J
Glad that worked! Sorry I didn't realize the problem til now, and I don't know the limit on characters - I've just seen OSX concatinate long names - you know, when you see stuff like '#B985' instead of the full file name - QT was doing that, then the images would be out of sequence.

ScottSullivan
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Stupid file names, trix are for kids! Glad you got that worked out. Amazing something so simple could cause such a headache. Last year I took my Nikon D70 digital still camera to Walmart to process a few pics off my compact flash card.

Got the pics back and they were all weird colors, like all greenish or all blueish. Looked fine in computer, on the camera's display and on their machine's monitor. But when printed out, screwed up colors. After an hour, we figured it was my camera had named the files with an underscore as the first character ("_DSC_001, _DSC_002, etc") and that underscore was the culprit.

Anyway, glad it's fine now! Wish I could have helped more.

Chilton
08-16-2006, 05:38 PM
To be clear here, is the problem actually with QTPro or LightWave? Is LightWave creating file names that are truncated due to length, or does this happen inside QTPro?

Thanks,
-Chilton

Johnny
08-16-2006, 06:33 PM
well, I am grateful for the help and the helping..never know which suggestion will pan out.

seems the problem is with QT Pro and the length of name it will accept.

J

toby
08-16-2006, 09:28 PM
To be clear here, is the problem actually with QTPro or LightWave? Is LightWave creating file names that are truncated due to length, or does this happen inside QTPro?

Thanks,
-Chilton
I agree that it's QT's/OSX fault, but maybe LW could be tweaked to not allow too long a name?

In my case the frames were named and rendered on PC.

Chilton
08-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Well, technically it's a QT problem, I suppose. MacOSX has supported long file names for a long time. We support them in LightWave, so I'm really surprised QT does not. I suppose we could alert the user or something if the names are too long. However, this is really something that should be fixed by Apple for QT, in my opinion. What version of QT Pro is doing this?

Thanks,
-Chilton

toby
08-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Wow you're right, I thought it was an OSX limitation.

I'm using QT7.0.4 with OS10.4.4.